Sylectus

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It is a transportation management system for motor carriers. Cost varies on size. Must be a carrier of a certain size and age to subscribe.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
They have different levels of the software. It is not a load board it is an integrated dispatch software. You can google it to see details.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Six out of every 10 companies that sign up with sylectus are out of business within the first six months. The software is great. It takes your dispatch operation from "cave man" to modern. Also, the more expensive software is great. It automates almost everhting that you do. If your drivers use boost phone tracking it will automatically update your drivers positions on loads. It makes it easier to share information and pass loads to your customers and carriers. It helps you do faster payroll and keeps accurate accounting records.

I am contemplating upping my level on Sylectus next year. There is also a network on Sylects where partner carriers share loads but it is going to take you at least six month to get the various carriers to sign you on as a partner carrier and another six months of bidding before you even see your first load. It takes a long time to build up trust within the network and that is what a lot of the smaller carriers do not understand when they sign up with Sylectus. I have been in business for a year now and I'm just making a living at it. I'm not blowing up like the next Load One, Bolt, or Panther. But these things take time. I hope this helps.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
If you are running your own authority, why the TriState logo in your signature? Just wondering?

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Sylectus is not a load board. It is a darn good dispatch system that happens to have a load board as one of its features, but it's not exactly a load board in the real sense. The load are all user posted.

We went up to Pro a month ago and so far it's been a good decision. It's not cheap, but when you compare it to other dispatch systems out there, you get a lot of bang for your buck. You can automate so much of your dispatch operations which frees up time for doing other things like sales and recruiting when you're not spending half your day taking check calls and giving information over the phone to drivers. Our dispatchers have loved it so far because they can spend more time actually trying to book more loads and less time doing updates and what not.

If you're a small carrier just getting on, there is the connect level that doesn't cost nearly as much, but mostly what you get there is access to the loads and not so many of the other features. I think you need at least ten trucks these days and you need to have been in business for a certain amount of time. It's worth looking into if you're serious about growing your company.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
10 now. But if I sign with Sylectus I will look for owner operators

If you're looking at adding owner operators, you might want to cultivate some other freight sources as well. it's easy to look at the sheer volume of freight being posted on there and think you're going to be set, but you really need to have a few others as well. A load gets posted on there because the company doesn't have one of their own trucks to cover it. Also, the amount of competitive bidding on those loads drives the price pretty low sometimes. Just getting on there doesn't automatically give you access to all that freight. You still have to cultivate relationships with the other carriers to make the most of it.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Six out of every 10 companies that sign up with sylectus are out of business within the first six months.

That is an interesting statistic that I have not heard before. When I covered the Sylectus conference last January, I did not ask network members or Sylectus staff about the failure rate. Can you say more about "six out of every 10 companies that sign up with sylectus are out of business withint the first six months?" I know that carriers try the service and let it go from time to time. The out of business piece is new info. Where did that stat come from?

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That is an interesting statistic that I have not heard before. When I covered the Sylectus conference last January, I did not ask network members or Sylectus staff about the failure rate. Can you say more about "six out of every 10 companies that sign up with sylectus are out of business withint the first six months?" I know that carriers try the service and let it go from time to time. The out of business piece is new info. Where did that stat come from?

Well, I guess I'm one of those 6 out of 10... using sylectus I had to close my business and get back on the road as o/o... 10 loads in 4 months...

Sent from my SCH-M828C using EO Forums

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As an O/O I like the Sylectus app on the phone. When you get to the pick up point hit arrived when you get loaded type in BOL# ,weight, and number of pieces and hit loaded when you get to drop off point hit arrived after unloaded type in the persons name eho sighned for it and hit unloaded. All the load info is sentover the phone and it tracks you via the phone anjd use the walkie talkie feature to complain I mean talk to the dispatcher

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Sylectus is a great TMS (Transportation Management System) but it does not suddenly give someone a bunch of freight and make them a carrier. It is one tool in a toolbox that needs to have many. Too many people join not understanding fully the product and what they have the thought that by getting the software they will get freight. It is simply a conduit to increase the efficiency of transactions. Relationships, service and sales get freight.

BigBadBill

Active Expediter
Guess we are in the 4 of 10 category. And while it hasn't been 6-months yet (I am watching the calendar because you have me a little worried now ;) ) on a good week we run over 10 loads from Sylectus and our slowest week has been 4-loads. But we are tractor only so we don't see as much freight. Nice thing about Sylectus for us is I feel we can broker more of our customers loads that I wouldn't touch in the past because I have a higher comfort level with the members. This alone has helped me grow my business. Next year our brokerage business will be as large, if not larger, as our trucking side.

We are moving to the Pro level as soon as we complete our move. Can't say it is the best dispatch/management system available but if you are working with other Sylectus members it saves a tone of time. And because we are getting ready to add 30-50 units by 2nd Qtr '13 we need to make sure the tools are in place to manage this.