The Trump Card...

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Trump said today we will have the information of what he was talking about in two weeks. I think there is something here. I think it will all be cloaked in the pursuit of Russians. lol Or, so they will say.

Agreed.
Issue is, how do we rectify this?

“I will tell you this, Russia: If you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” the Republican nominee said at a news conference in Florida. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

Along with all the other ambiguous comments he made about Russia during the campaign. I'm not saying what he said was necessarily wrong but in a strange way it appeared like he was courting Russia. If he was or not doesn't matter. Perception is reality.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Just give the American public the same insurance that the Congress folks have and all will be well.....see, that didn't hurt.......................

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just an FYI... The legal definition of "wiretapping" is the legal interception of monitoring of telephone and Internet conversations by a third party.

The left (and the Press) want to keep this to the 1930s so as to constrain Trump's comments to only mean that of Obama ordering the physically attaching of a listening device to a physical telephone landline wire so they can claim "Gotcha! You lied!"

Children. Every one of then.

CNN's Jim Acosta today in WH briefing to Sean Spicer: (paraphrase) "First you say wiretapping and now you're saying something else."
Some in the Press are just playing dumb,IMO.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
McDonald's is headquartered in Oak Brook, IL, a western suburb of Chicago. I don't buy the "hacked Twitter" story for a second. If anything, the account was hacked by the goober in the cubicle next to the Twitter Meister.
0e9af02c155d4783438e93b9a3e2b1cc.jpg

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Senator John McCain on Rand Paul not voting in favor of Montenegro joining the NATO alliance:
"The senator from Kentucky is now working for Vladimir Putin."

Rand Paul on John McCain: "I think he makes a really, really strong case, you know, for term limits. I think maybe he's past his prime, I think maybe he's gotten a little bit unhinged." Boom

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Hawaii judge who blocked Trump's new travel ban, Judge Derrick Watson, a native of Hawaii, graduated from Harvard in the same class as Barack Obama, a native of Hawaii (and Neil Gorsuch, not a native of Hawaii).

Two days before Judge Derrick Watson ordered a stay on the travel ban, Barack Obama made an unannounced visit to his home state and two straight nights before the judge's ruling had dinner within walking distance of the courthouse. There is no evidence that Obama and Watson met on either night or even spoke on the phone, but if they did, I'm sure it was a chance meeting where they talked about grandkids and stuff.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The judge in Washington State? James Robart? He's up for replacement.

Federal judges (District, Circuit, Supreme Court) are appointed for life. But there is something called the Rule of 80, which is any combination of age 65 plus years of service as an Article III (federally appointed) judge that equal 80. So, 65 years old, 15 years of service, or 70 years old and 10 years of service, etc. Once the Rule of 80 is attained, the judge can retire at full salary, or take "Senior Status" which is essentially continuing to work if they like, with a reduced workload (usually). It's like a form of semi-retirement. When a judge takes Senior Status, they do not occupy a judicial seat, and the seat is vacant, thus the President can appoint a replacement (with the advice and consent of the Senate, of course).

Obama kinda went nuts stacking the federal courts with liberal, activist judges. The Democratic-controlled Senate aided him by changing the Senate rules for confirmations to a simple majority (Harry Reid's Nuclear Option) instead of the normal 60 affirmative votes (a tact that is now coming back to haunt them). They left the rule for 60 votes in place for Supreme Court justices, tho. But it made it very easy for Obama to put in place those District and Circuit judges who legislate from the bench, many of whom who have been in the news in recent years for various rulings from same sex marriage to Muslim travel bans. Obama also installed many judges using Recess Appointments, which really ticked off a lot of Republicans. In all, Obama installed 51 federal judges.

It ticked off Republicans so much that in addition to Garland, they simply stopped confirming any federal judge nominated by Obama during the last two years. Obama put up 54 nominees in his last two years in office, of which zero got a full vote. To the Left, that's categorized as a judicial coup by the Republicans (Obama had up for nomination, for example, an Asian-Pacific American for the Texas courts, the first African American female judge for the 3rd Circuit, a Muslim American for the 9th Circuit. It was activist identity politics all around).

