The end is near for windows 7

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Being one of the last people who gives into upgrading a perfectly good system, I was not happy to see today that my old faithful Windows 7 will be coming to a end for support and upgrades.

Since security will become a issue, I'll have no choice but to move up.
Since I know my current desktop will not be able to handle Windows 10,
I'm sure I'll be eyeing up Windows 8 first :JC-hysterical:

windows_7_.png

Reactions: ntimevan

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know, this may have a bigger impact then when they stopped supporting my Iphone 5C :rolleyes:

Not just for me, but I can't count the number of business's I been to that I'm surprised are still running on Windows 7.
Most of whom are running on older computers that just won't cut the mustard for a full upgrade to Windows 10, like mine.
So for many, it will involve buying new computers or a lessor upgrade and hope that will last for a while longer.

Maybe a good time to invest in some computer manufactures or software :JC-hysterical:

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You know, this may have a bigger impact then when they stopped supporting my Iphone 5C :rolleyes:

Not just for me, but I can't count the number of business's I been to that I'm surprised are still running on Windows 7.
Most of whom are running on older computers that just won't cut the mustard for a full upgrade to Windows 10, like mine.
So for many, it will involve buying new computers or a lessor upgrade and hope that will last for a while longer.

Maybe a good time to invest in some computer manufactures or software :JC-hysterical:
If you're interested in saving alot of money, I have friend I know in NW Indiana that reconditions and upgrades Computers as a side Business.

...$$$$

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you're interested in saving alot of money, I have friend I know in NW Indiana that reconditions and upgrades Computers as a side Business.

...$$$$

That's how I got this one, (locally), when my last one crapped out, saved a ton ;)
Funny, I could have got one for about $20 more running Windows 10, but that's not what I wanted to run, and I already owned the Windows 7 software.

He did look at me kind of strange over that decision :rolleyes:

Reactions: ntimevan

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Happy Linux user for 6 years. I can run windows 1-10 in a "window" with emulation, but I haven't found any reason to other than chuckles

Gaming excepted, altho Steambox helped

Reactions: RoadTime

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ooh fair warning. You'll come to regret that. Microsoft is moving to a monthly paid subscription model at an unknown time

I'd had enough of it long ago

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Windows 10 on this laptop and cant get used to it. My last desktop had XP. Loved it cause I had everything on it where I knew where everything was on it. Girlfriend wanted one with a lot more memory. She hasn't put anything on it yet. Its 2 years old now.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Don't worry about upgrading yet. After support ends you will still have a couple of good years left. More important than the operating system is your web browser. Once it no longer supports the operating system (security wise) then it will be time to upgrade. When that time comes, don't even bother with windows 8, just go right to 10. By then an operating system newer than 10 will be out so that's always the best time to upgrade to the previous version. People that think they need to always be on the leading edge more times than not end up on the bleeding edge instead. I plan to ring every last day I can out of win 7 before upgrading. Who knows, as mobility and off grid needs increase, laptops will be losing market share more and more to tablets where iOS or android are the predominate choices in Os's anyways so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The end has come. RIP Windows 7 support and security updates.
Oh what will I do now :rolleyes:

I did find it interesting to learn that a estimated 1/4 of the world computers still run on windows 7 o_O
I don't feel so alone now ;)

But really, that's a hell of a lot of people using windows 7, yet Microsoft still decided to give it the axe.

Jason2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The end has come. RIP Windows 7 support and security updates.
Oh what will I do now :rolleyes:

I did find it interesting to learn that a estimated 1/4 of the world computers still run on windows 7 o_O
I don't feel so alone now ;)

But really, that's a hell of a lot of people using windows 7, yet Microsoft still decided to give it the axe.
Well, Like everthing else,Its the money.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hard to say goodbye to updates?

Seems Microsoft is having more trouble ending its windows 7 updates then planned.
Other then a botched final update that needed updating..

Microsoft forced to create a free Windows 7 update just days after updates ended

They are rolling out 3 more years of updates to select groups that bought plans for servicing and business needs. However, I didn't pay for any services, and I have been receiving updates. Just had one this morning. So maybe now everyone is included, which only seems fair.

Reactions: brokcanadian

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
If everybody had downloaded Windows 10 for FREE back when they offered it for like a WHOLE YEAR then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

That being said, Windows 10 is far superior to every previous version.

And THAT being said, Linux is far superior to every version of Windows ever.

AND it's free, along with all the productivity software you're likely to ever need. Stop paying for the privilege of feeding your personal information to advertisers.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If everybody had downloaded Windows 10 for FREE back when they offered it for like a WHOLE YEAR then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

That being said, Windows 10 is far superior to every previous version.

And THAT being said, Linux is far superior to every version of Windows ever.

AND it's free, along with all the productivity software you're likely to ever need. Stop paying for the privilege of feeding your personal information to advertisers.

Did a free computer come with the download?

The main problem with anyone running windows 7 is their computer can't run Windows 10 that's why most of the affected business PC's are still running 7, like myself.

Hmm, maybe a government bailout is needed

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I've got two Win7 and a Win8 machine sitting here, running Windows 10 Pro. Just saying.

i5 or Ryzen machines can be had for about $400 these days, and with 8GB of RAM they'll run Windows extremely well. Of course, they'll run Linux better, but that's another conversation.

I use my Windows machines for vintage gaming because no matter what anybody says, Windows runs better by itself than it does under Wine.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Most of the early first generation Windows 7 machines don't have the clock or BUS speeds to run Windows 10. Having said that, the majority of Windows 7 machines will run Windows 10, since both operating systems have similar hardware requirements.

Linux has a lot of positives, but also a lot of negatives when moving from Windows. No Photoshop, Illustrator, Office.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Photoshop - GNU Image Manipulation Program
Illustrator - Inkscape
Office - Libre Office

All are as-good, if not better.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Photoshop - GNU Image Manipulation Program
Illustrator - Inkscape
Office - Libre Office

All are as-good, if not better.
Not better is correct.

Gimp is the best free photo editor, but people who think it's just as good as Photoshop don't really know what Photoshop can do. Gimp doesn't have CMYK Color mode, or Pantone color, or spot color, which is critical for something commercially printed. It can't handle Camera Raw files, which contain hundreds times more information than jpg and other files Gimp can read. While Gimp can open PSD files, the chances of it being rendered properly is about 5 percent. Non-destructive edits with complicated composites is impossible with Gimp. Gimp has a single healing tool for pixel Manipulation, and it's quite limited, whereas Photoshop has 4 such tools with infinite fine tuning with each. Gimp is perfectly fine for simple image editing, I've used it a lot, but for something more sophisticated or detailed, the more powerful tools of Photoshop win out.

Inkscape is actually pretty good, especially if all you need it for is digital art, like websites, icons, app GUIs, etc. It's great. But it lacks that CMYK color output and, like Gimp, Pantone color matching.

Libre Office is actually pretty good. It will do most things that most people want to do in an office suite. It kills MS Office in file compatibility, as it will open pretty much anything, and can even save files in ebook formats. Sometimes documents render weird in Libre Office, because it can't properly use MS fonts. I tend to stay away from the MS font alternatives and go with Helvetica over Arial, for example. Solves that problem.

The downside is, the people who code and review the system are not user-focused, rather they are developers who are tool-focused. So by nature it's clunky, bloated and a little crash heavy. Having said that, it's a top notch alternative to MS Office, and the way Microsoft is headed with their online-only, always-connected model, making standalone, offline productivity more difficult (not yet, but that's where they are headed), Libre Office becomes an even more attractive option.