Thanksgiving

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Cool! I just learned that Landstar is paying for Thanksgiving meals its BCO's at TA and Petro truck stops. They make it easy. We just used our Road King card to print the coupon off the Road King machine at the truck stop.

Having seen the process, I want to share more about how easy it was. Maybe other carriers will do this next year, or even for Christmas this year.

Landstar put the word out that free Thanksgiving and Christmas meals will available to Landstar BCO's (contractors) at TA and Petro truck stops on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, courtesy of Landstar. To get the free meal, drivers need to have a Road King, Ultra One or Passport card. I think most drivers already do since you use them to get your showers and build loyalty points. If not, they can be easily obtained.

We went to the Road King machine at a Petro, swiped the card, selected the "special offers" button, then "coupons" then "Landstar Thanksgiving dinner." Out came a coupon good for a meal cost of up to $33.00. As it happened, the buffet cost was $16.50 each, totaling $33 for the two of us.

We ordered from the waitress as normal. After dinner, we brought the coupon and guest check to the counter to pay. We happened to be the first Landstar drivers of the day to use the coupon and the cashier was confused when she saw it. Then she remembered instructions had been printed and were laying beside the cash register for reference. She and the manager together read the directions and rang up the tab. We were asked to write our names and truck number on the coupon. Landstar covered the food, we covered the tip (especially generous to the waitress because we got the meal for free and she worked for us this Thanksgiving Day).

This was a great way for Landstar to not only treat their drivers to a holiday meal but to make it as easy as (pumpkin) pie to process. There was no paperwork or difficult, extra-step claim process on our end. Accountability was established through our Road King card. It will be easy for TA/Petro and Landstar to settle up at the end of the day as the number of meals served will be instantly and reliably known.

Well done, Landstar and TA/Petro!

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I delivered in Minnesota yesterday morning and planned on staying in service until evening, just in case something came up. I snagged a load that picked up in Northern Minnesota that afternoon and delivers Monday morning in Melrose Park, Ill. 546 miles with 3 days layover pay. I am home to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with my family. We will be having the traditional turkey meal and the layover pay means I get a side of Roast Goose with my turkey. Thank you Panther!

Good one! It's fun when the freight is your friend.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
ImageUploadedByEO Forums1385693885.593352.jpgImageUploadedByEO Forums1385693905.043908.jpg

I'm thankful that I've got a wife that love's to cook.
From our sleeper today:
2 Cornish Hens
Home made stuffing
GB casserole with fresh G Beans
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Home made corn bread
Sweet potato casserole topped w/pecans
Deviled eggs
Pumpkin pie

Since I'm still watching football I'm letting her continue to cook

Macaroni salad and egg salad for later in the weekend.

I'm thankful for her everyday.
She drives good, too !

zorry

Veteran Expediter
A few years back we slipped one of these little hens into a turkey.
We made sure my very blonde sister-in-law was helping my wife clear out the stuffing.
As my wife pulled the hen out she yelled that her sister had purchased a "pregnant" turkey.
Her sister freaked.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Having seen the process, I want to share more about how easy it was. Maybe other carriers will do this next year, or even for Christmas this year.

Landstar put the word out that free Thanksgiving and Christmas meals will available to Landstar BCO's (contractors) at TA and Petro truck stops on Thanksgiving and Christmas Day, courtesy of Landstar. To get the free meal, drivers need to have a Road King, Ultra One or Passport card. I think most drivers already do since you use them to get your showers and build loyalty points. If not, they can be easily obtained.

We went to the Road King machine at a Petro, swiped the card, selected the "special offers" button, then "coupons" then "Landstar Thanksgiving dinner." Out came a coupon good for a meal cost of up to $33.00. As it happened, the buffet cost was $16.50 each, totaling $33 for the two of us.

We ordered from the waitress as normal. After dinner, we brought the coupon and guest check to the counter to pay. We happened to be the first Landstar drivers of the day to use the coupon and the cashier was confused when she saw it. Then she remembered instructions had been printed and were laying beside the cash register for reference. She and the manager together read the directions and rang up the tab. We were asked to write our names and truck number on the coupon. Landstar covered the food, we covered the tip (especially generous to the waitress because we got the meal for free and she worked for us this Thanksgiving Day).

This was a great way for Landstar to not only treat their drivers to a holiday meal but to make it as easy as (pumpkin) pie to process. There was no paperwork or difficult, extra-step claim process on our end. Accountability was established through our Road King card. It will be easy for TA/Petro and Landstar to settle up at the end of the day as the number of meals served will be instantly and reliably known.

Well done, Landstar and TA/Petro!

Nice to see carriers doing good things for the people that do so much!

roadie

Rookie Expediter
In Service in Portland Oregon. Delivered yesterday afternoon so after 2600 direct run enjoying a few relaxing days.Happy Thanksgiving weekend everyone!!! Go Buckeyes on Saturday!!!;)

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Wife and I went to Golden Coral as usual, She didn't have to cook and I didn't have to clean. Also like the fact I could eat as much as I want and take the last without someone complainng because they would bring out more. This was around noon then went to see friends around 6:00pm to sample their desserts. Know gotta get my truck out of the shop and do a 2 week dash for cash run because we booked a cruise to Mexico and the Caymen Islands for Christmas, Got a Harley reserved for cruising once ashore.Wife also wants to be apart of the Christmas festivities at Sea World because they really do a good job of putting you in the Christmas spirit, Great shows so first to Orlando then to Tampa to get on the ship.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
the other way around .....actually Landstar was around BEFORE John in expedite...I remember way back when, Landstar did this for their BCO's...

Well duh, I been around long enough to know that, just didn't know or had never heard of them buying before !!!!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well duh, I been around long enough to know that, just didn't know or had never heard of them buying before !!!!

I never heard you cheer leading before Load 1 either....LOL

2012-11-16-turkey.jpg..............2009-11-26-Thanksgiving-Cartoon.jpg

The Turkey Sat on the backyard fence and he sang this sad sad tune
Thanksgiving day is coming and I'm going to be eaten soon
Gobble gooble gobble I think I going to run away.......
gooble, gooble, gooble I hate Thanksgiving day......
8_5_32.jpg

Last edited:

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I never heard you cheer leading before Load 1 either....LOL

View attachment 8008..............View attachment 8009

The Turkey Sat on the backyard fence and he sang this sad sad tune
Thanksgiving day is coming and I'm going to be eaten soon
Gobble gooble gobble I think I going to run away.......
gooble, gooble, gooble I hate Thanksgiving day......
View attachment 8010

You never worked at Conway Now or you would have !!!!

we sported pom poms there also !! Just google it !!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
You never worked at Conway Now or you would have !!!!

we sported pom poms there also !! Just google it !!

I remember hearing about them...mostly good things....they got bought out the year I was just starting this side of the border....