This leaves Trump with 114 vacancies on the Federal Bench, plus all of the Senior Status seats that are currently and soon-to-be vacant (14 judges have announced their intention to take Senior Status this year). That's about 12 percent of all of the federal judiciary. And according to Ballotpedia, 54 percent of all current federal judges will become eligible to take senior status at some point in the next four years. Most of those were appointed by Republican presidents, so Trump replacing them won't dramatically alter the ideology or the Courts. There will be 17 vacancies in the District Courts, including 4 in the 9th Circuit (I think 3 of those are Democrats, and 1 is a Republican). But if Trump replaces the 4 vacancies in the 9th Circuit with conservative judges, that will alter the composition of 18 Democratic nominees and 7 Republican nominees to that of 15 Democratic nominees and 10 Republican nominees.

Trump will indeed have the opportunity to have a major impact on the national judiciary by appointing judges who are more concerned with the Constitution and legal precedent than they are in interpreting existing law based on "feels." But of all of the nominations he makes, other than Neil Gorsuch for the Supreme Court, the one that will likely give him the most satisfaction is the one that replaces Judge James Robart in Washington State.

Incidentally, most nominees are given to the President by various non-partisan committees in Congress, and in the case of Washington State, they have their own little nominating committee within that state that offers nominees that are mostly a who's who of local favorites, liberal activists all. And the past 3 presidents pretty much have taken what they are given and just nominate from the list. Trump is already bucking that tradition by speaking with Republican members of the Senate and the House to get recommendations directly on judges. So it will be fun watching Democrats whine about that, too.

Reactions: davekc

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
just think of Dr's wages, Nurses, the WHOLE system....OVER paid board of directors on hospitals....and the the upkeep on the whole system.....MAYBE just maybe....this country has outgrown even the old system and just can not operate at the rates you once paid....something had to give and or collapse.....socialized medicine might the the only road to travel down for everyone to be covered equally and fairly....
Equal and fair sounds al sugar and spice but no where does it say we are entitled to that. Not saying it would be a bad thing but people need to get over the idea they are entitled to it.
Agreed...this isn't the country for that...right?....so let the insurance companies run rough shod over the people....because healthcare is not a right and government should just stay out of it...and if you can't afford the game well tough luck....nearly every hospital has a subsidy program I've noticed for those with little coverage...maybe we should go that route?.....I've been 3 different hospitals and all have had some kind of reduction program and pay system...

Believe you could call that a subsidy, If you think you and I are not supporting a subsidy program, well......................give me some of that koolaid

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's important to keep in mind that the FBI, DOJ and the NSA would never, ever lie to Congress or the American people. <snort>

Do you think that if anyone in the above listed agencies, or any other agency, engaged in an illegal wiretap, like one or more rogue agents, or even people doing so under the authority of a wink and a nod from anyone in the Obama administration, or even from the Hillary campaign, that they would admit to it?

The FBI can get warrants to tap the conversations of Trump, or anyone in the campaign, under the guise of an investigation (actual or imagined), but Trump or the campaign officials aren't the target. <wink, wink>

The NSA can do the same with foreign nationals that Trump or the campaign talks to, and get a FISA warrant, even though Trump or the campaign isn't the actual target. <wink, wink>

Results of the intercepted conversations? Surveillance on the Trump campaign.

Comey kept repeating very precise wording, "We do not have any evidence to support the President's Tweets."

Well, the Tweets alleged that Obama ordered the wiretapping of Trump's campaign. And that's almost certainly technically not true. But it's also almost certainly true that, one way or another, people in the campaign were wiretapped, incidentally or otherwise, in order to find out what they were doing in the campaign and the transition.

