Summertime

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
So was wondering the cv during summer time and your sitting and its a blistering 100+ do you sweat it out or idle or what?

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If you need to lose 50 pounds to get into your wedding dress, and are not a stroke candidate, yes.
Otherwise, plan on a generator and a porta a/c unit.
At least that's my plan. I've been piecing mine together as required.
Stayed with only small rechargeable devices at first. Charged by an inverter while running. Laptop & cell phn.
Added a FanTastic Fan in May of 2013 to aid in moving warm air thru. But that only works if it's not too warm. But it DOES help.
Then added a generator and heater before this winter to survive without motel rooms. Paid for itself quickly.
Then added a front cargo carrier to j
Keep from having to pull the genset out to sleep. Ran a heavy duty extension into my bunk area.
Then started hanging moving pads to decrease the heated area.
Then added a 20 degree sleeping bag.
Then added a 6 gallon aux fuel tank to greatly extend my genset run time.
NEXT will be the addition of a porta a/c unit that hopefully fits nicely in the area between my seats. I currently have an Ikea shelf unit there for tools, snacks, napkins, etc.

tknight

Veteran Expediter
If you need to lose 50 pounds to get into your wedding dress, and are not a stroke candidate, yes.
Otherwise, plan on a generator and a porta a/c unit.
At least that's my plan. I've been piecing mine together as required.
Stayed with only small rechargeable devices at first. Charged by an inverter while running. Laptop & cell phn.
Added a FanTastic Fan in May of 2013 to aid in moving warm air thru. But that only works if it's not too warm. But it DOES help.
Then added a generator and heater before this winter to survive without motel rooms. Paid for itself quickly.
Then added a front cargo carrier to j
Keep from having to pull the genset out to sleep. Ran a heavy duty extension into my bunk area.
Then started hanging moving pads to decrease the heated area.
Then added a 20 degree sleeping bag.
Then added a 6 gallon aux fuel tank to greatly extend my genset run time.
NEXT will be the addition of a porta a/c unit that hopefully fits nicely in the area between my seats. I currently have an Ikea shelf unit there for tools, snacks, napkins, etc.

Any room left for cargo?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
À membership at the Y might be helpful, if you can use it wherever you go, because they have swimming pools. Otherwise, there are movies, libraries, malls, and even local parks to spend most of the day [literally) chilling out. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using EO Forums mobile app

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Low profile roof air unit and generator and when it gets too hot all the places mentioned already plus maybe Walmart if a good laugh is needed.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
Low profile roof air unit and generator and when it gets too hot all the places mentioned already plus maybe Walmart if a good laugh is needed.

Isnt a Low pro ac unit more than an ESPAR? Its hard to think about being hot when Im cold lol

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Any room left for cargo?

Yep!! I get a 3-skid (48") load in here at least once a week. I mounted my bunk to the wall and it folds down. Everything I do WILL be 100% with "space utilization" in mind. Otherwise, I'd not get about 20-25% of the loads I get. I regularly bid on, and sometimes win, Sprinter loads. But I DON'T bid at CV rates. I'm not here to undercut anyone! That's why my 2013 loaded per-mile was $1.19187. That and my affinity for "shorties".

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I'm gonna be going the drink lots of water and have the windows down

That CAN work. In the summer of '12 I did that. I bought cases of water from Walmart and bought a lounge chair that stretches out. But that will NOT do 100% of the time. Be ready to get a few rooms when it gets hot.
CVs in Laredo, El Paso, Nogales & Dallas are convection ovens!
Heck, they are almost anywhere in the summer. Shade is soooo hard to find when you need it.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
À membership at the Y might be helpful, if you can use it wherever you go, because they have swimming pools. Otherwise, there are movies, libraries, malls, and even local parks to spend most of the day [literally) chilling out. ;)

Sent from my XT907 using EO Forums mobile app

I have seriously considered gym memberships before. It's just hard to imagine them, or The Y, having the coverage I'd want. I really do like staying close to the interstate. We all know how much time one can lose just getting TO the highway from "in town". But I had not thought or heard about The Y as an option. We could even get a family membership for Sally and the little tooters!! Will check. Thank you!!

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
That CAN work. In the summer of '12 I did that. I bought cases of water from Walmart and bought a lounge chair that stretches out. But that will NOT do 100% of the time. Be ready to get a few rooms when it gets hot.
CVs in Laredo, El Paso, Nogales & Dallas are convection ovens!
Heck, they are almost anywhere in the summer. Shade is soooo hard to find when you need it.

Last year on my first ever load I spent 3 days and 4 nights in canton Mississippi and it was awful. No bed, no money on me personally for a room and I didn't know to call dispatch to get dh'd out. No chair to sit in minus my driver or passenger seat. I more less lived at the McDonald's for that time period lol

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Last year on my first ever load I spent 3 days and 4 nights in canton Mississippi and it was awful. No bed, no money on me personally for a room and I didn't know to call dispatch to get dh'd out. No chair to sit in minus my driver or passenger seat. I more less lived at the McDonald's for that time period lol

Did you D/H out or did you get a load?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Southern MS has almost always sucked for me. I'm now adding/bidding with enough extra $ to get the heck out of there. Memphis, Birmingham, Vance, Mobile, etc. Wherever. But OUT of MS.

KickStarter6

Veteran Expediter
I finally drove home to tell ya the truth. I had(have) no idea what to do. To make matters worse my dad who owns the sprinter but doesn't drive was there too and he refused to let it run for cold air at night. I've been there twice since then, now after 12 hours not including sleep I go somewhere else. I have also gotten stuck in Dublin Virginia 3 time but I just drive down to I40 and went home

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just laugh when dispatch offers me that Nissan ...Canton load ....how much extra does it pay ? .....ummm I ll pass...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I just laugh when dispatch offers me that Nissan ...Canton load ....how much extra does it pay ? .....ummm I ll pass...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using EO Forums mobile app

Yeah, that's why I almost always lose those bids. Adding $150-$200 to a "competitive" bid is the quickest way to make sure you don't go to Canton!!
Well, almost always. It backfired several times on me. But the extra ~$175 came in handy to keep moving.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dispatch can't understand why I don't want to go there....LOL....we make the bigger rate so we can DH out of BFE places...LOL

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Yeah, it's like the border loads and deciding how long to stay. IMO, the expedite loads are mainly feeding the finished or assembled freight loads that come out TL or LTL usually. Still IMO, there will never be enough expedited coming OUT of Mexico to feed the trucks dropping all those loads at the border and waiting empty. NEVER.