The Future of Expediting; Yes or No?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have no beef with Load 1. In fact I think it's a good company.

My beef is with YOUR double standard. There are several posts in the L1 forum about certain drivers running heavy. Some of you do over do it.

So where do you draw the line of being over weight? 1 pound, 100 pounds or 1000 pounds. So it's ok for you to "not over do it" and the other guy can't. It's legal for you to do it but not the other guy.

Don't throw rocks, you'll break a window.

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Hey guy how ya doing?

I talk with Guido often...he is darn near anal about weight, he won't go 1 lb over....imagine that...
unlike I who has some wiggle room depending on how much I can stretch it out....and I play with my fuel level to offset....but we are only talking a couple hundred if that...not 1,000's like some of these yellow bandits...

guido4475

Not a Member
I have no beef with Load 1. In fact I think it's a good company.

My beef is with YOUR double standard. There are several posts in the L1 forum about certain drivers running heavy. Some of you do over do it.

So where do you draw the line of being over weight? 1 pound, 100 pounds or 1000 pounds. So it's ok for you to "not over do it" and the other guy can't. It's legal for you to do it but not the other guy.

Don't throw rocks, you'll break a window.

Double standard? No way.Sorry you see it that way.

I once used to have my weight capacity ot a certain weight, but reduced it, just because I felt it wasn't a safe amount of weight for my van to carry.I once had a 3,000# skid on the very rear of my van, and it only dropped 1.5 inches in height.I guess it must be the 9 leaf springs on each side on the rear to account for that.But, many do not take into consideration the weight carrying capacity of their tires.I could have 20 leaf springs per side, but all that doesnt mean squat if the tires are not rated for that weight.I did, when I bought my last set of tires, go to the next size bigger just for the extra 300# per tire additional they are rated for over the smaller size. I also check my tires physically with a tire gauge every Sunday. I have a tendency to overdo things on my van.Severe duty brake pads.1.5 inch diameter rear stabilizer bar added to the rear.Severe duty overload shocks. I'd rather have too much of something than not enough. I want the peace of mind knowing that when I am at my load limit, I can do it safely and under control.I do have a lower weight capacity then most.I know I have lost some loads because of this.But, limits are meant to be respected.I will not go over that.And besides, the average weight per load for the past months to date are as follows:
Jan-695#
Feb-903#
Mar-526#
Apr-432#
May-772#
June-1,050#
July-831#
Aug-831#
Sept-861#
Oct-536#

My loads have been anywhere from 1 pound to 2,470#, still under my limit, and I only hauled a load of that weight once so far.I did haul a heavier load than that, but it was a very short run, and the van hauled it flawlessly. So with these numbers, you can clearly see that we do not haul alot of weight to begin with.What I am having a problem with, is guys that continually haul weight where their van/Sprinter/cube is squatting way too low, the *** end dragging, and tires bulging. That is un-safe to themselves as well as others. I, as well as I am sure others, see this quite often,especially with those yellow trucks.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Hey guy how ya doing?

I talk with Guido often...he is darn near anal about weight, he won't go 1 lb over....imagine that...
unlike I who has some wiggle room depending on how much I can stretch it out....and I play with my fuel level to offset....but we are only talking a couple hundred if that...not 1,000's like some of these yellow bandits...

I'm doing great. Glad to see your still breathing. That's always a good thing.

I wasn't saying Guido in particular hauling heavy loads. Just the double standard.

Now, you know, I know and Guido knows who does it because of a 12500 factory spec changed to 9900 to be under logs. Can the vehicle handle it, probably. Is it legal? There are some there that have air bags on their Sprinter and haul 3000 lbs often, that's overweight. There is not a Sprinter 2500 SRW made that can legally haul 3000 lbs of cargo with driver, fluid and gear.

When I was there, my weight was set for 2500 lbs. I did on occasion get offered loads way over that. 3000 + lbs. I refused them because I didn't want to strain my vehicle and it didn't pay anymore.

Vehicle, driver, gear, accessories and fluids minus GVWR = payload capacity. Anything over is illegal. Course we all know this. Do we all live by it. No, but whether we go over by 1 pound or 5000, doesn't justify singling out one group because of color of vehicle, type of vehicle or whether the driver speaks english or not and the rate they choose to accept.

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
Double standard? No way.Sorry you see it that way.

