tall load

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
I just recently had a run that when I went to the shipper found that their load was 18 plastic bins weighing 8300lbs. the bins were 45lx48wx3ft tall. loaded they were 2 high front to back with the last row1high. a dr unit refused the load after they found that the added insulation made it too wide. Once loaded there was maybe 1 inch space on sides and a foot left in the rear. Very tight load and really no way to load it differently. The load came to within 2 foot of the top of the box. My truck is a 2007 Freightliner m2-06 with a 84" bentz sleeper, 22'box. and a 300" wheelbase. once loaded and strapped we started out we did not leave the dock and the truck was listing left and right. The shipper said those plastic bins weigh 300 lbs ea. I am not sure but if the were it was severly overloaded being a single axle. We drove about a mile and I felt that the truck would easily tip. I called dispatch they had me return the load. My question is do you feel this was a overloaded situation or was the load too tall setting the center of gravity too high. the top of the load was 10' from the ground and almost half from 7' to 10' high.
I was also wondering if a rear stabilizer bar would help correct this. I am also considering a pusher axle will that make the truck more stable. We have had no problems with lower loads even one that weighed 9000lbs.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If the load were actually 8300# and loaded floor to top, I'd drive more careful, but not concerned it would tip. Closer to 10,000# I'd get a little worried, as I have one axle also. If it really felt unstable, I'd say it was either overweight or they loaded the lighter freight on the bottom. Besides the tipping, did it feel heavy?

Yes... an extra axle would've given you more stability.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Kevin_Sue

Seasoned Expediter
Only drove about a mile and did not exceed 20 mph. all bins the same and I also think the same weight. At first I thought I blew out both front tires at loading dock. Did not go 100 feet.
Seemed to be looking at ground. Got out of truck and truck seemed level. It has air ride. Air suspension gage about 60-65 psi. just seemed to sway badly. I took it to a Freightliner dealer and the tech said everything looked good but did reccomend a rear sway bar. This truck has only 4000 miles on it. one week in service. I am new to this but I can tell if something seemed wrong and this did. I was told that maybe the load was too tall or to heavy. I was also told that I was not used to the sway of an air ride suspension. I find it hard to believe that the feeling I felt was normal and that any driver could get used to a truck swaying side 2 side like that would at best make you sea sick and worst it felt like it would easly roll over around a freeway on ramp even below posted speed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
As I read this, two items jump out at me that inspire feelings of pride. I am proud of you, Kevin_Sue. While being new, you had the good sense to call dispatch and inform them of your problem. I am also proud of FedEx dispatch for telling you to return the load.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I only have limited experience with swaybars on smaller vehicles - dunno if they are quite the same on larger vehicles or not (you would think so - but hey - who knows ?) - so take whatever I have to say with a grain of salt.

I installed a heavier duty rear anti-sway bar on my Sprinter, replacing the stock one about a month or so ago because the body roll was horrible - and it felt like it could at some point become potentially dangerous. With weight on or in heavy winds (high profile vehicle, relatively speaking) it felt like you were out on the high seas in the good ship Lollipop.

If ya were just hauling lightweight parcels and no real weight it probably wouldn't be that big a deal.

But where you have significant weight - particularly the potential of having weight up high where the vehicles center of gravity has raised substantially, I would think that having an adequate anti-sway bar would be a must.

For some info on exactly how anti-sway bars work try this like at answers.com:

http://www.answers.com/topic/anti-sway-bar

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
You did right in returning the load. Rufusing it has nothing to do with your inability as a driver. You saw an unsafe situation, and you made a right choice. No run is worth running dangerous. Yes, there are things you can do to make your truck more stable, but it does sound like the load was not what it was said to be.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
if you have air drive and an air ride steer axle it will sway quite a bit. i drove a freightliner with an air ride steer axle and it swayed bad especially in curves.