The Hino 338

Deville

Not a Member
A bad sign for Hino owners ?

I was just looking around in the "trucks for sale" area, and noticed
a not so good indicator. There's a used truck dealer called Ellenbaum out of Michigan. For the most part, I always thought these folks dealt in pretty junked out trucks [with a few exceptions]
If you look at their listings of available trucks, you'll see that Hino's
dominate the top of the list. Very disproportional when compared to all other manufacturers. I believe that "list" is a strong indicator of how bad Hino's position is in the trucking industry.

I bought my truck from Elleumbaum too....I haved a mixed review. They were ok to deal with. They did not warrenty the truck & refused to do so because it had over 300k on it, I had it for about 2 1/2 months & I dropped a vavle & had to have the top of the motor re-built. So I guess the old caveant buyer beware comes into play when dealing with Ellenbaum & any other used truck dealer. Live & learn.

rooster21

Seasoned Expediter
We are in the shop for the 2nd time for the same problem, last repair August 2010....dpr filter not responding.

Seems to be the problem with most 2008 trucks, stupid dpr issues...what do you suggest?:confused:

What's the problem?

Your best bet, hire a vet! Please.

rooster21

Seasoned Expediter
We are going to sell our fleet and buy a real truck to run ourselves, alone.

Drivers usually love us but have nutty ones that think you should drive the truck, and still pay them...lol

However, with the fuel cost and how these trucks stink regarding the cost to maintain...I had enough!

What do you recommend as a good truck, fuel and less breakdowns??? :confused:

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
We are in the shop for the 2nd time for the same problem, last repair August 2010....dpr filter not responding.

Seems to be the problem with most 2008 trucks, stupid dpr issues...what do you suggest?:confused:

I have an 08 with 190k on her. Never had a DPR issue. Can't help, except I can give you a phone # of the dealer I use that is real good with Hino's. By the way, have all the recall notices been done?

rooster21

Seasoned Expediter
I have an 08 with 190k on her. Never had a DPR issue. Can't help, except I can give you a phone # of the dealer I use that is real good with Hino's. By the way, have all the recall notices been done?

Our truck is out of warranty but the work was done during that time.

Now they are saying the ECM is not communicating to the DPR to do its job???

When we had the truck tuned down at the Sterling Heights Michigan Mac dealer, they had a difficult time doing so but got it done. Now we are stuck at Fontana California at a dealer, sittting in the lobby camping waiting all morning and for the past three days trouble shooting the issue....still waiting and it is 5:54 eastern time.

HELP...I am loosing my mind!

Deville

Not a Member
Just doesn't look like Hino can get it right. First they had the cooling issues in the pre 09' models now they have DPR issues, the Auto trans is geared too high & they ride terrible. I'm glad I passed on one last year.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Our truck is out of warranty but the work was done during that time.

Now they are saying the ECM is not communicating to the DPR to do its job???

When we had the truck tuned down at the Sterling Heights Michigan Mac dealer, they had a difficult time doing so but got it done. Now we are stuck at Fontana California at a dealer, sittting in the lobby camping waiting all morning and for the past three days trouble shooting the issue....still waiting and it is 5:54 eastern time.

HELP...I am loosing my mind!

Call 248-410-4453 ask for Steve. He is the nationwide service rep. He has a lot of latitude when it comes to customer service. Have your vin # when you call.

Deville

Not a Member
Rooster, I tried to respond to your PM but you have a block set up so it would not go though. I will answer your question on the forum...........

rooster21 said:
Have a question?

You stated you passed on one, it sounds like we made the mistake and buying that one...really!

We have a 2007 Automatic that is geared to high, but we are thinking about changing the gear ratio? Do you think that will help the fuel milage?

Please help us...

It might...the prolbem is that the auto trans just isn't geared right. the one I looked at was a 6 spd manual trans. That set up works much better. I don't know of anyone who has tried to swap rears on a hino & if it's even possible. I'm pretty sure all hinos came with one rear setup. It's almost like the auto trans was an after thought.

Who knows how the rears might vary as far as bolt up patterns go if you want to use a Frightliner or Int'l rear.

As far as the Hino I looked at, it was exactky what I was looking for in a truck. 20ft box, liftgate, air ride, power windows, man. trans & under 26,000 GWR. it was a 05' & with 197,000 miles on it & they were asking $15,500. It was too good to be true.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Rooster, I tried to respond to your PM but you have a block set up so it would not go though. I will answer your question on the forum...........