I once used to have my weight capacity ot a certain weight, but reduced it, just because I felt it wasn't a safe amount of weight for my van to carry.I once had a 3,000# skid on the very rear of my van, and it only dropped 1.5 inches in height.I guess it must be the 9 leaf springs on each side on the rear to account for that.But, many do not take into consideration the weight carrying capacity of their tires.I could have 20 leaf springs per side, but all that doesnt mean squat if the tires are not rated for that weight.I did, when I bought my last set of tires, go to the next size bigger just for the extra 300# per tire additional they are rated for over the smaller size. I also check my tires physically with a tire gauge every Sunday. I have a tendency to overdo things on my van.Severe duty brake pads.1.5 inch diameter rear stabilizer bar added to the rear.Severe duty overload shocks. I'd rather have too much of something than not enough. I want the peace of mind knowing that when I am at my load limit, I can do it safely and under control.I do have a lower weight capacity then most.I know I have lost some loads because of this.But, limits are meant to be respected.I will not go over that.And besides, the average weight per load for the past months to date are as follows:
Jan-695#
Feb-903#
Mar-526#
Apr-432#
May-772#
June-1,050#
July-831#
Aug-831#
Sept-861#
Oct-536#

My loads have been anywhere from 1 pound to 2,470#, still under my limit, and I only hauled a load of that weight once so far.I did haul a heavier load than that, but it was a very short run, and the van hauled it flawlessly. So with these numbers, you can clearly see that we do not haul alot of weight to begin with.What I am having a problem with, is guys that continually haul weight where their van/Sprinter/cube is squatting way too low, the *** end dragging, and tires bulging. That is un-safe to themselves as well as others. I, as well as I am sure others, see this quite often,especially with those yellow trucks.

I also have a problem with any vehicle severely overweight. From a pickup hauling sheetrock to a big truck.

It's not just the yellow trucks!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm doing great. Glad to see your still breathing. That's always a good thing.

I wasn't saying Guido in particular hauling heavy loads. Just the double standard.

Now, you know, I know and Guido knows who does it because of a 12500 factory spec changed to 9900 to be under logs. Can the vehicle handle it, probably. Is it legal? There are some there that have air bags on their Sprinter and haul 3000 lbs often, that's overweight. There is not a Sprinter 2500 SRW made that can legally haul 3000 lbs of cargo with driver, fluid and gear.

When I was there, my weight was set for 2500 lbs. I did on occasion get offered loads way over that. 3000 + lbs. I refused them because I didn't want to strain my vehicle and it didn't pay anymore.

Vehicle, driver, gear, accessories and fluids minus GVWR = payload capacity. Anything over is illegal. Course we all know this. Do we all live by it. No, but whether we go over by 1 pound or 5000, doesn't justify singling out one group because of color of vehicle, type of vehicle or whether the driver speaks english or not and the rate they choose to accept.

And there lies the whole problem in a nutshell....in a CV or Sprinter or any vehicle under 10k there is no such thing as legal or illegal.....it is more of a matter of safe or unsafe....since we are not regulated...BUT....and I say BUT....should you get in an accident and the investigator finds that you have exceeded the manufactures weight....you'd best have deep pockets because the other party is going to sue your butt off.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just to clarify a point, unregulated vehicles (cars, light trucks, anything under 10,000 lbs) can legally run heavier than their GVWR, in most cases. There are a few states that have laws regarding exceeding the tire rating by a specific amount (usually illegal if the weight exceed the tire rating by 1.5 times), but the big factor in legal versus illegal with unregulated vehicles is the weight for which the vehicle is registered. If you have a Sprinter cargo van, which has a GVWR of 8,550, and you have registered plates for 10,000 pounds, you can legally weigh 10,000 pounds. If you register the vehicle for 16,000, you can legally weigh 16,000 pounds. If you register the vehicle for 8,000 pounds, then you're illegal at 8,001 pounds, despite the GVWR being 8,550.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Just to clarify a point, unregulated vehicles (cars, light trucks, anything under 10,000 lbs) can legally run heavier than their GVWR, in most cases.

So, help me understand. If what you say is true, why are the unregulated trucks mentioned by others above getting tickets?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, help me understand. If what you say is true, why are the unregulated trucks mentioned by others above getting tickets?

Maybe because the cops can see the trucks are grossly overweight???

I don't care what the door plate or the license plate says, gross overweight for the vehicle is unsafe and the cops will stop you for that.

bad load.jpg

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Could be...for the unsafe driving of the vehicle...?
Turtles correct...my plate is 5K commercial.....get caught 10,001...overweight. On the license portion
I could have opted for a 4k commercial plate but my GVRW is 8550....550 lbs more then my plate would allow on the roads as in plates are road tax....

