The Story Thus Far

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
It was a fair Friday afternoon in San Marcos, TX and Holly had gone to DPS early in the morning to schedule her CDL skills test, she got the 2PM slot, not an enviable position to be in on a Friday afteroon at 2PM as the exodus from Texas State University starts around 1:30PM and lasts until about 3:30PM. But that's not the point of this story.

The point of this story is that apparently we're missing "proof of registration," which is a receipt that shows that the taxes have been paid for this vehicle, which is at least what I gleaned from the testers description of said document. Needless to say, Holly was unable to pass her test because she was unable to test.

We do have the apportioned cab card, but apparently that was not the document this particular tester was looking for. So my question is, if the apportioned cab card is not the proof of registration, then what is. The truck owner told me to give the carrier a call and ask them to fax a copy of the proof of registration.

I've looked through every available document that I could find in the truck, including last years cab card which showed an LP number and the amount paid for registration, this was with a different carrier and expired 5 days after the last day of December 2006.

So, if there are any whizzes here with Texas laws and customs concerning commercial vehicles, and the difference between proof of registration and an apportioned cab card, I'd gladly hear from you. I think I know what they're looking for and I obviously don't have it, and am hoping the carrier does have a copy of it, but any help would be much appreciated, and if I ever meet you down the road, I will buy you a beverage of your choice.

Thanks in advance and hindsight,
-Zak

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Zak: Why didn't you simply ask that Texan zactly what they wanted or, what would suffice??? Problem solved, and, you wouldn't get any guesses on this site>

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
Because by the time I could get a word in edgewise, she had already left us standing there with a "Courtesy Warning."

I'm pretty sure I know which document it is, I was just seeking a little consult.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I asked a Texas trucker tonight and he said the apportioned paper work is what is needed seeing that this shows that the taxes are paid but that is his opinion, not mine.

Mine is Michigan and the few states that I had my paper work checked said the little paper that says what states I paid for is good enough for proving my registration.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
When I took my CDL test with the university bus system all we had to show was the cab card, I don't know what it is that this woman was looking for. Like I said, this is one of those people that knows the book inside and out and follows it to the letter. I guess I'll get on the horn with DPS in Austin on Monday and with Panther and see if I can figure out what exactly it is that she wants.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
It was a fair Friday afternoon in San Marcos, TX and Holly had gone to DPS early in the morning to schedule her CDL skills test, she got the 2PM slot, not an enviable position to be in on a Friday afteroon at 2PM as the exodus from Texas State University starts around 1:30PM and lasts until about 3:30PM. But that's not the point of this story.

Oh but it is the point of the story, last slot for her on Friday afternoon, tester got an early start to the weekend. x(

bruchar

Expert Expediter
Zak, In Missouri, they request that we submit a copy of paid personal property tax receipt and HUT tax receipt (Highway Use Tax for vehicles over 52,000#) showing all commercial vehicles listed each year when we register our truck. Not sure if this is what they mean but I hope it helps.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When you buy a truck in Texas, or elsewhere and bring to Texas to tag, you get multiple documentation. First I have to go to the courthouse on North Shepherd to register it for titling purposes. Since it's commercial and apportioned there are no taxes per se but there is still the registration fee. That gets me a receipt showing it's been registered and then I can go over on 290 for the cab card. With said receipt and proof of insurance they will issue the apportioned plate for whatever states and provinces I request. Without said receipt you can stay there till the cows come home and get nothing. Having a Texas apportioned plate and cab card means everything else has been done since they won't issue it otherwise but it isn't the receipt from the courthouse or the actual title that eventually comes in from Austin. I suspect she was talking about that courthouse title/registration receipt and didn't want to acknowledge the cab card so she could start her weekend early as already mentioned. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
Well, with some prodding from myself, and the owners of the truck, the DPS office in San Marcos has been made to understand that for an apportioned Texas plate, the cab card is the proof of registration sufficient for testing, since it is sufficient for everything else that I'd have to talk to DPS or DOT people about.

So, it looks like she was looking for a long weekend. This week just hasn't been my week for service.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
Well, after discovering that the Texas vehicle inspection was expired on Wednesday, when we tried to test; however, this morning we were first in line to test, and she took the test and passed, and with a better score than I did. But then we ran into another snafu, Panther wants Holly to take another drug screen since it's been 30 days since orientation and she hadn't gotten her license or something.

Needless to say, the owners are rather incensed about the tester not taking the cab card, than the inspection being out of date (has an agent that is supposed to take care of registration and inspection for his vehicles), and also the fact that repairs to the HVAC systems in the sleeper and cab, kept us down for a week, which was planned, the extra week; however, was not. So, hopefully, we'll get this stuff behind and will be able to start up again shortly.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
Well, after some fairly invasive dental work performed by us and the truck owners on various people in various authoritative positions we will become available again tomorrow evening, after a 1.5 week respite turned into a 2 week ordeal due to delayed repairs and administrative things with the truck and carrier. Texas DPS tester apologized for her mistake on the first day we tried to get Holly tested, as she said she was used to seeing cab cards (registration) printed on something other than the plain white paper we had, and then the next time we tried to test, the Texas state vehicle inspection had been expired, for quite sometime, so we had to run up the highway and get that done. Additionally, since Holly has been "away from the company" for 30+ days they requested that she take another drug screed; although, it seems as though the drug screen was just for show, and I can totally vouch for Holly's sobreity, at least for illicit substances as we did visit our favorite San Marcos haunt, the Tap Room, a couple of times, which always involves the partaking of some good beer(s) while we were home, as well as our favorite burrito joint, Zookas.

During this time, I've done a lot more research, specifically into looking at another carrier we would like to drive for sometime the medium-term future, as well as preparing some business related things (ie My Spreadsheet) as well as some tools to help me calculate a revenue/cost per mile for our business, such that it is. I have gotten a taste of things as they were and have developed at least elementary knowledge of the world of expediting. And of course I've kept reading business-side threads on here, and will be taking some advice, like a micro-cassette/digital recorder for state line times and mileages, and an even more detailed run journal.

Well, we're excited about getting back on the road, hope we cross paths sometime, stay safe and sane out there...well, at the very least, safe.
:)

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not totally certain, but I think a drug test after 30 days OOS is a DOT requirement, not your carrier's.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
Well, either way, it is done, and they sent us our paperwork with the results in absentia. Just looking forward to getting out there again.