The Boys Of Autumn Have Arrived

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Like I said the dawgs wanted revenge on auburn

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
That was a good game ... for like the first 3 quarters.

Great win for GA, brutal loss for Auburn. They beat GA, beat Bama ... lose to GA.
Side note: Auburn never should have played their hurt star running back. That kid didn't belong on the field.

Sent from my VS987 using EO Forums mobile app

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
8 team playoff would drastically dilute the importance of regular season games & conference championships.

It would be a big nail in the coffin ..

But you agree that Bama (who didn't even win their division in their conference)should be in the playoff over Ohio State. Ohio State won their conference championship and had a stronger strength of schedule. Doesn't keeping them out water down the importance of a conference championship?

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
8 team playoff would drastically dilute the importance of regular season games & conference championships.

But you agree that Bama (who didn't even win their division in their conference)should be in the playoff over Ohio State. Ohio State won their conference championship and had a stronger strength of schedule. Doesn't keeping them out water down the importance of a conference championship?

Bama goes in over Ohio State for the following reasons:

1) Bama finished 11-1, Ohio State 11-2 ... OSU lost 1 more game. If ya know anything about college football .. ONE game is a BIG DEAL & I'd like for it to stay that way. Having teams in the playoff with potentially 2 or 3 losses waters down the importance of regular season games.
2) Bama's 1 loss was to a #6 ranked Auburn team 26-14. OSU's 2 losses were to a #5 ranked OK 31-16 & to an unranked Iowa team 55-24. They got their doors blown off by an unranked team! That loss by itself keeps OSU out imo.
3)Strength of schedule!? How so? Please explain how OSU's strength of schedule was stronger than Bama's? They each beat 4 teams that were ranked in the top 25. Bama's SEC IN conference schedule is a gauntlet! OSU's IN conference schedule was not nearly as difficult. Out of conference they both scheduled 1 ranked, hard team & a bunch of cream puffs.

I'd like to see a team from the Big 10 or PAC 12 in the final 4. But the reality is, the Big 10 & PAC 12, as a whole, are still not as strong as the SEC. Their IN conference games are not as significant & therefore teams gotta man up & schedule stud teams from out of conference.

Over the past few seasons look at how premier teams have juiced up their mediocre in conference schedules. Schedule tough teams from out of conference. You win those games, you get respect. You duck those teams, not much respect. btw ... Clemson is a perfect example of this. Dabo, realizing the ACC had a week in conference strength of schedule, started to schedule tough teams from outside the ACC. Clemson plays Auburn every year now. Next year Clemson is going to College Station to play Texas A&M. Jimbo still can't get away from Dabo ... lol

Alabama 2017 Schedule - Crimson Tide Home and Away - ESPN
Ohio State 2017 Schedule - Buckeyes Home and Away - ESPN

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And just for the record .. I'll say it .. the Big10, PAC12 & ACC are still cream puff conferences compared to the SEC :D

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think Miami is a high wire act. A team that has lived on big plays. They're luck ran out against Pitt. They're lots of fun to watch .. but ultimately they don't belong in the top 4. Alabama is a much better caliber team imo. I think Miami gets spanked by Clemson....

I think Miami is gonna give Clemson a run for there money

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Agree. Miami had their letdown game after their big victory over Notre Dame. They lost to Pittsburgh. Now it will be their rebound game against Clemson.

One last thought on Miami ....
They're like 1-2 yrs away. Richt is awesome. Now that Jimbo is gone, Miami is second to Clemson in the ACC. They're also the go-to school in FL ... with FL & FL St lagging behind. What kid isn't going to want to go to Miami & play for Richt? This team just needs to mature & get deeper.
I think it'll be fun watching The U in the mix again ....

Reactions: ucfd608

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

1) Bama finished 11-1, Ohio State 11-2 ... OSU lost 1 more game. If ya know anything about college football .. ONE game is a BIG DEAL & I'd like for it to stay that way. Having teams in the playoff with potentially 2 or 3 losses waters down the importance of regular season games.
2) Bama's 1 loss was to a #6 ranked Auburn team 26-14. OSU's 2 losses were to a #5 ranked OK 31-16 & to an unranked Iowa team 55-24. They got their doors blown off by an unranked team! That loss by itself keeps OSU out imo.
3)Strength of schedule!? How so? Please explain how OSU's strength of schedule was stronger than Bama's? They each beat 4 teams that were ranked in the top 25. Bama's SEC IN conference schedule is a gauntlet! OSU's IN conference schedule was not nearly as difficult. Out of conference they both scheduled 1 ranked, hard team & a bunch of cream puffs.

I'd like to see a team from the Big 10 or PAC 12 in the final 4. But the reality is, the Big 10 & PAC 12, as a whole, are still not as strong as the SEC. Their IN conference games are not as significant & therefore teams gotta man up & schedule stud teams from out of conference.

