T-Val is Thermoking only now?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't have any D at the Fed w/o a liftgate.
Liftgate pay is poor. Getting liftgate loads make up for the inferior pay.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter

Ok. When I bought this truck I was looking at 2 other trucks, one with tandem axles and the other with a lift gate. The recruiter said the tandem axle would make more revenue over the liftgate. But I ended up with a single axle no liftgate truck. I guess I just assumed the liftgate wasn't needed rather than second on the list to a tandem axle.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Use our liftgate almost as much as we do our reefer

It is official, in black and white about no Carrier. Got a letter in the mail. They say they are working with Carrier to resolve issues.

jamom123

Expert Expediter

Would it be beneficial to have a liftgate put on a single axle truck or would the extra weight hurt your opportunities?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Would it be beneficial to have a liftgate put on a single axle truck or would the extra weight hurt your opportunities?

We chose not to put one on this truck and one of the main reasons was weight. We max out at 10,000lbs cargo and many times come right up to that. I'm sure if we go much bellow that we will get kicked down to c-unit status.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We chose not to put one on this truck and one of the main reasons was weight. We max out at 10,000lbs cargo and many times come right up to that. I'm sure if we go much bellow that we will get kicked down to c-unit status.

I seldom go over 5000LBS and our norm is closer to 1500

jamom123

Expert Expediter
My hauling capacity is a little bit over 14,000 pounds but like Layoutshooter said most loads aren't near that. Anyone know how much weight a liftgate adds, and liftgate prices. Thanks.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My hauling capacity is a little bit over 14,000 pounds but like Layoutshooter said most loads aren't near that. Anyone know how much weight a liftgate adds, and liftgate prices. Thanks.

What's your truck weigh empty ?

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Well hmm the Thermo kings Better 4 real hmm. One you got to shut the reefer off to change from centigrade to Fahrenheit 2. the unites in 100 degree heat cant pull a -30 as fast as a Carrier. OR hold it tight for that matter. I'm Proof of that when My Carrier I pulled beat out Pegasus in CA for a Load as I hit the -30 way before there double Thermo Kings super Reefer did. 4 Real. BTW the Thermo Kings double never even made -23 in 100F heat. What else well my Uncles All ran Carriers and Thermo Kings and they Ran them and worked on them Guess who they prefer U guessed it Carriers. Why well what U think. Temp. Carriers may be Expensive in parts but they run like Champs. Ill put A carrier Ice Cream Reefer up against any Super double King you got and Leave it crying. The 210 + 310+ and the big 400+ lots of Hoop Ha over nothing. Proof is in the Pudding for Carrier and what happened in CA against Pegasus. That Reefer was a Carrier and it was on a Great Dane Trailer. Prove to me a thermo Kings is all that much better than a carrier. Want to know the Truth they are not. By the way just 4 the record The United States Navy ships as well as the Army Transports and the USNS Merchant Marines Ships AC unites and REEFER Unites are YORKS and Carriers Not Thermo Kings. Something to think about Seriously! Scooters & Skate Boards NO Bentley's or BMW's HERE. Was that good? Sure it WAS YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• hDF3FBC6ECCC.jpg
    hDF3FBC6ECCC.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 212
  • jumpyXSS.jpg
    jumpyXSS.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 217
  • Jumpy.jpg
    Jumpy.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 207

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
2 months ago I asked the ladies in TVAL if there was any mandate about mounting/running TK or Carrier units on new or existing straight trucks. They laughed. Said, yes, they had heard the rumors too. They said there is no truth to the rumor. It is up to the owner entirely. This was from Brenda and Dawn. Recruiters can be liars. Make them show you the mandate in writing in the lease contract......it isn't there.

As for preference.....the Carriers use some outdated design and hardware in their units. The TK units are very intelligently put together....but early on, they had their share of problems about 2 years ago. As for comparisons, Carrier still uses brushed DC fans in the evaporator. Brushless DC fans have been out there since the early '80s, very reliable and powerful and durable. TK uses brushless, Carrier still does not on all units. Carrier uses a heavy, wonky, empty motor housing just to connect fan v-belts to the fan for the condenser. TK doesn't. TK pays attention to the routing of cooling air in the evaporator unit (the heart of the unit's ability to remove hot air from the box) while Carrier carelessly does not. TK uses a microprocessor that teaches itself how to keep setpoint based on changing outside air temps and as your load changes.....Carrier uses an old, obselete, preset system. Just some of the differences I came across. I drive a Carrier; reliable if you know how they operate and watch the technicians like a hawk when the units are being PMd. Also, mine is a belly mount---I made modifications to it that make it remove heat faster than nose mount units, but cleanliness is a huge issue...TK units have a great chance of working great.

In my previous life, I was a maintenance engineer and designed many chiller units, for chemical processes and heat treating automotive castings.

Hopefully Carrier will get the lead out of their engineering pants and upgrade their units soon....

Last edited:

Wolfie62

Seasoned Expediter
I have'nt seen that letter........could it be that the vast majority of reefers out there on older straight trucks are Carriers, and that the newer trucks, with NEWER reefer units, are holding up better......based on age?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I don't know a lot of the technical stuff.
Carrier does have brushless fans now on some units.

TK had problems two years ago. Also two weeks ago. And probably two days ago.

Rumors ? I have a letter from Green that said Carriers will no longer be accepted into the fleet, for now.
A friend complained that his TK has 8 degree temp swings.
My Carrier stays tight. Usually .5 degrees between probes. Never over 1 degree between probes once they've settled in.

TK may be better down the road. I'm not sure they are there yet.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I have'nt seen that letter........could it be that the vast majority of reefers out there on older straight trucks are Carriers, and that the newer trucks, with NEWER reefer units, are holding up better......based on age?

I think the big swing to TK began about two years ago.
I am under the impression that a 2 year old Carrier is still more dependable than a less than 2 year old TK.
Or only people that dislike their TKs talk to me .

Dr Phil

Rookie Expediter
All I can say is 4 trucks all new from Columbus. DR units with the Thermo King have either failed tval first time out, or in the case if the last one well it was never set up right at install. Failed to run more than 4 minutes while spitting out error codes.
Was told that they are moving so many new trucks out the door they do not have time to set them up properly. So what was a 3 day tval qualification now has turned into 2 and a half weeks.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using EO Forums mobile app