The 51st state

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are quite a few potential 51st states out there. A couple years ago, a state assemblyman from the Inland Empire in southeastern California floated an initiative to split Cali in two. If they did, I could see myself moving to the IE. I kinda liked it when I was there.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, when the ignorant moron in chief talked about the 57 states he may have been having a vision of the country after he finished ruining it. More power to them and I hope at least several achieve it and I hope the brainless liberals morons left behind who caused it along with all their leeches SUFFER as a result.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Kind of funny when that whole 'democracy' thing that folks espouse doesn't work in their favor 100% of the time.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I'd say the more the merrier.
many Michigane's will be more then happy to opted out of Detroit.
T.X have it's eye on the whole idea of separating form the US for some time now.
we all know that NYC is a country of it's own.
and it won't be so bad to give a rezone for Montana, W.Y, the Dakotas, N.E and K.S to have at least one real sport team.
now if we can all only opted out of WDC- we will all be better off.
{J.K}- chill...

Monty

Expert Expediter
It's not a new idea ....

"The "Republic of Jefferson" was an American state that existed for about 10 months in 1941. Essentially, northern counties in California, and southern counties in Oregon felt betrayed and abandoned by their respective state governments, so they seceded from their states, but *not* the union, and formed their own state, which they called "The Republic of Jefferson."

This kind of thing has been tried before (The State of Franklin, from 1783-1787 springs to mind) and it's expressly forbidden by the constitution *unless* all states which are a party to it, *and* congress agree to allow the subdivision, in which case it's ok. California and Oregon were opposed to it, but were dumbfounded, and congress flatly refused to get involved. It was the biggest story of 1941... until the 1st week of December, of course.

WWII killed the "Jefferson" movement (It seemed pitiful and disloyal, in retrospect), but the fact remains that for nearly a year, the region was completely self-governed with no input from outside."

State of Jefferson (U.S.)

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The VAST majority of people who reside in Michigan, outside of Detroit, would GLADLY let it become it's own state. We suggested it several times. We were going to call it "HELL" but that name was already taken.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Last edited: