The cost of staying warm

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We didn't have ours serviced last year or this year. It started making a little white smoke when starting. Was going to get it serviced, now at Themo King as it failed to fire up. Sure did kick myself for not making it a priority.
Thermo King is very proud of their service and repairs. They will show you just how proud they are in the cost of the repairs. White smoke is almost always a clogged atomizer screen. It's a $2 part that takes just a few minutes to replace, but Thermo King will figure out how to stretch that into a couple of hours. :D

I think the blower motor is good for between 5,000 and 8,000 hours. The burner is good for probably twice that. I end up having to replace the blower motor every other year, and the burner every other blower motor replacement. My heater has well over 35,000 hours, the most they've ever seen or heard of at Espar of Michigan. Of course, the only thing original is the wiring harness and the case.

My blower motor went at 550 hours, still yet to replace it. Gotta call Espar to see what they can do. I wish it was as easy as just getting a Espar, along with that comes 2 or 4 batteries, a inverter, roof vents, 2 layers of insulation, etc.

NorthernBill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We didn't have ours serviced last year or this year. It started making a little white smoke when starting. Was going to get it serviced, now at Themo King as it failed to fire up. Sure did kick myself for not making it a priority.
Thermo King is very proud of their service and repairs. They will show you just how proud they are in the cost of the repairs. White smoke is almost always a clogged atomizer screen. It's a $2 part that takes just a few minutes to replace, but Thermo King will figure out how to stretch that into a couple of hours. :D

I think the blower motor is good for between 5,000 and 8,000 hours. The burner is good for probably twice that. I end up having to replace the blower motor every other year, and the burner every other blower motor replacement. My heater has well over 35,000 hours, the most they've ever seen or heard of at Espar of Michigan. Of course, the only thing original is the wiring harness and the case.
Yep, under $600, and such a fine experance.

BlindSquid

Active Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Gas version of the espar in my van and love it.

Didn't make that rating "not helpful" damn funny though. Totally correct too. (I feel your pain rater)

Dealer I spoke to said gas version was dangerous. Still want one though.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Espar and Webasto both make excellent and completely 100% safe gasoline fueled units. Your "dealer" is a dummy or...didn't have a gas one to sell you.

Reactions: xmudman

DollarSign

Fleet Owner
Owner/Operator
I've got a Espar D4 and it's my second year having it. It does a awesome job and i keep toasty! I Love It!

The cost has already be explained, but one thing I would add IMHO is you need a small generator to keep the battery or batteries charged and to have electricity while sitting. Idling would heavily cost you more money. Now if you move everyday or get a load then you'll be fine except on the weekend.

Last edited:

Rogue205

New Recruit
Driver
I'm at the point where I am willing to pay for an espar myself (drive for owner) because I'm so tired of the cold. Been sick for almost 2 weeks now.

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

5th winter on my gas espar. No service or problems yet. How/where do you find hours?
When they plug in to troubleshoot.

Reactions: schwanman

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm at the point where I am willing to pay for an espar myself (drive for owner) because I'm so tired of the cold. Been sick for almost 2 weeks now.
I was in the same boat. I offered to pay half for a espar. Owner declined, but did go half on a big buddy heater which I did get to keep.
I still use it when at home, so that worked out.

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Rogue205

New Recruit
Driver
Plan is to insulate it atleast (my cost of course). And hopefully pick up some kind of buddy heater. Unless I find a better fleet owner that has a van already with bunk and heater plus better split.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was in the same boat. I offered to pay half for a espar. Owner declined, but did go half on a big buddy heater which I did get to keep.
I still use it when at home, so that worked out.

I would have jumped at the offer for you to pay half.
And gave you a very reasonable target to hit to get your half back.
I wouldn’t be without heat, so I wouldn’t have a driver out there without heat.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's really not much different than central heating in your house. You turn it on, set the thermostat, and forget about it.
Except the thermostat is in the unit which is mounted on the floor; the cold, uninsulated floor.
In those cases, the thermostat measures the cold air intake and is adjusted by the rheostat on the controller. Last year I replaced my rheostat controller with the digital thermostat controller.

With the digital controller you tell the unit to measure the temperature from either the air intake or at the controller itself. Doesn't really matter which you choose. Then you input a specific temp into the controller thermostat. In my case I have it measured at the controller, and I have it set to 78 degrees F, and that keeps it about 72-75 degrees in the van (as confirmed by a separate, external thermometer).

If I set it to measure at the air intake of the heater, I'd probably need to adjust the 78 degree temp to something very different in order to achieve the same 72-75 room temperature.

But either way, after a few days of adjusting the temperature setting, you hone it in on the right setting. Then forget about it. Turns out, in my van, 80 is a little too warm 76 it's a little too cold, but 78 is Goldilocks.

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In those cases, the thermostat measures the cold air intake and is adjusted by the rheostat on the controller. Last year I replaced my rheostat controller with the digital thermostat controller.

With the digital controller you tell the unit to measure the temperature from either the air intake or at the controller itself. Doesn't really matter which you choose. Then you input a specific temp into the controller thermostat. In my case I have it measured at the controller, and I have it set to 78 degrees F, and that keeps it about 72-75 degrees in the van (as confirmed by a separate, external thermometer).

If I set it to measure at the air intake of the heater, I'd probably need to adjust the 78 degree temp to something very different in order to achieve the same 72-75 room temperature.

But either way, after a few days of adjusting the temperature setting, you hone it in on the right setting. Then forget about it. Turns out, in my van, 80 is a little too warm 76 it's a little too cold, but 78 is Goldilocks.
You run yours a lot warmer and longer then mine

If needed during the day, I run it at 62-65F, at night I'll normally bump it up to 68F or leave at 65F depending on temps. Only once so far have I turned it up to 70F this winter, and still ended up turning it back down to 68F mid sleep. I guess that's my sweet spot.

I like the digital thermostat, although I was questioning its accuracy.
After using a separate digital thermometer to compare, mine is pretty much spot on

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You run yours a lot warmer and longer then mine
emoji6.png
That's because I'm usually nekkid in here. Window coverings go up, clothing comes off. :eek: