Suggestion Box Thread

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ok John....been only a week and here's my first suggestion on how to run your company..*LOL*

so we are running down the road trying to get dispatch....call 1-800....then #2 option...and finally #3 option...

so much for hands free operation...and could be taken as texting by Barney Fife...In the interest of safety and convenience...

We need a direct dial number...:D

Ken aka OVM

fortwayne

Not a Member
.....OV, if you read the 'rule' it does not include "reading, selecting, or entering a telephone number … or voicemail retrieval codes into an electronic device for the purpose of initiating or receiving a phone call; inputting, selecting or reading information on a global positioning system or navigation system."

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
.....OV, if you read the 'rule' it does not include "reading, selecting, or entering a telephone number … or voicemail retrieval codes into an electronic device for the purpose of initiating or receiving a phone call; inputting, selecting or reading information on a global positioning system or navigation system."

Thanx..I read that after I posted this....always last to the dinner table I am...;)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
With cell phone laws changing in every state....I thought staying ahead of the curve would be good...Ole Barney Fife might have a different view and whack us with a ticket anyhow...

vans are NOT CMV's and not covered under FMSCA...so in essence we are breaking the law...

Last edited:

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
Unfortunately twice this week (and still counting :( ) I have had no runs.
My suggestion would be that someone calls the unfortunate one and lets them know that they have not been forgotten (even a msg over the Qualcom would lessen the despair :D)
You can definitely feel "Lost in Space" when you don't hear from anyone for 30 plus hours

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Unfortunately twice this week (and still counting :( ) I have had no runs.
My suggestion would be that someone calls the unfortunate one and lets them know that they have not been forgotten (even a msg over the Qualcom would lessen the despair :D)
You can definitely feel "Lost in Space" when you don't hear from anyone for 30 plus hours

I know of no other carrier that does such a thing...do you call once and awhile....

no one in the office appears to be reading the QC messages YET??

TonyG

Seasoned Expediter
I know of no other carrier that does such a thing...do you call once and awhile....

no one in the office appears to be reading the QC messages YET??

Thats my point, keep the driver in the loop, I dont want to feel like I am being a pest by calling every so often, this company is different than the others in so many ways, why follow what the others do. Its only a suggestion to keep the driver updated every so often ;)

And yes I call every shift after I havent had an offer for a long period of time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I talked with John about this..and he was organizing dispatch to read QC messages...since the influx of new O/O's the calls are really tieing them up....when a simple response to our QC requests would relieve the pressure.....BUT I see my messages go mostly unread all day....you can see they are unread in Fleetvision...
Even Jeremy cracked that we'll have to start using the QC more because of call volume...which I responded..Well then read the messages we send....
I think dispatch just needs to re adjust to the new volume of trucks out there...They do have a new dispatcher during peak times...

It just growing pains..they still do a great job...:D

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It is a bit of growing pains indeed. We met with our software provider yesterday to look at the qualcomm issue. They are going to work on a modification so that it is easier to see on the screens when the dispatchers have messages. Right now it is a tiny little icon next to the unit and it really doesn't stand out.

If you are sending messages and not getting a timely response, email me right away so I can follow up. Part of this is me staying on people to get them into the mindset that these need to be answered quickly.

[email protected]

I also have the software people looking at trying to create a dashboard that will show the managers how many unanswered messages are out there and the average time to answer and the time frame for the oldest unanswered message.

This will probably take a month or two, but we are addressing it and recognize the issue.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Agreed. We have about one hundred more units to install. I know that it is always harder when you are transitioning. We have units with system connected phones, qualcomms and the phone calls. So it pulls our people in a lot of directions. I think these modifications will give us the tools to better manage the communication flow.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Well sometimes things move faster than I had hoped for. Our software provider completed the first modifications to alert us about waiting satellite messages in the dispatch screens. This should speed up response times assuming it all works.

Let me know if anyone does not see it getting better.

Thanks!

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Hmmm..my wife handles all of the investment stuff, I have to ask her if this works into whatever it is she uses to lose money on now.....:D

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
John..We NEED the NLMI number to be dispatched with each and EVERY load...MOST shippers want to confirm pick up..and we have to call...it is an unnecessary call IF they would do it as a habit automatically...:)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
John..We NEED the NLMI number to be dispatched with each and EVERY load...MOST shippers want to confirm pick up..and we have to call...it is an unnecessary call IF they would do it as a habit automatically...:)

We should hopefully have this fixed going forward.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We should hopefully have this fixed going forward.

*LOL* that sounded so serious....I just mean we are calling and dispatch has to look it up and all...it takes their concentration away from other things...it is something that is avoidable..:)

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
Sorry, just trying to set up for party and take care of business, that's how I roll, lol.