It might...the prolbem is that the auto trans just isn't geared right. the one I looked at was a 6 spd manual trans. That set up works much better. I don't know of anyone who has tried to swap rears on a hino & if it's even possible. I'm pretty sure all hinos came with one rear setup. It's almost like the auto trans was an after thought.

Who knows how the rears might vary as far as bolt up patterns go if you want to use a Frightliner or Int'l rear.

As far as the Hino I looked at, it was exactky what I was looking for in a truck. 20ft box, liftgate, air ride, power windows, man. trans & under 26,000 GWR. it was a 05' & with 197,000 miles on it & they were asking $15,500. It was too good to be true.

The 338 has 5 possible gear ratios on the rear end for the Allison 3000. I think, with out looking, the 5:29 is the recommended. Also out of the factory, the 6th gear is locked out. You can have your local dealer unlock it.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
We are going to sell our fleet and buy a real truck to run ourselves, alone.

Drivers usually love us but have nutty ones that think you should drive the truck, and still pay them...lol

However, with the fuel cost and how these trucks stink regarding the cost to maintain...I had enough!

What do you recommend as a good truck, fuel and less breakdowns??? :confused:

Now that, is prolly the most profound thing you have typed about. A combination of [mostly] bad drivers and bad truks has to be madening. I had excellent truks and drivers and that wuz enough for me. Still will recommend a Pete 330 with a 8.3 cumalong. Or, if you wanna go first class and be able to haul something check out the Argosys on truk paper.

rooster21

Seasoned Expediter
Now that, is prolly the most profound thing you have typed about. A combination of [mostly] bad drivers and bad truks has to be madening. I had excellent truks and drivers and that wuz enough for me. Still will recommend a Pete 330 with a 8.3 cumalong. Or, if you wanna go first class and be able to haul something check out the Argosys on truk paper.

I guess, I over stepped my conversations...I should have separated the topics.

After talking to a very informative person "Goldournut" and reading his postings about the DPAR filters etc. It seems it was my mistake getting involved into something that I did not completely understand.

As for the drivers and being bad, YES, I had my share there are good ones out there but it is not in my forcast for now. I do try everything to assist a driver to better understand the perspectives of expediting...only when asked. I do not micro-managed...just want the truck's oil changed (we had a credit card available) and washed, empty the water from the fuel filter...little things you learn from taking on your CDL test. I try to listen to the negative comments and try to relieve him when needed, but I have to shut down the truck if the oil has not been changed or I did not receive the paperwork from speedco or where ever it was done...otherwise, the carrier will shut us down!

Also, I am driving the truck with the problems...my driver(s) get the truck of their choice and one has the new one the other choose the automatic giving him the 70% due to the gas mileage.

Again, I am sorry for not separating the topics and the more I learn about these issues about the trucks with their little niches the better it becomes...that is why we are here...to talk...to learn...I thought?

Last edited:

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
550K on my 2007 hino 338. Still runs great.

1. Turbos are made by cummins, not by hino - I burned up 2 in the first 180k, the present one has been there since. Mechanic told me it was probably driver error. I corrected what he said and no problems since.
A. Gradual acceleration, not mashing it from a dead stop
B. Leave the truck running for 5 minutes after you get off the highway
C. Don't snap on exhaust break at the top of a hill (My wife is guilty of that)
D. Run Synthetic oil

2. Lack of power complaints are solved with new Fuel Filter and air filter - I have no power complaints on my truck. Replace the air filter more frequently and get a davco fuel filter. Clogged air filters will also cause truck to run warmer.

3. Squeeky windshield? - seriously the windshield is held in with a rubber gasket not glue may just need to be reseated.

4. Shocks busting - They aren't made by hino either, buy another brand thats allowed you know. Make Sure their the right size, maybe your tires are overinflated for the weight on the axle. most likely you have 105 to 110 in tires that should have 95 this cause excess bouncing. I have busted 2 rear shocks on my truck, never the front, both times on I-5 in california loaded light.

5. Tire wear on the front end is a problem, donvel air ride solves this issue. So does buying all position tires and rotating them every 100k, this means you will get 300k out of a pair of tires.

