Test out the Motorola Skip

F

franksummer

Everyone has a cell phone password, and cell phone companies have been striving to come up with new and improved ways to make protecting your phone easier. It started with actual passwords and is now to the point where you draw a pattern with dots. What if you didn’t have to type anything at all? That would be the best option, but then anyone could get in. What we need is a way to access our phones without the hassle of passwords and with the security a password brings.That is exactly what Motorola did for you.

What is it?

In just a few days, the new Moto X will be released. Though this is a spiffy phone all on its own, and having a custom-built phone is always the best option, there is something else you will find kind of fun with these phones. The Motorola Skip accessory will be released with the phone. Though it costs about $20, according to droid-life.com, it will be given for free with all new phone purchases.

This little accessory is a magnetic chip that will unlock your phone. All you have to do is touch your phone to it, and you have access to everything! Motorola is trying to make it easy on you and take one more step out of your day. The chip can be found in a little band you can wear on your pocket or in stickers that you can stick to your desk, according to droid-life.com. You can connect to as many devices as possible, making it great to have one at home, one at work, one in your pocket, and more. You can also disconnect from your phone whenever you want in case you lose the chip or sticker.

The biggest problem

The biggest problem with getting this neat little accessory is access, according to ARSTechnica. Anyone who gets a hold of your chip will end up having access to your phone. Though people use passwords on their phones to keep away the prying eyes of everyday thieves, many people also use it to keep siblings, roommates, spouses, and children out of their phone. It would be very easy for someone living with you to grab and use the Moto X and Motorola Skip together. Even if your loved ones don’t do it, someone else at work could easily grab your phone and unlock it with the sticker on your desk.

Though there are definitely some security concerns associated with the Motorola Skip, you should try it out if you aren’t too worried about it!

{SPAM LINK REMOVED - Turtle}

Sources: Quick Look: Motorola Skip Accessory for the Moto X ? Droid Life
Motorola Skip: Password security without the hassle (key restrictions apply) | Ars Technica

Last edited by a moderator:

paullud

Veteran Expediter
It sounds like a bad idea mixed with a waste of time.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh thank god, that half second to draw the pattern on the phone has taken too much out of my day for too long. Joking aside, there will be a lot of people who can't find their whatever it is and will have a cute paperweight that resembles a phone.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Better than that, the phone will be "searching" all the time .. and it will be reporting it's position to many devices looking for it. Wal-Mart will now know if you're looking at vanilla or strawberry ice cream!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Better than that, the phone will be "searching" all the time .. and it will be reporting it's position to many devices looking for it. Wal-Mart will now know if you're looking at vanilla or strawberry ice cream!

WHEW! I am safe then. I only buy "Butter Pecan" or "Cookies and Cream".

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never lock my phone just not worth it to me.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
I never lock my phone just not worth it to me.

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.
If all you have is your Fisher Price phone, maybe it doesn't matter. For the rest of us, it could be a problem. I forget the court that ruled this, but if your phone has no password, the government didn't consider it private and it can be searched at-will. If you password protect it, you then have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

WWATD? What would Andy Taylor do?