The Trump Card...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
When politicians go on and on and on about something, especially if it involves some kind of scandal, you know it's probably just political BS.

But when they suddenly stop talking about it, you know there's probably a problem there.

Adam Schiff is a good example of that. He was on drone mode for a while there, going on and on and on about the alleged surveillance and Nunnes being in cahoots with a Trump about it. Then he read the intelligence reports. Suddenly, he's basically "no comment" on it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Interesting that Trump did not sign this bill in a Trump-style signing ceremony where people gather around him to watch him sign, he says a few words and holds the document up for the cameras to view his distinctive signature. This bill was signed behind closed doors. Why would he do that?

Also, how does it help the people who voted for him, and any other citizen for that matter, to give our privacy rights away to our internet service providers?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Interesting that Trump did not sign this bill in a Trump-style signing ceremony where people gather around him to watch him sign, he says a few words and holds the document up for the cameras to view his distinctive signature. This bill was signed behind closed doors. Why would he do tha
He was sitting there ready to sign it, but the White House Press Pool kept asking him questions unrelated to the task at hand. So he got up and walked out. Signed it later.

Also, how does it help the people who voted for him, and any other citizen for that matter, to give our privacy rights away to our internet service providers?
That's not entirely accurate. The congressional legislation Trump signed came about as a result of the Congressional Review Act (CRA) that allows Congress (and the president) to overturn recently passed agency regulations that were implemented within the previous 60 legislative days. It prevents, for example, an outgoing lame duck president from putting a snotload of regulations in place at the last minute. Which is exactly what happened, and Congress has overturned most of the ones Obama put in place.

The legislation is question hadn't even gone into effect yet, so nothing was taken away. By overturning the regulation, things remain exactly as they were before the regulation was put in place by the FCC.

The biggest problem with that regulation was it treated broadband ISPs differently than Facebook and Google, for example. I'd prefer a more comprehensive regulation, that actually goes through the rule process, BTW, that deals with all collections of personal data.

One problem is the new head of the FCC. He used to be with Verizon, and when he was on the board of the FCC he voted against anything that limited ISPs, including this particular regulation. This particular regulation was a bad one and should never have been put in place, but he would have been against it even if it was more comprehensive.

It's the Net Neutrality that he'll likely go after next, because it means big bucks for providers. But it squashes competition and innovation. That's the one that most people, me included, are going to have the bigger problem with.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
He was sitting there ready to sign it, but the White House Press Pool kept asking him questions unrelated to the task at hand. So he got up and walked out. Signed it later.

Apparently not, according to this report.

Excerpt:

If you’re looking for pictures of the president signing this measure into law, however, you won’t find any – which is itself a notable departure from Trump’s usual m.o.

As a rule, Trump, obsessed with “optics” and the appearance of work, likes to put on a show when signing bills or executive orders. This White House takes stagecraft very seriously, and officials don’t like to pass up opportunities showing the president “getting things done.”

That changes, however, when the president is getting unpopular things done.

When Trump signed legislation expanding gun access for the mentally impaired, he did so behind closed doors. The same is true when Trump revoked federal guidelines “specifying that transgender students have the right to use public school restrooms that match their gender identity.”

No cameras, no ceremony, no tweets, no carefully chosen Americans to stand by the president’s desk. It’s hard not to get the impression that Team Trump knows when the public won’t like what the president is up to.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The legislation is question hadn't even gone into effect yet, so nothing was taken away. By overturning the regulation, things remain exactly as they were before the regulation was put in place by the FCC.

That may be but by signing this bill, instead of vetoing it, Trump gifted to internet service providers unfettered access and rights to our data trails. These data trails are significant regarding our online privacy and their monetary value. This bill gifts our data trails to big companies, providing them with a huge financial benefit while giving away our privacy to do so. Not only do we lose our privacy, we lose it without compensation of any kind.

In his inauguration speech, Trump said, "The forgotten men and women of our country will be forgotten no longer. And I will fight for you with every breath in my body, and I will never, ever let you down."

As I see Trump hide behind a closed door to transfer my online privacy rights to my internet service provider, his words ring hollow.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That may be but by signing this bill, instead of vetoing it, Trump gifted to internet service providers unfettered access and rights to our data trails. These data trails are significant regarding our online privacy and their monetary value. This bill gifts our data trails to big companies, providing them with a huge financial benefit while giving away our privacy to do so. Not only do we lose our privacy, we lose it without compensation of any kind.
Just as nothing was taken away, nothing was likewise gifted.

All of this stems from a regulatory control turf battle between the FCC and the FTC (a battle that I have serious doubts that Trump has been paying any attention to over the years), with the FCC declaring broadband Internet providers as being the same as a telecom utility, so as to regulate it under the Telecommunications Act. Here's a short piece on it (F.C.C. Approves Net Neutrality Rules, Classifying Broadband Internet Service as a Utility) compete with the comments from what it now our new FCC Chairman.

For for record, I'm not at all a fan of our new FCC Chairman Ajit Pai. I wasn't particularly on board with former FCC Chairman Wheeler, either, and over the years paid close attention to his comments and actions. Being involved with the Internet from virtually the very beginning, I've seen it go from the free and open glorious idea that it was to a much more clamped down, related thing. But everything that's good about the Internet still comes from the parts that are unregulated, and every regulation is one of a thousand paper cuts.

Certain types of regulation is good, though. I rather enjoyed, for example, when Wheeler snapped back hard Verizon when they tried to back-door bandwidth limits, but only to those on the grandfathered unlimited data plans. Of course, I'm grandfathered on the Verizon unlimited data plan, so I might be a little biased on that one.

But basically, though, this bill signed or not signed, the regulation put in place or not, it's the difference between opt-in and opt-out. Without the regulation you have to opt-out, and with the regulation you have to opt-in for your ISP to sell your data. So, with Trump signing the legislation, we're right back to where we were, having to opt-out of allowing our ISP to sell our data. The main thing to focus on here is that you CAN opt-out.

So you can be mad at Trump for this if you like, but the focus of your ire really belongs on Chairman Ajit Pai. He's perhaps not as sexy or an as emotionally satisfying a pinata as Trump, though, so I get that .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I do apologize for being keenly aware of some of the issues and their contextual backgrounds. I know how problematic facts and context can be at times, especially when they fail to soothe the soul.

But, for anyone with any intellectual curiosity, here's an excellent piece from that far right-wing rag, The Washington comPost, about how and why the FCC managed to get the Internet classified as a utility, and why it's going to end up being a disaster.

Why treating the Internet as a public utility is bad for consumers

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
This is basically what it had been all along. I think this has been more media driven as everyone was fine with it before. Just my take.

Reactions: aquitted and Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So what's so different about this Republican President? So far he's proposed a 10% increase on defense & now, given his first opportunity, he's dropping bombs in the sand. What happened to looking inward? Economy? Budget? Deficit? America FIRST? He wants to cut programs that he deems wasteful so he can spend $ on fighting. I'm tired of spending $ on actions like this. Nothing new here ...

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: VSprinter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
So what's so different about this Republican President?
He's neither liberal nor conservative, he's a pragmatist (one who deals with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical or ideological considerations).
So far he's proposed a 10% increase on defense & now, given his first opportunity, he's dropping bombs in the sand.
Not bombs. They were precision guided missiles, that targeted very specific locations, on one specific military base, to send a very specific message.
What happened to looking inward? Economy? Budget? Deficit? America FIRST?
Inward went out the window when he saw the pictures of those dead and dying babies.
He wants to cut programs that he deems wasteful so he can spend $ on fighting.
Incorrect. He wants to spend money to increase our military capability so that no one in their right (or even insane) minds would want to fight us, so that we don't have to fight.
I'm tired of spending $ on actions like this. Nothing new here ...
I get it. Why spend billions on trying to save people from being exterminated when we can spend it instead on supporting artists to take pictures of religious artifacts submerged in urine? Priorities!

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
He's neither liberal nor conservative, he's a pragmatist (one who deals with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical or ideological considerations).
Not bombs. They were precision guided missiles, that targeted very specific locations, on one specific military base, to send a very specific message.
Inward went out the window when he saw the pictures of those dead and dying babies.
Incorrect. He wants to spend money to increase our military capability so that no one in their right (or even insane) mins would want to fight us, so that we don't have to fight.
I get it. Why spend billions on trying to save people from being exterminated when we can spend it instead on supporting artists to take pictures of religious artifacts submerged in urine? Priorities!
Do you really think Assad is ever going to be dug out of his foxhole? I don't think he's going anywhere. Waste of time & money. And if he does, to what end? Is Egypt any better? Oh .. how about Libya? Are Syrian people any better off with Russian, Iran & now us dropping special, precision, shiny, new missiles .. ?

And as for the thinking that Trump is some kind of humanist ... give me a break. The photos moved him to action or his SUPER, HUGE EGO & happy trigger finger?

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: VSprinter

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Two ancillary benefits for Trump ....
1. This now quiets some of the Trump-Russia election rigging chatter.
2. No coincidence this occurred on the first night of Xi's visit. Wonder how discussions about North Korea & the South China Sea went after that hail storm.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Regarding my prediction that Trump will be impeached, that scenario requires the erosion of Trump's base. Evidence of that erosion is now developing.

"According to polls taken over the last few weeks, support for the President among white men is eroding. Since March, the percentage of white males who say they back the President has dropped from 58% to 47%, according to polling by Quinnipiac University.

"Similarly, an IBD/TIPP poll conducted in March and released earlier this week showed that the President's support among white men fell from 58% earlier in March to 49%. That poll also showed a decline in support among rural Americans from 56% earlier in March to 41%"
Source

Granted, these are polls and polls fluctuate. Look for additional polls to confirm this erosion in the future.

These polls were taken before the Syria missile strike and the Gorsuch nomination win. A different poll (Rasmussen) rates Trump's job approval numbers by the day. In general those poll numbers fluctuate 1-3 points per day. Trump's wins this week produced no sustained upward move in the Rasmussen poll. The downtrend that began on January 20 (Inauguration Day) continues.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
upload_2017-4-8_19-36-54.png

As a candidate, Trump pledged to label China a currency manipulator "on day one" of his administration. That didn’t happen, and months later, it’s not clear it will. Last Friday, Trump concluded two days of meetings with China's president Xi, saying, they made "tremendous progress." But no deals were announced or breakthroughs achieved.

The rust-belt workers who were decisive in Trump's electoral college victory are probably wondering why Trump has yet to deliver on his campaign promise.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I do apologize for being keenly aware of some of the issues and their contextual backgrounds.

While your keen awareness of certain issues and their contextual backgrounds may be substantial, the fact remains that before Trump signed the internet bill, internet service providers did not have the right to aggregate and sell my data trail without my consent. Now they do.

Trump is the president who took my privacy rights away and gifted my data trail to large corporations. Had he vetoed the bill, the FCC rules that provided a modicum of privacy would have remained in place. Of that, I am keenly aware. There was no public support for this bill, yet Trump and the Republicans were quick to push it through.

Last edited: