Canada Talking to a Canadian trucker

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know if its just a rumor among our neighbors to the north but I was talking to this guy in at a flying j in Lansing and word on the Canadian rumor mill is that they want to make semi tractor and trailers not legal in certain parts of Canada to protect the Canadian swamp land. Hmmm if that is the case its going to suck for the off road truckers who drive on frozen lakes and streams. Who knows their might be more loads available for straight trucks.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Diane and I have a policy already against driving our trucks in swamp land. Fuel economy delcines and the tow bills are high.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Drive a truck in a swamp? Kinda goofy to start with.

I wonder if he was talking about the new treaty on Boreal Forest protection?

The Treaty signed by the U.S., Canada and Mexico protects 50 million acres of boreal forest from all development. The treaty was developed by Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, Waterfowl USA, U.S. Fish and Wildlife and their Canadian counterparts.

It allows for use of the vast majority of the region protecting only parts. NONE of the protected areas are being used today. There still millions of acres available for use. NONE of the protected land was private property.

bigshow345

Seasoned Expediter
When I talked to this Canadian trucker he was telling me that the further north you go into Canada there are many Indian outposts and villages that in the summer time are cut off by streams and lakes. The only way to get to them is during the winter when the streams and lakes and swamps are frozen. Because if you drove a big rig semi through swamp land in the summer it would get stuck. In the winter time its solid because of the permafrost.

Ohhh and no I was not offered swamp land

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't think it is happening as it was described. Isn't this the stuff they have on the real Ice Road Trucker's show?

In the winter time its solid because of the permafrost.

You know in the winter, the water freezes and the lakes and rivers are used as roads. Permafrost is what it is, permafrost and doesn't always thaw.

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
My first thought was B**l S**t however, in Ontario it wouldn't surprise me. Bureaucrats located in Toronto do try and pass regulations for conditions in far northern Ontario that they do not understand.
There is no type of "Canada" rulings or regulations as I have pointed out here in the past.
As an example, A Team just went to Saskatchewan even without a Speed Limiter on the truck. That is a requirement in Ontario not the entire country of Canada.
There are many isolated communities in northern parts of the Canadian provinces that do get resupplied in winter when everything freezes and trucks can get onto frozen rivers.
Due to Climate Change the window for these types of operations is getting smaller. The rivers freeze later and thaw earlier.
Ice Road Truckers did depict the resupply of diamond mines in the Northwest Territories.
The Canada that most expediters see, Ontario and Quebec, is nothing like that. We drive on roads and have cities just like south of the border.

Rob Archer.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My first thought was B**l S**t however,
Rob Archer.

Yeah I thought the same thing. "Talking with a CanadianTrucker", don't you all know that, you do not talk to a Canadian trucker...You listen to a Canadian trucker talk.....

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Due to Climate Change the window for these types of operations is getting smaller. The rivers freeze later and thaw earlier.

That climate change you mention, which is 100% cyclical, is now changing back the other direction. Like in the early-mid '70s, the talk now is of another mini-ice age. Even if that occurs and the winters go back to being longer again, it wouldn't really be a mini-ice age, merely a continuation of the ice age we've been in for thousands of years. As long as there is ice at the poles and glacial activity on the continents, which we have, we are in an ice age, ridiculous, ignorant, and histrionic claims of anthropogenic global warming notwithstanding.

Now, if parts of the Great White North go back to being tropical, which they were for much of earth's history, and which may well be their natural state, then perhaps it's time to discuss worrisome climate change.