T&K Trucking

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Customer basis is fine if you have a staff to deal with it all also years ago there weren't the hundred of choices there are today the demand is there for fast results and prompt delivery as the business model for many manufactures is on demand as needed ,large assembly of auto has no desire to stock the thousands of part needed for more time than is immediate! Go ahead continue to make errors and pay us to bail you out!

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Customer basis is fine if you have a staff to deal with it all also years ago there weren't the hundred of choices there are today the demand is there for fast results and prompt delivery as the business model for many manufactures is on demand as needed ,large assembly of auto has no desire to stock the thousands of part needed for more time than is immediate! Go ahead continue to make errors and pay us to bail you out!

I did this back in the day before cell phones.....it was with beepers/pagers. Had no office staff either, except for my Mom (rip) who'd answer the home phone!
Expedite is not just about the JIT manufacturing. *The following are some of my examples of actual freight i delivered! It's that piece of freight the plane won't touch! 800lbs frozen KFC for a grand opening. The coal mine who dropped big money for that small box of tractor parts to keep that bulldozer operating! The skid of empty aluminum cans to rural South Carolina because again no proximity to a major airport.
You'd be surprised when shippers (now remember we're talking this was when Expedite was in its infancy stages) thought they're were shipping critical freight via air, it was actually trucked!

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Pose this question to CEO's on here, ask them if they don't have a customer base. John Elliot doesn't employ sales people around the country, nor does he spend time away from his family just to test wifi for the airlines. In addition to the industry trade groups he represents, he's traveling to get new customers.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Does it make real sense if a business doesn't have a customer base of its own?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
No. The pie is split up too many times relying on all brokered loads. Especially with the brokers that get their freight from the air freight movers - the Pilots and Cavaliers of the freight world. It's a good 30-50% that can make the difference in survival or doom for many carriers IMHO.

Tomtom

Active Expediter
It is funny how people who have never used Sylectus, or used it to any real level, that can't qualify feel it is a right. When reality is it is a marginal TMS at best and a good way for already connected carriers to share loads.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
It is funny how people who have never used Sylectus, or used it to any real level, that can't qualify feel it is a right. When reality is it is a marginal TMS at best and a good way for already connected carriers to share loads.

What? I'm not following your grammatical train here. Please explain a little more.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
What? I'm not following your grammatical train here. Please explain a little more.

There, their, They're - Nobody likes the grammar police.

From my perspective is you have people that hear about Sylectus and believe as a small carrier that can't find loads on ITS, 360, etc. that this is the end all to be all of expedite load boards.

Someone with a handful of trucks is going to have a hard time getting a return on Sylectus. But I am sure they don't realize that until after they join.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yes. It's far from just "a board".
And I'm living proof that 6 years of networking and conferences with other subscribers can help gain business.
We regularly get loads that we were not the cheapest bidder on. We prefer not to be the cheapest. But if these people didn't know me from Adam I'd nearly never get a load.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
Yes. It's far from just "a board".
And I'm living proof that 6 years of networking and conferences with other subscribers can help gain business.
We regularly get loads that we were not the cheapest bidder on. We prefer not to be the cheapest. But if these people didn't know me from Adam I'd nearly never get a load.

Amen Brother, we are fairly new and spend a good amount of money networking. With our recent growth and partnerships I am looking at spending about 5x on travel in the next 4-months compared to what my Sylectus bill is.

And to be fair to Sylectus. They tell people that they need to network and develop relationships to make it work.