That Sure Does Seem Expensive !

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
I'm putting together a business plan. I have a 2011 Chevy Cargo van (value about 22k). I had planned on doing a little expediting in it...I have 3 years experience with straight trucks as a driver, not an owner operator. Anyway, I had planned to use the insurance company I've used all my life (State Farm) but they tell me they don't have insurance for delivery vans...so, I go to a broker and the best quote he could give me was $5,238. Man, that seems high. The van is not all that expensive, I have nothing on my driving record and I'm not a kid (60). Maybe I'm talking to the wrong people....these insurance agents have no idea what expediting entails and seem shocked when I tell them my working area will be coast to coast. Can anyone steer me in the direction of an insurance company that maybe specializes in cargo van expediters?
That's not for cargo insurance, that's for 500k liability across the board and comprehensive for my vehicle. Thanks all and be safe !

greg334

Veteran Expediter
That's about the quote I got.

I would ditch the new van - especially the GM product - and get something that is 3 years old. Insure it for replacement cost and see what the price is going to be.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
About 3 months ago a poster posted a couple of times about $43 insurance for a c/v and I had in bookmarked on my laptop but my laptop crashed.

Anyone remember who the poster was or what insurance company that was?

golfournut

Veteran Expediter
My Van is insured for $35000 and it cost me $36.50 a week...

That seems a little high to me Dennis. I have the s/t for 42k and the Sprinter for 45k and paying $212 per month. About $700 more per year for both vs your one.

Are you with CIS?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
thats thru Load 1's insurer and that was cheaper then the guys out of Toledo i was with with the old van...so i am all good with it...:)

You know when you insure an RV so you can Vacation, its what it is!!!! LOL....:D

Detmike208

Seasoned Expediter
Just a quick note to show all those considering driving how important this forum is when the experienced drivers are willing
to share their experience with you...
I just signed on with one of the insurers mentioned in this thread for less than HALF of my original quote....and here's the kicker - it's with the same insurance company that I got the original quote from.
Please...pay attention to what you read on here. You won't find many occupations where your competition will actually try to help you find success.
Thanks again to all who took the time to help me.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
CIS is excellent. They are prompt and courteous and know what they are doing. Their service is as good as you could hope for. HIGHLY recommended.