The question that I was asked just now

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"Do you need a Class A CDL to tow a truck?"

As cryptic as this may sound, the person was asking if I knew if a class A cdl was needed to tow a tractor behind another tractor or behind a tow truck.

Anyone know the answer?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

I reckon the answer is: it depends on weight rating

bamamule

Seasoned Expediter
i think it's more to how far and just towing back to yard has somthing to do with the class not 100% sure

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Terry is correct. A friend of mine worked for a local tow company for a while, and the B was fine if he was using the small truck just towing cars.

To use the big wrecker for trucks, he had to have a class A. The interesting thing was, when you went with the wrecker to get the class A, you had to be towing something!

Dreamer
Forums Administrator

--------------

"The present is what slips by us while we're pondering the past and worrying about the future."

- Ziggy

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Letz:

The controlling factor is weight. A rollback with a GVWR under 26,001 should only need a class B CDL. Crossing into a particular State with tough laws might be a factor but not for all States. What I quoted above is a Federal Regulation that is the minimum for all States. Some States may enact tougher regulations but they can not conflict with Federal laws.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>You also need a class A if you are carrying a vehicle on a
>rollback across state lines.
Please quote the regulation referring to this .

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
It is a Combinatin Vehicle weight does not matter or am I incorrect here? A combo requires a class A when it has a commercial tag towing the commercial vehicle.

A personal vehicle being towed does not require a Class A, cause... Not Commercial and thus the view of the law is how heavy it is even thought the law does not state it for personal vehicles.

In otherwords pull a tow truck large enough to pull a Commercial Vehicle, one better have a Class A or I would not want to see that fine book open up even in Missouri or especially in Missouri.

Or is this just my rambling on about COMMON SENSE?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK guys I got an answer from my MSP friend (took her long enough).

Any combination weight beyond 26,001lbs provided the gvw of the towed vehicle is >10k requires a class A

Example is if I tow a tractor behind my truck, I will need a class A.

Any combination weight beyond 26,001lbs provided the gvw of the towed vehicle is <10k requires a class B

Example is if I tow a 1969 charger behind my truck, I will need a class B.

Source; fhwa 383.91

As for rollaways, where did you get that from Terry? I can't find it anywhere.

Oh thanks for the answers, I appreicate them.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Letz introduced the rollback term. I said it's the total weight, as indicated in my first comment which coincides with the info of your MSP contact. Of course, I was refering to commercial vehicles. You could tow a helocopter and a rollback behind an RV and so long as weight is legal you wouldn't need a commercial license if none were commercially registered and not used commercially.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
All R.V.s are excluded even in Triples as we all see. And as usual, darn I cannot ever find Terry wrong at anything, when one is good one is really good.

Ever noticed what I am refering to, White hair,(not Terry) slow moving this would exclude Terry slow moving, but if they get around ya (RVs) there not gona give any space when they Merge into the slow lane almost taking off your fender and hood. Watch out for these super rich wana be truck drivers I have seen this over and over again they cannot get far enough ahead of a truck to ease over. As soon as they think they are clear and usually not they are a comming into your lane even if you are already there minus a hood.

Terry, you can always be counted on as good, just not great, and one without an EGO, even though one deserves it.