Super singles

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Not talkin about your marital status the tires does anyone have them? how do you like them? Are they all their cracked up to be?

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
I have friends that love-em!

I personally don't think I'd like them except they look cool!, and I feel you're more at the mercy of
Bubba type tire repair/replacement places than with dual tires...just my opinion!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Ran them about five years. Liked them. Both trucks got great fuel econmoy. I like that they rode above the ruts of a rutted road

dogsbed

Seasoned Expediter
Have run them for over 600K miles. Better ride, better fuel mileage, never had a flat. Will not run anything else

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
We bought them in December, and put on in February. Instant increase of .8 MPG. Better ride was the side benefit.

All Michelin dealers are required to keep them in stock.

Money well spent, IMHO.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My last 300,000 miles on S/S's were on a class 8 straight.
I highly recommend them.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think they are a good option depending on where you run. Going out west or remote areas, I see a few issues with them. Trying to find one late night or on a weekend, certain areas can't get them right away or you have to wait on a Michelin dealer. Many are 8 to 5 only. We had a few road repairs last year and I ask about these and availabilty and having service trucks to change them seem to be challenge in certain areas.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
We will have to get the "mythbusters" on this.

The super singles have been around long enough that availability is not going to be a problem, so I'm thinking this myth will be "debunked".

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Having put about 500,000 miles on them I wouldn't have a problem on a single axle.
In all that time I had one tire problem. Came out of a hotel to find some road debris sticking thru a sidewall. Still had air. Drove to a TS on a Sunday morning and had a new tire put on.
If you had them on a dual axle you really aren't going to limp it in very far.
I would highly recommend a Tire Pressure Monitoring System.
A TPMS is a good idea even with regular duals.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
That would be a bad idea. Atleast on a dual wheel axle you can limp in on the other wheel/tire. If you have s/s on a single axle you arent going anywhere if you have flat.

How far did ya limp the last time a steer tire blew, Jake?

I believe there are tons of myths out there from the first generation of singles.

FWIW, Dave, Michelin's got an app for that. I think you'd be surprised at how widely available they are. Not sure who pays fuel in your operation, but in ours (1 truck for now), they pay for themselves between 6 and 7 months. We paid $2250 for the tires, and swapped even-up for rims/mount/balance for our dual rims and casings with about 10/32 remaining.

Ours is a single rear axle, with a liftable in front of the drive. We can load about 6k in the box without dropping the scond axle. They have smaller duals on them. When the wide singles wear down quite a way, we will move them to the lift able, and put new singles on the drive axle. Based on DD's posts, it may be a long wait. May end up doing it before that....just because I'm impatient.

Ours is a class 7 Sterling.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
How far did ya limp the last time a steer tire blew, Jake?

I believe there are tons of myths out there from the first generation of singles.

FWIW, Dave, Michelin's got an app for that. I think you'd be surprised at how widely available they are. Not sure who pays fuel in your operation, but in ours (1 truck for now), they pay for themselves between 6 and 7 months. We paid $2250 for the tires, and swapped even-up for rims/mount/balance for our dual rims and casings with about 10/32 remaining.

Ours is a single rear axle, with a liftable in front of the drive. We can load about 6k in the box without dropping the scond axle. They have smaller duals on them. When the wide singles wear down quite a way, we will move them to the lift able, and put new singles on the drive axle. Based on DD's posts, it may be a long wait. May end up doing it before that....just because I'm impatient.

Ours is a class 7 Sterling.

Never blown out a steer usaf. That is not what I'm saying here. If a steer blows your down but with split rears on a single axle you can limp it in. The company I used to work for had them on tractors and trailers and I had one blow on the tractor and it just taco my wheel.

You guys are doing it and it's fine if your happy with them and that's great I just wouldn't feel comfortable with the on a single axle.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Never blown out a steer usaf. That is not what I'm saying here. If a steer blows your down but with split rears on a single axle you can limp it in. The company I used to work for had them on tractors and trailers and I had one blow on the tractor and it just taco my wheel.

You guys are doing it and it's fine if your happy with them and that's great I just wouldn't feel comfortable with the on a single axle.

Mayfield Express

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well stated. I guess comfort level is a consideration I hadn't taken.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard on one of the trucking shows that trucks that are not designed to have supersingles sometimes have trouble with axles after a while. Has anyone else heard anything about this or had a problem with axles wearing funny after putting on these tires?

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
I heard on one of the trucking shows that trucks that are not designed to have supersingles sometimes have trouble with axles after a while. Has anyone else heard anything about this or had a problem with axles wearing funny after putting on these tires?

Just have to make sure you have the proper offset on your rims, Joe.