team pay- poor mileage compensation

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Don't know how much you use your reefer but you may see a mileage increase if you have a dedicated tank for the reefer and apu. Jes might make the mileage sweet enough to make em smile again. Ya never know bout folks tho!

You know that's too much for many to figure out.

It may mess up the symmetric look that they worked so hard to achieve for the company's image. Those stripes and paint job may not look as pretty if there is another tank stuck on the side of the truck.

You can't really determine your mileage with an apu and a reefer because they consume fuel at different rates with different loads.

And let's not forget the tax money you save - every dollar helps.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I have had my fuel tax be as high as 300 bucks a quarter,by just buying in the cheap states

In the grand scheme of things, 1200 buks a year, more or less, in this business should not be a show stopper or cause undue distress for owner or driver l"if"e they are making what they should be in the first place. Granted, if they'd do the due vigilance and fuel where they should it simply would be a mute issue.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
with the ifta plan,when you over buy in any state the over tax is suppose to pass on to the rest of the states.If the state you are over buying in has a cheap tax structuire,even though you over paid the tax for the amount of miles,there may not be enought o pass around.If you look at the tax for each state,subtract it from the pump price,you may find a higher priced state is actually cheaper to buy your fuel in.To mkae things more confusing,there are a few states that have a ton mile tax,which has nothing to do with the fuel purchases

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
with the ifta plan,when you over buy in any state the over tax is suppose to pass on to the rest of the states.If the state you are over buying in has a cheap tax structuire,even though you over paid the tax for the amount of miles,there may not be enought o pass around.If you look at the tax for each state,subtract it from the pump price,you may find a higher priced state is actually cheaper to buy your fuel in.To mkae things more confusing,there are a few states that have a ton mile tax,which has nothing to do with the fuel purchases

I am intimately familiar with IFTA. Seems to me the author has some issues with IFTA taxes. A bit of schooling for his drivers, or, direct them to the speel authored by Leo, may help them see the light. Bottom line tho, I certainly wouldn't screw up an owner/driver relationship over underpaid IFTA taxes "IF" the team is ANY good at all.

moose

Veteran Expediter
And let's not forget the tax money you save - every dollar helps.

and that's ,my friend ,is why at a 60/40 split contract ,when the drivers are responsible for fuel cost ,the saving and expenses relating to buying fuel wisely - should be pass on to the drivers .
after all ,if an owner is only looking for steering wheel holders ,he can always choose to go the 40/60 split contract.

a good example is New Mexico and Oregon. only a foll will travel those states without buying the needed tax fuel to offset the HWY used taxes. it can very easily make a good load a looser.

definitely not 'nickle and dime',at least not in a 'per load' case.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
but these guys are getting 65%,they are only getting 65% of the fsc,the other 35% is going towards the fuel taxes.As far as their bad fuel mileage,is it really the truck or is it bad driving habits.When they check the fuel mileage,are they sure the tanks are being filled the same evrey time,lots of variables when it comes to fuel mileage