The New Droid Phone

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
"Huh ?

Is that how the computation works - if Steve likes it, then it's ok and we need to adopt it ? ..... or if he doesn't, then we should even consider it ?

I guess I missed the memo ....."

Yes, exactly, you missed the memo. If you were a fanboy then you'd have gotten it.

The whole fanboy thing is, or is supposed to be, a humorous take on a subset of Macheads. Certainly not everyone who has an Apple product is a fanboy, but some certainly are. I know too many of them. Believe it or don't, some people thing Steve Jobs can walk on water, and were shattered when he fell ill recently. They are worried about the future of Apple once he is no longer at the helm. And they may be right. There are absolutely those who feel that if it's not an Apple product then they won't even consider it.

The iPhone, like the Mac, does what it does right out of the box, and it does it very well, no manual required. For those who need a reliable tool to git r dun, an Apple product (the Quadra and the LC notwithstanding) generally fits the bill. For those who like to tinker and play around with hardware and software, an Apple product has traditionally been a bad fit.

But I still maintain that there are too many people that are too loyal to all things Apple for there to be an iPhone killer any time soon. The fact that so many people will put up with AT&T's lousy 3G coverage in order to use an iPhone speaks volumes. When the iPhone came out, people moved to AT&T in droves, and it wasn't because of AT&T's superior 3G network. Quite possibly, the perfect phone would be an iPhone on Verizon's 3G network. You'd have an easy to use no-brainer phone that gives you broadband nearly everywhere.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The term "fanboy" isn't necessarily derisive or pejorative, but at times it's pretty dаmned funny. :D

12938_1254338752793_1059283927_7781.jpg

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Probably worth mentioning. On the Iphone you can't tether unless you use a app. There is software already for it, but not on US phones. Suppose to be coming soon.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
The term "fanboy" isn't necessarily derisive or pejorative, but at times it's pretty dаmned funny. :D
Yup, it's all in how it's used ...... anyways couldn't be too much of a fanboy ..... to scrap a perfectly good computer like that and make it into a mailbox ..... but then no tellin' what them crazy artistes will do :D

BTW ...... that unit looks identical to what my wife is currently using :eek: - Dual G4 450 "Graphite", circa July 2000

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
For those who like to tinker and play around with hardware and software, an Apple product has traditionally been a bad fit.
Yup ... traditionally, that was true ... although I don't think it's the case so much any more - since OS X there's all kinds of 3rd party hacks that can be done software-wise ..... and hardware-wise, well what could be cooler than installing your iPod shuffle inside a Nintendo controller ?

Amazing Mac Mods

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Tethering with an iPhone will be just flat out kewl, 'cause you can use the phone for the aircard, and at the same time use the iPhone as an app phone like always, in addition to talking on the phone. Granted, bandwidth would be a little tight trying to do all that, but it can be done. People are excited about the prospect of tethering the Droid at Verizon, but once they find out it's an either/or proposition, they're going to be less than thrilled.

My old phone, the Razr v9m, I could have tethered that and used it as my aircard, but I never did it because I knew (1) that I didn't have a data plan and I didn't want to pay $1.99 per MB, and (2) there are simply too many times I need to talk while I'm on the computer.

Three or four times now with the Droid I've been on the phone and I'll grab it and start to do something with an app that uses 3G, whoops, can't do that. You can do that with the iPhone, tho. That's very appealing. If I didn't travel like I did and I had good 3G coverage at home and/or work from AT&T, the iPhone would be a slam dunk.

Even if there was an iPhone for Verizon, the same CDMA limitations would apply, but for those who enjoy the spectator sport of watching Verizon and AT&T go at it, like with the most recent "rebuttal" from AT&T about the Maps ad campaign where they show how they cover nearly 300 million people, while neglecting to mention that it's their cell coverage and not their 3G coverage, one has to wonder which will happen first... Will Motorola come out with a Droid for AT&T, or will Apple release a CDMA iPhone for Verizon? :D I'm betting it's the latter.

RLENT, after seeing that mailbox, once I stopped laughing, I began to wonder if that might be the only salvageable parts left of a computer tagged as HAZMAT by AppleCare.

As for mods, here's another example of a fanboy's efforts. Expensive, but pretty kewl, really.
Three-iPhone Ocarina Much More Expensive Than a No-iPhone Ocarina

Like one person said, it's just a matter of time before we seen an all-iPhone orchestra. Stairway to Heaven on iPhone Ocarina. What a hoot.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
I had a Blackberry Storm, and absolutely hated the thing. Was with Verizon for years, but when I started working out of my home office I could not get a signal worth a dang. I got my iphone about six weeks ago and I think it's almost as good as sliced bread.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I have coverage with sprint and alltel,oops verizon.verizon customers probably have much better coverage than us that got put into verizon.My dropped calls now are terrible,my service sucks and as soon as this contract is up,I'm thru with verizon
I have no complaints with the Sprint,in fact just renewed contract for 2 more years,and have the new Palm Pre.
it's the best phone Ive ever had,can work on line almost as well as my PC at home,it does work as well as my laptop
Going back to Verizon,they did tell me most of my problem would end as soon as I switched to the verizon phone
Verizon doesnt off the plan I have,for the same money I pay,their plan starts at 2100 hrs,and only 5 on the circle
My plan starts at 1900 hrs and I have 11 on my circle
For you Sprint guys reading this,go check out the Palm Pre,its amazing