That New Guy From Ohio. . .

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
KY Highway Department has strict regulations regarding the height of signs in relation to road proximity for advertising. Water tower is too high. Simple as that.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, I remember when it said FLORENCE MALL, then had to be changed to Y'ALL, or so the story goes, as some didn't like it giving such prominent, but free, advertising to the then fairly new Mall. Famous tower, it is.

There goes one of my favorite stories, sigh. I heard that the mall officials got to advertise in return for paying for the paint job. When it needed repainted, they were kind of slow to get it done, so the city officials took care of it - with just a teensy little change, lol.
I hate when the truth ruins a great story!
;)

Ha - well, cheri, as I wrote; "or so the story goes..."

I have no idea if it is any more true or not that what you heard. It's probably on record somewhere, and I suspect that even that has been passed around so many times it's changed in the translation.

Here's what Wikipedia says about the Florence Water Tower, which makes both of us wrong:

"Florence is well known in surrounding cities for a water tower visible from I-75 that reads "Florence Y'all". Originally the tower advertised the up-and-coming Florence Mall, as part of an agreement by the mall developers who donated the land for the tower. However, because the mall was not built yet, the tower violated highway regulations, and the city was forced to change it within a short deadline. Rather than repaint the entire tower, they simply painted over the two vertical lines of the "M" to create a "Y". The intent was to change it back when the mall was built, but the local residents liked the tower's new proclamation, so the city decided to leave it as it was."

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I like it too, however it got there.
But then, I like the peach water tower in Gaffney, SC, which my cousin [a local] says everyone makes fun of cause it looks like it's mooning the road.
:eek:

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
21c, Welcome to the porch!! as for the EO stickers, send a e-mail request here and they will be mailed to you...

- [email protected]

or stop at the EO offices in Florence KY...or attend the EXPO...or, run into me on the road, i have 2 of them that I'd be happy to give you....

Chef - thanks again for the tip; Carol asked how many and where, so I said half a dozen. Now I'll have extras to pass along to others as well.