Over the past few seasons look at how premier teams have juiced up their mediocre in conference schedules. Schedule tough teams from out of conference. You win those games, you get respect. You duck those teams, not much respect. btw ... Clemson is a perfect example of this. Dabo, realizing the ACC had a week in conference strength of schedule, started to schedule tough teams from outside the ACC. Clemson plays Auburn every year now. Next year Clemson is going to College Station to play Texas A&M. Jimbo still can't get away from Dabo ... lol

For one, the SEC West division had a 'down year'. Teams like Arkansas, Mississippi, A&M and a couple others weren't very good this year. The East teams that Bama played were against the always dangerous Vanderbilt, and a Volunteer team that had a meltdown season. Secondly, Alabama lost to a three loss Auburn team who is now ranked ninth.
(Ohio State, btw, beat a top 4 team that is now 10th ranked team Penn State.) Ohio State did schedule a formidable opponent in Oklahoma. Granted, they lost that game, but they didn't have all cupcakes on their non conference schedule. Oklahoma is a 2nd ranked playoff team.
Alabam big non conference game was against FSU, who had something like 6 losses this year. They were so bad this year that their coach bolted to another team. Another non conference game Alabama played was against the highly touted Mercer squad. Mercer?!, Mercer?!!, Mercer?!!!!! Mercy...
Ohio State's signature wins were against number 4 ranked Wisconsin, a top 4 Penn State, a top 20 Michigan team, and a Top 10 team at the time, MSU, who they annihilated.
Bottom line, when in came down to crunch time at the end of the season, Bama lost to a three loss Auburn team and Ohio State beat an undefeated Wisconsin team.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

For one, the SEC West division had a 'down year'. Teams like Arkansas, Mississippi, A&M and a couple others weren't very good this year. The East teams that Bama played were against the always dangerous Vanderbilt, and a Volunteer team that had a meltdown season. Secondly, Alabama lost to a three loss Auburn team who is now ranked ninth.
(Ohio State, btw, beat a top 4 team that is now 10th ranked team Penn State.) Ohio State did schedule a formidable opponent in Oklahoma. Granted, they lost that game, but they didn't have all cupcakes on their non conference schedule. Oklahoma is a 2nd ranked playoff team.
Alabam big non conference game was against FSU, who had something like 6 losses this year. They were so bad this year that their coach bolted to another team. Another non conference game Alabama played was against the highly touted Mercer squad. Mercer?!, Mercer?!!, Mercer?!!!!! Mercy...
Ohio State's signature wins were against number 4 ranked Wisconsin, a top 4 Penn State, a top 20 Michigan team, and a Top 10 team at the time, MSU, who they annihilated.
Bottom line, when in came down to crunch time at the end of the season, Bama lost to a three loss Auburn team and Ohio State beat an undefeated Wisconsin team.

1)Bama lost to a TWO loss Auburn team that was ranked #6 at the time. I attached the links .. can we please keep the facts straight?

2)You cherry picked the 3 teams at the bottom of the SEC West: Texas A&M, Ole Miss & Arkansas. On the flip side let's now look at the 3 teams at the bottom of the Big10 East: Rutgers, MD & IN. Thanks for proving my point! Top to bottom the SEC is much deeper than the BIG10. Which 3 teams are you taking over the other 3? Not even a contest.

3)Wanna simply glaze over that loss to Iowa? No answer to that , ha ....? Where is Bama's 30 point loss to an unranked team?

Bottom line ... people with much more knowledge & experience will soon choose which 4 teams are in. I think Bama is in. We'll see .....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Clemson
Georgia
Oklahoma
and ....
Media will favor .. Alabama

Sorry ... Bourbon Urban but your Buckeyes got beat by 30 points by Farm Boys with No Offense ... and i am a Big 10 Hawkeye fan ...

... still pond hopping

Reactions: Grizzly

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

1)Bama lost to a TWO loss Auburn team that was ranked #6 at the time. I attached the links .. can we please keep the facts straight?

2)You cherry picked the 3 teams at the bottom of the SEC West: Texas A&M, Ole Miss & Arkansas. On the flip side let's now look at the 3 teams at the bottom of the Big10 East: Rutgers, MD & IN. Thanks for proving my point! Top to bottom the SEC is much deeper than the BIG10. Which 3 teams are you taking over the other 3? Not even a contest.

3)Wanna simply glaze over that loss to Iowa? No answer to that , ha ....? Where is Bama's 30 point loss to an unranked team?

Bottom line ... people with much more knowledge & experience will soon choose which 4 teams are in. I think Bama is in. We'll see .....
At the time Alabama lossed to Auburn, they had two losses, but ended up a three loss team. I wouldn't go out on a limb (bottom three)and say they're much deeper. Two of the coaches in the SEC bottom three lost their jobs because they were so bad.
The two teams Bama played in the East were Tennessee and Vanderbilt. Probably the two worst teams in the SEC.
You can say the Iowa loss is a deal breaker, but that is just one game. If you mention the losses, you have to mention the wins as well because you said in essence that the College football schedule as a whole should mean something ,(and conference championships)so ok, Ohio State beat three top ten teams on their schedule. Alabama beat NONE.

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Clemson
Georgia
Oklahoma
and ....
Media will favor .. Alabama

Sorry ... Bourbon Urban but your Buckeyes got beat by 30 points by Farm Boys with No Offense ... and i am a Big 10 Hawkeye fan ...

... still pond hopping
I hope Bama gets in just so they're will be so much chaos that they'll expand playoff a bit.
A few more worthy teams deserve a shot at the playoff. The Pros have something like 12 teams get in with about a quarter of the amount of teams.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wisconsin beat a top 15 Northwestern and Michigan that was ranked in the top 15 as well this year. They beat everyone else on their schedule before the championship game, unlike Alabama.
Did you just mention Northwestern? Ok, you've lost all credibility with me.
You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm out ...

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wisconsin beat a top 15 Northwestern and Michigan that was ranked in the top 15 as well this year. They beat everyone else on their schedule before the championship game, unlike Alabama.
Did you just mention Northwestern? Ok, you've lost all credibility with me.
You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm out ...

I don't ranked the teams. Supposed people who know college football do.
What signature win did Alabama have? No, not Mercer.
BTW, Alabama is IN the playoff. Conference championships mean NOTHING.

Reactions: ntimevan