Thailand Soccer Team

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
These kids have me completely captivated.
Metaphorically .... sometimes we find ourselves in a deep, dark place with no foreseeable way out.
I've literally been praying for them everyday.

Elon Musk has sent a team to Thailand to help in the rescue effort.

Godspeed ....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm not comfortable in the crawl space under the house. A cave? I live practically right next to Mammoth Cave. I've never been in there. My hat's off to these kids for not losing their [crap] by day 3. I hope they can get these kids out of there soon, and not have to wait months.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Metaphorically .... sometimes we find ourselves in a deep, dark place with no foreseeable way out.

Godspeed ....

I'm not comfortable in the crawl space under the house. A cave? I live practically right next to Mammoth Cave. I've never been in there. My hat's off to these kids for not losing their [crap] by day 3. I hope they can get these kids out of there soon, and not have to wait months.
I too, am praying for these kids.

However, dont ask me why, I'm not confident this is going to end well. :(

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's a 5-6 hour trip, with about a 1-mile underwater swim. I'm an excellent swimmer (or rather, used to be), former lifeguard, and have SCUBA certification Level 2 (autonomous, open water diving), I'm nowhere near qualified to make such a trip, even back when I was diving frequently. And these kids don't even know how to swim. Even if they can get them semi-comfortable in the water, and teach them what they need to know to survive the SCUBA gear, it's the opportunities for panic that I'd be the most concerned about. An instant of panic is all it takes.

Reactions: RoadTime

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Godspeed ....

I too, am praying for these kids.

However, dont ask me why, I'm not confident this is going to end well. :(

I understand the feeling, I do ..
Hope! Is there hope even when faced with unimaginable circumstances?

Last edited:

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's a 5-6 hour trip, with about a 1-mile underwater swim. I'm an excellent swimmer (or rather, used to be), former lifeguard, and have SCUBA certification Level 2 (autonomous, open water diving), I'm nowhere near qualified to make such a trip, even back when I was diving frequently. And these kids don't even know how to swim. Even if they can get them semi-comfortable in the water, and teach them what they need to know to survive the SCUBA gear, it's the opportunities for panic that I'd be the most concerned about. An instant of panic is all it takes.

The SpaceX engineers have an interesting idea ....

Maybe worth trying: insert a 1m diameter nylon tube (or shorter set of tubes for most difficult sections) through cave network & inflate with air like a bouncy castle. Should create an air tunnel underwater against cave roof & auto-conform to odd shapes like the 70cm hole. - Elon Musk twitter

Reactions: muttly and Turtle

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Definitely very dangerous. Already claiming the death of a rescuer.

"Saman Kunan, 38, was returning at about 1 a.m. from the chamber where the boys are trapped when he ran out of oxygen, passed out and died. Kunan had left the SEALs in 2006 to work at Bangkok’s airport as an emergency rescue officer".

Sent from my P00I using EO Forums mobile app

Reactions: Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thai officials initially claimed they wouldn't risk the boys lives trying to extract them. Now it appears they can't wait for the cavalry, SpaceX, to save them. I know the weather is an issue but this appears rushed to me.

God help them ...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Well, they got 2 of them out. That's awesome.

Apparently, if it rains much more, and it looks like it's going to, they won't be able to pump faster than the water is rushing in. So now is the best option. They may end up being forced to pause and reassess, regardless. They say it could take 4 or 5 days to get everybody out.

There are several really tight sections under water that are about 2 feet wide. Just thinking about that gives me the willies.

UPDATE: Six are now out!

UPDATE UPDATE: AP is reporting one number, Reuters another. Coud be 4, could be 6.
It's a fluid situation.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are several really tight sections under water that are about 2 feet wide. Just thinking about that gives me the willies.
Me also. I guess I have some form of claustrophobia. It's not so much the confined space, hey I'm a vanner. Rather it's the lack of air flow. I've had a few MRIs. The first was a disaster until they kicked the fan on high. Others with plenty of air flow have gone well, once I settle in. An underwater cave with stale air, not for me.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm fine underwater and have no issues with tight spaces .....

These kids have no experience swimming, no scuba experience, have been trapped in a cave for two weeks!

_102430489__102389398_thai_cave_rescue_640-nc.png

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Is that the mini-sub they were talking about? 5-6 hours in that, I would need to be knocked out :eek:

Reactions: ntimevan