The question that's never been asked of Comey or anyone else is, "Was any one in Trump tower surveilled, either directly or indirectly, where conversations were intercepted directly or incidentally?"

Nunes did ask Comey behind the scenes to supply the committee with every intelligence report (I think since July) where a US citizen's name was unmasked. Those reports would show if any name was illegally unmasked, but more importantly, they would show if Trump Tower or the campaign was being wiretapped in one way or the other. Comey testified that they hadn't yet completed compiling those reports, and that they hadn't yet found any reports where names were wrongly unmasked. And in response to that testimony, someone in the intelligence community handed Nunes a stack of reports that said Comey was full of crap.

The fact that in the last days of his presidency Obama radically altered the rules for dissemination of raw data between intelligence agencies certainly gives on pause. He didn't do it on a whim, he did it in response to something. That's a question that needs to be asked.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I do think Nunes was a total retard in going to the President and the press with this before he slapped it down on the table in an Intelligence Committee meeting. He handed Schiff a gift wrapped box of ammunition to demand an independent commission, which will take 9 months to form and get security clearances, and years to complete an investigation, which will mean Trump will be under investigation for the entire term of his presidency. The only other option will (likely) be for Trump to just declassify the reports and release them to the press.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
According to Nunes, the surveillance didn't involve anything to do with Russia, so this information would be independent of the ongoing 'Russian investigation'. Therefore no need for an independent commission, IMO.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
He said they appear to have been done legally, but were not done as part of any investigation with Russian interference. OK, so what legal reason was there to wiretap anyone at Trump Tower?

As for being independent of the Russian investigation, there is also an investigation of the wiretaps, in particular with regard to the campaign and transition, for political purposes, as Trump alleges.

One thing that bothers me is Comey's use of very narrow and very precise language. He did it with Clinton, and now with Trump. It's the same language that all intelligence professionals use, and it's intended specifically not to reveal anything they don't want to reveal, it's intended expressly to mislead and obfuscate. Clapper repeatedly did it his testimonies, until he as asked the right pointed questions where he couldn't.

Comey said that he had found no evidence, no information pointing to a wiretap of Donald Trump or of Trump Tower. That's very specific, and narrow (Trump or Trump Tower being the specific target on a warrant). He also said he had no evidence to support Trump's Tweets, which are very specific and narrow (that Obama ordered the wiretapping). For all we know, AG Lynch ordered the wiretapping, and Lunch ordered the tapping of anyone Trump's campaign talks to. Such a scenario would makes Comey's statements 100% true and accurate.

It's getting into the "all thumbs are fingers but not all fingers are thumbs" territory.

"Mister Comey, do you currently have a finger up your butt?"
"No Senator, I do not," as Comey sits there with his thumb up his butt.

It's the same gotcha question and answer regarding Jeff Sessions when in the context of questioning about activities as a Trump surrogate, Sessions saying that he never met with the Russian ambassador [as a Trump surrogate], yet he did, in fact, meet with the ambassador [as a non-surrogate], and the question itself, despite the overall context, didn't explicitly exclude non-surrogate meetings.

Reactions: jcochristoph

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The House Intelligence Committee is investigating this: 'The members signed off on a plan to examine contacts between President Donald Trump's campaign and Russia and also investigate who leaked key details about Russia's actions'. House intel committee agrees to scope of Trump-Russia probe - CNNPolitics.com
The FBI is investigating possible Russia interference /collusion with Trump in U.S. election.
Nunes' info he provided today apparently falls outside of the scope of the HIC investigation.
But I see the Dems(and rogue never Trumper John McCain:rolleyes:) are pushing for a independent commission to look at this whole Russian and Trump thing to cast a dark crowd over his presidency for the next 4 years.
To answer your first question though in your previous post...I dunno. But my b.s. indicator says that the previous Administration was snooping around for political purposes. :DSupposedly there will be more info provided from Nunes Friday. Maybe shed some more light.

Reactions: jcochristoph