My general experience is that most of the Hino complaints I read are either Driver error or BAD mechanics making things worse. It could be also that you just got a lemon, but I doubt it.

Rush in Fontana, is a descent dealership, Insist that "Little Gabriel" do the work.
Also Nally Truck Centers in Atlanta has always been good to me.

But in general, the mechanics don't care about your truck, so you have to watch them. Dale in Fontana is a straight shooter, but he's not Mr. Wizard. My opinion is he's the MOST honest service guy I have dealt with, but he's only as good as his mechanic lets him be so insist on "little Gabriel"

PS I would buy a whole fleet of Hinos if I thought I could find drivers who would take of them. But Reliable drivers are like reliable mechanics they don't exist anymore.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
This is an addendum - I wouldn't buy any truck with a Particulate Filter on it Hino or not. This is more government BS. Seriously, burning urine in a giant muffler is going to help the environment?

Pied Piper

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I have been driving team in our '07 Hino 338, and have almost 500k on her. She's been a good little truck. Good on fuel, we get 10mpg loaded, including what the APU burns, with the Allison 5 speed.

I was surprised at how fast the original tires started cupping, but we changed to the Yokohama all postion tires on the steers, rotate them side to side every 70k, we got 210k out of our last set of steers.

The front brakes were a little weak when we got the truck, and eventually started popping, turned out the front brake shoe ends needed never-seez on the pivots points, and the stopping power improved and the popping went away.

Most of our loads are under 3000# and two or three skids. I've got a friend who swears he needs a class 8 truck to haul that, he's a great guy, but he also thinks he needs a dually pick up to go get groceries when he's home. He's got a Sterling auto, and when he's honest, he'll admit he gets 8 to 8.5 mpg when he slows down. Class 8's are nice trucks, but we're not hauling 45,000# of potatoes over the Rockies. We're hauling small, light freight east of I35. We do go through WV, and even with the rare 7-8,000# load, we're not the slowest truck going up the hill, and over heating hasn't been a problem. I do take off the foam trim around the top of the radiator and pressure wash the radiator, cooler, and trans cooler twice a year, but overheating hasn't been a problem.

I've run synthetic in her since new, and she does drink a half gallon around 10k, but not a drop up to 9,000, and not a drop after 11,000 on up to 16,000 to 20,000 when I change the oil. I have no reason not to believe this truck will have 1 million miles on her before she needs a new engine. I've had 2 Freightliner Centurys, 1 M2, one FL70, one International 9400, and this Hino. We don't live in a perfect world, hair turns gray, trucks break down, but this Hino has been the most reliable truck I've owned, and is more than capable of expediting freight.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Also on steer tire wear, change your front wheels bearings every 100k, they wear out, and cause alignment problems. Popping brakes may also be caused by worn wheel bearings. Bearings hold wheels in place when they're worn, the brae pressre cause the whole hub to move, which causes the POP. Anyway it all come from experience as mechanics either don't anything or won't tell you if they do.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using EO Forums

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
Also on steer tire wear, change your front wheels bearings every 100k, they wear out, and cause alignment problems. Popping brakes may also be caused by worn wheel bearings. Bearings hold wheels in place when they're worn, the brae pressre cause the whole hub to move, which causes the POP. Anyway it all come from experience as mechanics either don't anything or won't tell you if they do.

My truck just rolled 700,000 miles on the odom (FL M2106, 12,000# frnt axle) and I still have the original bearings on the steer axle. I run 75-90 MOB 1 LS SYNTH and change it out within 120,000 miles. Some very shiny metal showed up last time barely detectable with the human eye, stuck to the plugs magnets, but this was 40,000 miles ago and none since then. I am watching them closely and know they are due so I am checking the temps by hand often and they are remaining cool so far. Your recommendation of every 100,000 mi.s tho, jees, that would get expensive. Sounds like I'm on borrowed time here.

On a similar note, anybody tried micro blue Microblue Racing | The competition will be tough. We've got what you need to win! yet? I heard Rutherford say the other nite he picked up 5 tenths on his tractors with the steers and single rear axle sets treated. Fairly pricey but if I can pick up that kind of mileage, it would pay off in a hurry with today's fuel prices.

EASYTRADER

Expert Expediter
Wheel bearings are cheap. I'm pretty surprised yours have held up so long, front bearings take a massive pounding.