Super Buy!

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I've watched way too much Beverly hillbillies in my time lol.

I've seen a lot of old tv shows sitting and watching them with my grandpa

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dang skippy lol

What brand shotgun would you recommend for home defense? I can't decide between mossberg 500, Remington 870 or other

It don't matter, they all work. The 500 is more prone to rusting, but if it stays dry it's fine. It needs more protection from high humidity than the Remington. Both make home defense models.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Since I'm a lefty I prefer the 500 because of the tang safety, plus of you get a parkerized/nickel 500 or a 590A1 should take care of the rust

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
IMO no shotgun is a good home defense solution unless you have a single room in the house to retreat to and defend, allowing the bad guys the run of the house otherwise. They are large and unwieldy in the confined spaces of a home. They also aren't the miracle pull the trigger and solve the problem tool some expect.

On one of the Outdoor Channel shows, Guns and Gear or maybe Guns and Ammo TV, they did a segment on shotguns and the idea some people have that you just sort of point and pull the trigger. They set up 3 targets side by side with maybe 3 inches spacing. They removed the choke tube from the shotgun so it was wide open for full spread. From about 8 yards, which is a long way inside most houses, firing at the middle of the middle target they blew a big hole in the target. In 3 shots total they removed the center target. They had 2 pellet holes in the arm area of the target off the right shoulder of the center target. They had zero pellets in the target off the left shoulder.

Then the guy with the 4" SW revolver put 2 shots each into the targets faster than the shotgun guy could put 2 each. The revolver guy also didn't have any trouble with narrow hallways etc.. Shotguns are great and if the only choice was a shotgun or nothing I'd definitely take the shotgun. Given any choice I'd rather have my pistol or for someone with little experience and little desire to learn a good minimum 4" barrel length revolver.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
My fear with using a handgun is over penetration. I live in a subdivision where they houses are all well with in range going thru a couple exterior walls

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Frangible ammo. There are at least a couple makers. If you miss it will pretty much disintegrate by the time it hits the second layer of sheetrock. Don't use plain ball ammo.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That does look like a good price. I have to check what ammo I need and maybe order some.