TA Discount

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have never really fueled at the TA but now it is about our only fuel stop due to the HUGE discounts we are receiving. You can call ahead to the TA's using the 800 number, you then will give them the 4 digit number of the TA you are interested in and listen to the quotes given.
We have usually just fueled at the TA's on our route when we need fuel, but yesterday we called two TA's on our route and found out the furthest TA had our best discount by over twenty cents.

If you missed the information on the TA's discounts and the code for each station check back through the weekly e-mails and you will find this information or call in to your CC.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
TA, Whitsett ,NC $4.319 posted price $3.858 paid

$0.461 per gallon saved

ATeam

Retired Expediter
This changes things in a big way. That amount of savings in fuel cost makes a real and significant difference in our cost per mile to run the truck. It means we can haul lower-paying (not cheap) freight at still-profitable levels. If these discounts hold, our load acceptance and run-count numbers will climb. :)

Last edited:

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Our fuel cost percentage per mile just keeps dropping! Not only are we doing well with our fuel mileage by slowing down we are now paying even less for fuel. When you take into consideration our FSC is figured on the national average of 4.50 a gallon this week and we are only paying around 4.00 to 4.20 a gallon we are doing very well and taking the savings to the bank.

Phil is right these savings translates into a lower cost per mile to run which then does allow us to accept a slightly lower rate per mile for a load.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Below is a fuel cost per mile chart. With it, you can calculate the difference fuel price and fuel-economy changes make.

Say fuel costs $4.50 per gallon and your straight truck averages 9 miles per gallon. On the chart, find where the $4.50 row intersects with the 9 MPG column, and you will see that fuel adds $0.50 per mile to your per-mile operating costs.

Now say you can save $0.40 per gallon through the fuel discount program discussed in this thread. $4.50 per gallon becomes $4.10 per gallon, and $0.50 per mile for fuel becomes $0.46.

Will $0.04 per mile make a difference in a load-acceptance decision? For some, it may. For others it may not. For Diane and me, it may. We tend to be firm in pricing our services. On a borderline load, the $0.04 per mile may very well make a difference and thus have a positive effect on our acceptance numbers.

Now, let's take a look at the chart in a different way. Say fuel is selling for $4.50 per gallon and instead of getting 9 MPG, your truck gets 10 MPG. $0.50 per mile for fuel becomes $0.45.

Is it possible to increase your MPG by 1 without changing trucks? For some it is, yes. Diane and I did it by changing our driving habits and adding Airtabs to the truck.

So, by combining our carrier-sponsored fuel discount with improvements we made in our truck's MPG, we have reduced our operating costs by about $0.09 per mile (provided the discount program holds, and there is no telling if it will).

The money saved can be leveraged to further reduce one's operating costs. For example, using the saved money to more-quicly pay down your truck debt will reduce the interest expense of your truck loan.

$0.04 here and $0.05 there may not seem like much day by day. But over a year's time, it adds up. If you drive 120,000 miles a year, $0.09 a mile translates into $10,800.

At the end of the year, some people will decide to get out of the business because they can't seem to make it work, no matter what they do. Others will celebrate the additonal $10,000 they managed to tuck away.

What's the difference? Part of it is the people who manage to tuck money away pay attention to numbers like these and take action to bring the money home.

fuel_cost_per_mile.jpg

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Good post and great chart! It shocks me at the number of people out here running that don't know what it cost to run their truck per mile. I have talked to people and they say "oh, we average $3.00 a mile"...and I usually reply, "wow, is that INCLUDING dead head?" Then I hear, "No..what do you mean?"

On more than one occasion, I have watched my spouse try to explain to people that you have to consider all miles when calculating ANY figures.... I have given this practice up. I usually attempt to change the subject or make a quick exit.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
For those of you at FCC who do not have the TA Discount program fact sheet call into your CC or to Contractor Relations and have them email you or fax you a copy of the sheet.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm also fueling only at T/A. The savings are far too good to pass up. I will definitely be asking for the secret handshake book at orientation.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Don't forget your secret de-coder ring. Having one is often the only way you can de-cypher FedEx-EZZE Layoutshooter

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Had one of those when I was about 7 or 8 but don't remember from where and no clue what happened to it. I'll have to look for the official one.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Ive been useing TA for weeks,even before i knew about the discount.Was funny,at end of everyweek when I checked my balance on my T check card,was always higher than suppose to be.After getting the TA notice on discount finally found out why.Last week my total fuel bill was less than the FSC that i was paid.Is that the same as running with 0 fuel cost?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
For those of you who do not have or have lost the TA Discount Sheet with the location numbers you can get the TA 2008 Directory. The 2008 directory has a small blue number to the right of the town the TA in located in. Example *6224 is the Prescott AR location number. When you call the 800 number and the recording asks for the location number this is the number you need.
We use the book to call ahead and check the discounts at different TA's. It is amazing that one town apart can cause the discount to be .20 cents different and changing states can even make the discount be better.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just remember that the fuel tax credit can make that better price in the next state over a worse cost than the current state. It's the cost that matters, not the price, for IFTA regulated trucks that is.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Good Point Leo all things considered though the TA discounts sure are treating us well.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We too like the TA discount, I just wish that the TA's were clean and modern. They have become some of the dirtiest places I have been in. We are at the TA east of Phoenix now, what a total dump. Walked in early this morning just after the cleaning crew left and it was still disgusting. Can't wait to see what wonders await us in the shower rooms. Layoutshooter

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
We too like the TA discount, I just wish that the TA's were clean and modern. They have become some of the dirtiest places I have been in. We are at the TA east of Phoenix now, what a total dump. Walked in early this morning just after the cleaning crew left and it was still disgusting. Can't wait to see what wonders await us in the shower rooms. Layoutshooter

I put a shower in my truck for about $250. Now I have a free hot shower anywhere, without spending $20 of $30 for fuel to drive to a truck stop, wait in line and lug my clothes etc to the shower... and use a bottle of mouth was to disinfect afterwards.

Check out my son taking his new bride for a flight in our ppc.
YouTube - Newly Weds Flying

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Has anyone in a van ever got the discount? Do you have to scan the card at the pump to get the discount? Since I always fuel at the auto island diesel pump, those pumps don't take the Tchek card, so I use my debit card or go pay cash inside.

I did check one place last week, and the clerk told me you had to use the truck lanes to use Tchek.

Dale

tblount

Seasoned Expediter
I got fuel at ta today for $2.53 per gallon... posted cash price was $3.17... saved $65 on the fillup.. It doesn't show on the recipt but when I called t-check and asked how much I was charged I was delighted. You don't have to call ahead anywhere... just go to TA and use your card. They have a magazine with a list of locations by state. I wish I had been using this all along... would have saved a LOT..... probably over $1,000 in the last 3 months.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I started tracking our discount at the TA over cash price and we have saved 431.05 for the month of October with an average savings of .36 each fill up.

I have found that for us it is easier to keep track of our balances on the t-chek web site. I can pull the truck forward while Bob gets our receipt and the amount we have paid has posted and also the discount we just received and total we have paid for our fuel.

Since I check our balance on line after every fill up I was able to catch that at a TA in Georgia we did not get any discount. I let our CR know and the next day I received an email from t-chek letting me know how much our account had been credited. This site was supposed to give a discount and an error occurred, since I immediately was able to let our CR know the problem was resolved.