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Just to clarify a point, unregulated vehicles (cars, light trucks, anything under 10,000 lbs) can legally run heavier than their GVWR, in most cases. There are a few states that have laws regarding exceeding the tire rating by a specific amount (usually illegal if the weight exceed the tire rating by 1.5 times), but the big factor in legal versus illegal with unregulated vehicles is the weight for which the vehicle is registered. If you have a Sprinter cargo van, which has a GVWR of 8,550, and you have registered plates for 10,000 pounds, you can legally weigh 10,000 pounds. If you register the vehicle for 16,000, you can legally weigh 16,000 pounds. If you register the vehicle for 8,000 pounds, then you're illegal at 8,001 pounds, despite the GVWR being 8,550.

That may be true where you come from, but SC you cannot tag for more than vehicle GVW.

Cacique

Active Expediter
I will say this about the courier company I worked for: Those two yellow trucks never would have gotten under the 10,000 designation. They're clearly over, any attempt to load them with what they're capable of carrying and trying to run them as "under ten" units would get the vehicles pulled over by the locals (Elk Grove Village police are really watching in the industrial district, and they've been on courier trucks like white on rice). The unit would be pulled over to the scales, and if it's overweight--- somebody's gonna pay and that truck has to be lightened. I was in the office on other business when one of these incidents happened, and Steve asked how the driver could put that much weight on when he knew he couldn't carry it. Also that from then on he was going to be watching all single-axle vehicles because of the loads some were trying to carry.

No their not over 10k i drove a e350 with a 16 ft box a sleeper and empty was 6700 lbs

GO DAWGS!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I dunno, speeding? They aren't getting tickets for exceeding their GVWR, unless their GVWR is above 10,000 pounds, or unless they de-rated the vehicle down to below 10,001 and they weigh more than that. I don't know of a single state where it is against the law to exceed the GVWR, except the few (like Massachusetts) that have laws regarding axle weight ratings. Any ticket for overweight will be for unsafe vehicle operation, not for being overweight. (again, this applies to non-CMVs only).

If you exceed your registration weight you'll get one for that, though, but registration weight and GVWR are two different issues.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Tell me if I am reading this right.

That truck has a GVW of 12,300 lbs. and a tare weight (curb weight) of 6,756 lbs., providing a hypothetical payload of 5,554 lbs. The box size on that truck is greater than a FedEx Custom Critcial C-unit. FedEx requires a DOT sleeper but their trucks but these yellow trucks are hauling expedited freight without sleepers. (I'm using FedEx specs as a proxy for all traditional expedite carriers).

Advertised truck cost is $12,750, and you don't need a CDL to drive one.

I'm begining to understand why more and more of these trucks are showing up in the expedite market. I can buy four of them for what I pay just for for fuel in a year on our truck.

As long as under the radar shippers are willing hire to under the radar trucks, these trucks have a future, do they not?

Last edited:

spongebox

Active Expediter
We had the opportunity to look thru I've of these trucks today, it was actually well equipped with e track, three rows a good amount of load locks, a very efficent floor in the cargo area as well, the sleeper on the other hand was to say the least scary. I think all expedite vehicles should share the same rules, vans small straight trucks, sprinters all of them, then the playing field would be level, we run a dock high freightliner so I'm jaded by the HOS and DOT rules, but if they were as regulated as we are it would weed out the fly by night folks ...IMHO

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have seen a bunch some outfitted many not. Plywood air reflectors seem to be a popular addition.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We had the opportunity to look thru I've of these trucks today, it was actually well equipped with e track, three rows a good amount of load locks, a very efficent floor in the cargo area as well, the sleeper on the other hand was to say the least scary. I think all expedite vehicles should share the same rules, vans small straight trucks, sprinters all of them, then the playing field would be level, we run a dock high freightliner so I'm jaded by the HOS and DOT rules, but if they were as regulated as we are it would weed out the fly by night folks ...IMHO

Sent from my VS910 4G using EO Forums

That would be a solution...BUT it would also eliminate our advantage over the straight....our competitive edge would be lost....
The only solution I see without government intrusion would be for load boards to have a set of standards....like some quality control....

Marty

Veteran Expediter
The original question was if this is the future of Expediting? The first question to ask is whether there will be a future in Expediting the way things are going.
I don't understand why the yellow van in the picture can't have a gvw of 10,000lbs. Chevrolet and GMC have duel wheel cutaway vans with a 10,000lb gvw.