There is NO DRIVER SHORTAGE

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don’t know what LDB was driving, but the balance is three vans, two tiny straights.
So that equals the capacity of a real truck.

And I’m so proud that Rags is working part time to relieve some of the strain he put on the lost capacity issue.

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I say yall should do something about it. Go back to work fulltime! Come on, don't be part of the problem, be part of the solution LOL.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
They’ve been saying this for years, ba humbug what’s short is driver pay, always has been always will be heck some companies are paying the same rates as 1989, and insurance, regulation, BS Has quadrupled, ELDS, CPAP, Alphabet soup and still the same hours and pay...shortage my Billabong...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I stumbled upon this article today which made me curious.

Walmart wants to hire 900 truckers and pay them nearly $90,000 a year.

Has the driver shortage become a real thing? Diane and drove ten years from 2003-2013 and there was talk the entire time about a driver shortage but it was not real. Trucks had drivers. Freight moved. There were no delays due to the lack of drivers. There was no upward pressure on wages to draw more truckers in.

In that period, a Walmart gig was not bad. The pay was higher than what most OTR carriers paid. Walmart drivers had fewer complaints than most others. But the pay was not $90,000. That's a big jump if real.

Just curious, has driver pay improved dramatically in the last five years?

If so, was electronic logging a contributing factor? It was not yet mandated for all OTR trucks when we drove.