Owner/Operator
Judy tells me Canada has stopped buying Wisconsin milk
Trump is considering a tariff there as well.. I see a tit for tat thing here

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There ya Go! Let's piss off Canada. Our best friends and largest trading partner.

Making America Great again.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There ya Go! Let's piss off Canada. Our best friends and largest trading partner.

Considering over 60% of Canadian oil goes to the US New York State imports more than 50% of its electricity needs from Quebec

ATeam

Retired Expediter
One of those specific circumstances is payments for services rendered in the normal course of business. It's just one of the many things that allowed Jimmy Carter to continue selling peanuts to foreign countries while he was president, for example.

I must admit that Jimmy Carter's peanut business is not a subject I am familiar with. However, a quick Google search on the topic suggests that Carter placed his peanut farm in a true blind trust to avoid a conflict of interest.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The war is on again US attacking the Canadian softwood industry with a 20% tariff ...the US tried this in the 80' s and lost. Canada simply sold the overage to Asia it didn't hurt Canada at all just an inconvenience and American building industry died on the vine... cost of US housing rose.
Many things are different this time around with the global economy and the internet. Will be interesting to watch how this plays out.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One of those specific circumstances is payments for services rendered in the normal course of business. It's just one of the many things that allowed Jimmy Carter to continue selling peanuts to foreign countries while he was president, for example.

I must admit that Jimmy Carter's peanut business is not a subject I am familiar with. However, a quick Google search on the topic suggests that Carter placed his peanut farm in a true blind trust to avoid a conflict of interest.
Yes, it was a true blind trust, that he retained ownership of, and took back control upon exiting the White House.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

Lost in this conversation is the 270% tariff Canada places on imported milk, and the introduction last year of a high tariff on unfiltered milk (used to make cheese and other dairy products) imported from the US, a tariff which was increased again last week.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Lost in this conversation is the 270% tariff Canada places on imported milk, and the introduction last year of a high tariff on unfiltered milk (used to make cheese and other dairy products) imported from the US, a tariff which was increased again last week.
This works both ways the lumber industry and the dairy men are free to find other markets for their product if they don't like the tariffs
It's trumps language that I'm really upset about that Canada has treated the US unfairly on the soft wouldn't matter. More politically correct without offending people would be like we believe the tariff needs to be increased for the marketplace now

Just a snippet from an article
Grassland said it lost its Canadian business when Canada changed its dairy policies to favor domestic milk over a supply from the U.S.

Imagine that protectionism favoring Canada's dairy industry over the United States sound familiar Mr. Trump?

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Yes, it was a true blind trust, that he retained ownership of, and took back control upon exiting the White House.

That's how blind trusts work. A blind trust does not mean a president forfeits ownership. It means the business is placed temporarily out of a president's sight and control.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm aware. He left it in control of an independent trustee, who mismanaged the farm and warehouse, and when Carter took it back over he found he was a million dollars in debt. He noted at the time that in hindsight he wouldn't have put it in the blind trust, since president's are exempt from the federal conflict of interest rules.

Reactions: RoadTime

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is epic, on so any levels. Not the least of which is one reporter, a security editor at the Times, thought it was security-worthy enough to Tweet about it, and another reporter thinks is should be the story's lede, in the Food and Drink/Food Culture section of Esquire.

Trump Has a Button That He Presses So a Butler Delivers Him a Coke

I do have to ask, at least tacitly to myself, if the red button is for Coke, what color is the nuclear button?

Reactions: RoadTime

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
This is epic, on so any levels. Not the least of which is one reporter, a security editor at the Times, thought it was security-worthy enough to Tweet about it, and another reporter thinks is should be the story's lede, in the Food and Drink/Food Culture section of Esquire.

I do have to ask, at least tacitly to myself, if the red button is for Coke, what color is the nuclear button?
Thinking back thru recent history, at no time has there been so many news or wannabe news outlets and they trip over themselves to have something to say, whether true or imagined, that they grasp at straws and run to market with anything, without fact checking, to be first. Not to mention the proliferation of experts with books to sell. Almost as many as Expediters

Sent from my hand-held Etch-A- Sketch

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Blue?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
People are wising up to the boy who cries wolf.

Trump barks, but struggles to find his bite

His empty promises, flip flops and the ease with which he caves all build up. Each such incident undermines his credibility with various people. As the number of such people increases, so does the probability of impeachment.

