Tandem Axles or NOT?????????

jdo1550

Seasoned Expediter
Hello! Hoping to get my question answered! I am looking to buy an expediting truck in the very near future. Would it be better to get a single axle truck with either a GVW of 33,000 or get a truck with a tandem axle?

ccrider

Seasoned Expediter
Well.... It all depends....

What gross to you plan on licensing for?

Are you looking at a class 7 or 8 truck?

Leaf or air-ride?

Solo or team?

New or used?

Factory or cut and splice?

Paper or plastic?

Lots of related stuff to consider.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
You did not mention the third option of adding a lift axle.

Tandem axles have several disadvantages. You will pay higher tolls. You will buy more tires over the life of the truck. Two drive axles require more maintenance and repair than one. And, they are not needed since expedited loads are light enough to be run with a single axle or lift axle, depending on truck configuration and your carrier's requirements.

With all that in mind, Diane and I spec'ed tandem drive axles when we built our truck, a CR-unit that will seldom if ever carry more than 5,000 lbs. We did it for one reason and one reason alone: driver comfort.

When we drove fleet owner trucks, two of them were Freightliner Century Class D-units with "twin screws." We drove other trucks that were nearly identical but for the single drive axle with lift axle set up. The difference in ride was PROFOUND. Having experienced the difference first-hand, there was no way we were going to build a truck with a single drive axle, and we went with twin screws instead.

If we had it to do over again, we would do the same thing.

JarHeadJon

Seasoned Expediter
Hello! Hoping to get my question answered! I am looking to buy an expediting truck in the very near future. Would it be better to get a single axle truck with either a GVW of 33,000 or get a truck with a tandem axle?

Wathca going to haul? The straight trucks that haul for my carrier have tag axles. No use in burning rubber on 8 when you only need 4 most of the time.

lobes1985

Seasoned Expediter
I would say get a single axle. Then after a year you can see if you need an extra axle and add a tag. That way you dont have to pay the excise tax for a truck above 33k. If I remember right its $12k dollars for the tax.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
if you buy the truck new and add a tag axle,you will be charged federal exice tax.If you add the tag afterr 6 months you will save the tax.as stated why burn 8 tires when 6 would do the trick

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I wouldn't leave home without the extra donuts. But it all depends on what you are going to do with the extra capacity. So, what are you going to do with the extra capacity?

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If you're going to go with a class 8 truck, I wouldn't even bother with it if it didn't at least have the "optional" third axle. You'll be lucky to haul more than 8500 if you don't.

That third axle is also nice when you're running in the snow, or even heavy rain. More stability. Just drop it.

AutonomyRex

Seasoned Expediter
If you're going to go with a class 8 truck, I wouldn't even bother with it if it didn't at least have the "optional" third axle. You'll be lucky to haul more than 8500 if you don't.

That third axle is also nice when you're running in the snow, or even heavy rain. More stability. Just drop it.

Good Point, Have that axle to drop in the snow and rain...better ride if needed, and heavy load when needed as well.... good points..

Run Safe

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
I would say get a single axle. Then after a year you can see if you need an extra axle and add a tag. That way you dont have to pay the excise tax for a truck above 33k. If I remember right its $12k dollars for the tax.

I have heard alot of people talk about this crazy tax, but I have a twin screw straight tagged at 52000 and a single screw straight tagged at 33000 and they both cost about the same to tag. I recently purchased a tractor trailer and when you tag over 56000 it cost about $500 for the heavy road tax for 1 year. Now that I own a twin screw straight and a single axle straight I would never buy another single axle. The twin screw averages about a mile MORE to the gallon than the single on every quarterly report over the past year I have had them and tire wear is great since you rarely haul heavy loads, but it leaves the option to haul heavy available. I can see the tolls being an expense if you have to pay for them, but the company I am with pays %100 of tolls so this has not been a factor for me. If you decide on a twin screw, single or single with a tag GET A CLASS 8, you will be sorry with a class 7.

lobes1985

Seasoned Expediter
I have heard alot of people talk about this crazy tax, but I have a twin screw straight tagged at 52000 and a single screw straight tagged at 33000 and they both cost about the same to tag. I recently purchased a tractor trailer and when you tag over 56000 it cost about $500 for the heavy road tax for 1 year. Now that I own a twin screw straight and a single axle straight I would never buy another single axle. The twin screw averages about a mile MORE to the gallon than the single on every quarterly report over the past year I have had them and tire wear is great since you rarely haul heavy loads, but it leaves the option to haul heavy available. I can see the tolls being an expense if you have to pay for them, but the company I am with pays %100 of tolls so this has not been a factor for me. If you decide on a twin screw, single or single with a tag GET A CLASS 8, you will be sorry with a class 7.

You dont pay the tax every year. It is a one time tax on new trucks over 33k pounds. If you bought the truck used you would not pay the tax.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I've got to disagree with you on this one Sunshine State Boy. I saw a similar statement like this when I first joined E.O. and didn't respond because I was a newbie and the poster wasn't. Also I'm just an ignorant van O/O. I should have challenged him then, but didn't, so now I'm picking on you. Nothing personal and I hope this doesn't have a negative impact our January meeting.

When you drop a 3rd axle you are reducing the weight on the single drive axle, thus reducing traction available to that drive axle because of the weight transfer. If the load weight requires the axle to be dropped, I personally would seriously consider the consequences of running with it up or down in snow and ice. Chances are in these conditions scales are closed. Ditch or legal?

Next time you get up north ask a Holland driver how they like a 3 axle tractor in the snow and ice with the 3rd axle being a tag vs. a twin screw or even a single axle.