T1000 maybe 3rd time is the charm

savage308

Active Expediter
I would think the reefer unit would receive more air flow mounted on the top (behind the sleeper) than under the box. Almost in the same position that trailer units are located on the big trucks, and most of them seem to do ok. :)

Yes but they have more room between the back of the bunk and the front of the condenser. They like the truck unit may do OK, but they are not going to cool to full capacity because they cannot transfer the heat from the condenser as effectively. Simple physics here people. Fresh clean air across a coil is better than dirty hot air.

jimby82

Veteran Expediter
Yes but they have more room between the back of the bunk and the front of the condenser. They like the truck unit may do OK, but they are not going to cool to full capacity because they cannot transfer the heat from the condenser as effectively. Simple physics here people. Fresh clean air across a coil is better than dirty hot air.

On our belly mounted unit, there is nothing clean or cool about the air flowing across the face of our Carrier unit. :)

Ultraman

Active Expediter
I would think the reefer unit would receive more air flow mounted on the top (behind the sleeper) than under the box. Almost in the same position that trailer units are located on the big trucks, and most of them seem to do ok. :)

Trailer units don't have a rooftop air conditioner blowing hot air from there condenser into the grill of the reefer unit though.

cumminsfan

Active Expediter
dsc02498.jpg
From looking on the stoops web site the notch in the roof has the bunk a/c unit mounted in it. This looks like it would not only restrict the air going to the condenser, but also when the a/c is running the hot air from it will be directed at the condenser as well reducing performance. I think i will pass on being one of TK/stoops test bunnies!

Ultraman

Active Expediter
There was much more thought put into the latest design. The roof mold was designed and tested using a CAD program in conjunction with Freightliner. There is a notch down the center line of the roof that funnels air to the condenser. The higher roof also improves the aerodynamics of the truck along with fuel milage.

Phil as you are sure to remember the IOQ tests that are performed in Green are a static test (non moving). I am sure you also recall that this summer was a scorcher. Our TK unit pulled down to -20c (-4F) in under 3.5 hrs with an ambient of 85F and a heat soaked box. In the past week we did a real world -20C run where we preconditioned the box before picking up. The doors were open for about a half hr at the pick up while loading and securing . We closed the doors started the unit and were back in range in under 15 min. This was at noon with an ambient in the mid 90's.

Chance, FDCC accounts for the extreems by flipping the order of the tests depending on the season. In the summer months they start with the -20 pulldown where as in the winter months they begin with the 20c (72F). I cant even begin to imagine the logistical nightmare of doing remote testing in Laredo. The IOQ tests aren't a real world representation of doing a Tval load. What it shows is the thermo mapping of the box while in pulldown and while leveled out , it also tests the performance of the unit through the whole process. On an actual Tval load the box would be preconditioned prior to pick up.

As I mentioned above the roof was redesigned to improve aerodynamics and fuel milage. Any improvement in style and sight lines was a by-product of the redesign.

The T1000 condenser is located at the top of the front grill opening right in line with the notch in the top of the roof. There is actually enough room in front of the unit to stand while checking the oil or working on the unit. One other difference between the T1000 and our old Carrier is the top panel, on the TK it is a wire screen vs the solid panel on the Carrier. To my way of thinking the TK allows for easier air flow out after the air is drawn over the condenser and radiator.

This year has been rough on all units new and old. Since hitting the road we have hauled many temp assure and Tval loads of varried set pionts, to date we have had no issues.

Should have had Carrier and TK get involved with it.

Ultraman

Active Expediter
It almost appears as if the notch to funnel air to the condenser is taken up with the rooftop a/c unit. I guess they forgot to say which condenser was getting the air funneled to it. Well, the A/C should work well.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Let's not forget, gentlemen, the people who are driving these trucks report that their reefers are working. The issues reported early in this thread had nothing to do with air flow.