That's not to say Trump has been totally ineffective. He has clearly had impacts in certain areas. It is to say that weight is growing on the impeachment side of the impeach/not-impeach teeter totter.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A little update from the Daily Caller about the interest or lack there of with Dems in reviewing documents regarding the unmasking request by Susan Rice. Looks like the 'news' reports relying on multiple sources who have seen the documents and said she didn't nothing wrong or unethical is about two, plus an unnamed republican source. Classified docs contradict Nunes surveillance claims, GOP and Dem sources say - CNNPolitics.com
Article excerpt below:
Connecticut Rep. Jim Himes is the only Democrat on the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence other than Rep. Adam Schiff, the panel’s ranking minority member, to review intelligence files showing former White House National Security Adviser Susan Rice “unmasked” aides to President Donald Trump during his transition to the Oval Office, The Daily Caller News Foundation’s Investigative Group has learned.

The apparent lack of interest among the remaining seven Democrats on the intelligence panel is in striking contrast to their earlier vocal demands that they see the documents after committee chairman Rep. Devin Nunes disclosed he had read them at the White House complex.

Read more: EXCLUSIVE: Only 2 House Dems Have Examined Those Susan Rice ‘Unmasking’ Docs

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

His empty promises, flip flops and the ease with which he caves all build up.
"But Trump's decision to swerve away from NAFTA withdrawal also signaled the extent to which Trump is running up against the realities of governing as he attempts to implement his bold campaign promises."

Or, it's chapter and verse of The Art of the Deal. People really should read that book

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

His empty promises, flip flops and the ease with which he caves all build up.
"But Trump's decision to swerve away from NAFTA withdrawal also signaled the extent to which Trump is running up against the realities of governing as he attempts to implement his bold campaign promises."

Or, it's chapter and verse of The Art of the Deal. People really should read that book
In order to understand how Trump "rolls" the "Never-Trumpers" need to understand that Trump is not a politician - he's a businessman. The United States is his new business and the legal citizens are his stockholders, whether they voted for him or not. His concept of "America First" has become foreign to many over the past 8 years, but as his method of doing business begins to show positive effects on our economy and our way of life the stockholders will reap the benefits. In spite of the liberal propaganda from the MSM, people will still vote with their pocketbooks. As their standard of living improves along with economic conditions, Trump's end of the political teeter-totter will be firmly on the ground.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

That's a fair point. I have read the book but it was so long ago that I remember little about it. Reading it again would not hurt. That said, I caution readers about putting too much stock in any book Trump has written (list). The Art of the Deal was published in 1987. In 2000, Trump published The America We Deserve in which he advocated single-payer health care.

If someone held a belief as true or followed a behavior pattern in the past, it does not mean that person believes or acts that way today. And even if Trump is following The Art of the Deal today, that may not be well advised. The Art of the Deal is a business book. Trump is a politician now and the game is different; substantially different. Items that apply in one setting may well not apply in another.

Trump's central premise in the campaign was that someone good in the board room could be good in the Oval Office. He's finding out different now. Trump is quoted in the news today saying, "This is more work than in my previous life. I thought it would be easier.”

The most complex real estate deal Trump has ever done is child's play compared to the deals that face the president every day. I often wonder if it is proper to characterize the president's job as making deals at all. A deal implies an agreement between a specific agreement made between a specific number of deal makers. It implies that the stakeholders actually want to arrive at an agreed-upon outcome. In business, a deal is concluded with a contract that clearly defines the terms and conditions that is signed by the deal-making parties.

In politics, there are the principle negotiators but the terms and conditions are continually in flux and the number of real stakeholders -- those with political power, whoever they may be at the time -- is continually in flux. It is common for political leaders to kick the can down the road instead of making a deal because that is either the less painful option (avoiding a difficult vote for which one may be held accountable) or more wise (avoiding a war).

Equating the political process with business deal making has many pitfalls because the analogy is flawed. The Oval Office is not a board room and Trump is beginning to understand the difference. He has pretty much used up the power of bluff and bluster because people simply don't fall for that any more.

Back to my impeachment scenario, Trump himself may render it moot. It is becoming more and more evident that Trump is not having fun in his new role. Narcissist Trump has always put Trump first. No longer enjoying himself and no longer winning like he used to win, he may one day simply resign. As the investigations continue and the lawsuits work their way up the line, this is a possibility that should be kept in mind. Republicans who want to get rid of Trump may not have to impeach him. They might instead construct a face-saving departure in which Trump is proclaimed the winner as he walks triumphantly out the door.

Last edited: