....the next iPhone

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I saw that today too, Lawrence. I have to wonder if it was "left behind" on purpose. Also wondering if it has anything to do with the rumors that Verizon will be getting the iphone sometime later this year.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Friends in high places, indeed. Apple will probably be unsuccessful with this one, just like they have been in previous cases where their secrets were leaked, but there might be a self-inflicted hitch from Gawker...

Here is the warrant, seized inventory, and the letter from Gawker to the police citing the law that protects journalists:
Police Seize Jason Chen's Computers - Gizmodo

The hitch? A year ago, as was reported in a Howard Kurtz New York Times piece on Nick Denton and Gawker, Denton's own sense of humor may get the best of him, when he stated:

"We don't seek to do good," says Denton, wearing a purplish shirt, jeans and a beard that resembles a three-day growth. "We may inadvertently do good. We may inadvertently commit journalism. That is not the institutional intention."

With that statement, he may very well have removed himself, Gawker and Gizmodo from any journalistic protections.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
"We may inadvertently do good. We may inadvertently commit journalism. That is not the institutional intention."

With that statement, he may very well have removed himself, Gawker and Gizmodo from any journalistic protections.

Yea but... does this also mean that because the WH said Fox news wasn't a news organization, they also don't have those same protections as CNN and CBS has?

I thought this was settled sometime ago when the FTC and the FEC determined that blogs and bloggers were in fact journalist and there may have been a court case over this issue too.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
April 26, 2010, 6:12 pm

Computers Seized at Home of Gizmodo Reporter Who Wrote About iPhone, Gawker Media Says

By BRIAN STELTER AND NICK BILTON

The letter was shared on Monday afternoon by Nick Denton, the founder and president of Gawker Media. “Are bloggers journalists? I guess we’ll find out,” Mr. Denton said in an instant message.

Computers Seized at Home of Gizmodo Reporter Who Wrote About iPhone, Gawker Media Says - Media Decoder Blog - NYTimes.com

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Didn't Drudge go through something like this?

I know that the FEC has ruled that I as a blogger enjoy the same protections as a journalist during elections - meaning the exemption of McCain-Feingold applies to me too.

I threw it out because I have journalist credentials for some of the work I have done, press pass and all that crap and it is under a blog's name, not a news outlet's name. Amazing what you apply for and get after being a hack writer.

The only thing that doesn't cover journalist or protect them may be the fact that intellectual property rights and corporate espoinage laws do apply to jounralist in some cases. Because there isn't a danger to the public nor a possibility of illegal activities, they may be screwed.