TEAMS

FREE TO FAIL

Seasoned Expediter
just wanted to ask what is a fair and equitable split if i wanted to add a co-driver. I want to be fair not rip someone off, with me paying all expenses. Also as a side note looking for a fellow cranky old ##### to laugh at the world from behind the wheel.:)

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
From personal experience, DO NOT split the fuel. When tax time comes around, it's hard split reciepts.

If a co-driver wants to be involved in fuel, either give it to him, or pay both drivers 60-65%+FSC and take fuel out, then split the remainder.

Easiest way tho... 20%

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
when i had multiple trucks,i used 20 20 20+ fuel surcharge
each driver getting 20% before fuel,and truck gettin 20 + fuel.at end of week if there was money left in truck account,and there always was,drivers would split the ballance,it worked as a bonus for saving fuel

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
Night,
That's a good way to pay for the fuel and still encourage the driver's to be frugal even thought it's not coming out of thier pocket. I wouldv'e never thought of that. That's why I love this site.

themagicoen

Expert Expediter
When I drove I just split the net income after expenses, paid us both out of my company I had set up. Company takes all deductions, tax breaks, etc. Now I'll never say what we got was what the company said they paid us...

whitey1

Seasoned Expediter
You could also use use a cents per mile, i.e. 25 cents per mile as a start and adjust accordingly.
Pretty simple system depending on who you drive with.
1000 miles =$250. A 3000 mile week =$750 for the co, with the lead assuming all other responsibilities.
There have been more than one week I wished I were the co driver.

Packy

Seasoned Expediter
If your the truck owner, look at giving your co driver 20% of the revenue for the week. This seems to be a fair amount when you have two people in the truck.

FedEx Custom Critical
Fleet Owner & Operator
D Units

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
If you are a LLc treat you and the co driver as employees for your compampny ..60/40 or whatever percentage the company gets and you (owner) and codriver get the other split ..your company (you) gets the expenses paid for and you and the driver split the salary so technically youget the companys slit plus whatever your split of drivers salary is so as the other post stated it would be about 20% plus the fuel is all yours to write off on taxes.