Texting and driving deaths

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

Texting while driving is now the leading cause of death among teenagers – surpassing drinking and driving, according to a study by Cohen Children’s Medical Center. Disturbing statistics from the report include:

More than 3,000 teens die each year in crashes caused by texting while driving
Approximately 2,700 teens are killed in drunk driving accidents
More than 50 percent of teens admit to texting while driving

In addition, Virginia Tech studies show drivers are 23 times more likely to be in an accident if they are texting while driving. And while surveys show distracted driving is becoming more socially unacceptable among teens, these young drivers continue to text while driving, especially when they are alone. Bridgestone Americas Inc. found that of 2,000 young drivers, 71 percent said reading and receiving texts and emails is unacceptable while driving – yet 45 percent admit to doing it. Of those:

95 percent read texts and emails when alone – 32 percent do so when with friends or parents
More than 90 percent admitted to posting on social media sites while behind the wheel – but only 29 percent when with others
75 percent admit to watching a video when alone – compared to 45 percent when with others

Last edited:

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just like back in the early days... If you didn't take the lesons from your elders on how to survive while hunting the wooly mammoth, you more than likely die in the process... Kids have not changed in centuries... not really sure why everyone is so surprised that they don't listen now!!!

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
We need to find a way to disable texting within 3 feet of a steering wheel for a car in motion.

That would eliminate passenger's ability too.

I don't know if all smartphones have the ability, but mine has a "driving mode". Maybe teenager's phones/tablets should be automatically sent to "driving mode", whenever the phone moves faster than 5mph.

And, their parents should teach their teens by example and stop texting and driving as well.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That would eliminate passenger's ability too.

I don't know if all smartphones have the ability, but mine has a "driving mode". Maybe teenager's phones/tablets should be automatically sent to "driving mode", whenever the phone moves faster than 5mph.

And, their parents should teach their teens by example and stop texting and driving as well.

Neither would work, sigh. Disabling text in a moving vehicle would include passengers in the back seat, and on the bus.
And parents should set an example, [and probably many do], but that doesn't mean teens will follow, and btw: the majority of people I see texting while driving are adults. It bothers me that I see a lot of them, too.
I think there needs to be more of the teen victims of texting accidents speaking up, in televised spots, and in high school assemblies. Teens will give them cred no one else can get.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Small government conservative essentially argues for more far-reaching and intrusive government regulation of personal behavior ... ya just gots to luv it ... lol ...