Straight truck body height and width

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
What do you want to use it for? Are those interior or exterior dems? Door opening or inside dems?

I would like to use this truck for expediting. Inside width is 92 and the height 96. At the door 88 width and around 90 or 92 of height, I dont remember exact door height.

I figure most pallets are 42x48, but then auto parts skids are 48x48 or even 50x50...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's kind of small. That would have eliminated much of the freight we have carried over the years.

What carrier are you planning on signing on with?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I agree. We carry a lot of pallets that are 48x48 and have to be side by side. Also, we have carried quite a few things that having a 97" door height was required.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having said that, a lot would depend on what kind of freight. We were not able to handle 48X48 skids side by side. That is due to the fact that our insulated box has 4" of insulation compared to 3" like most others has. It has required us to get "creative" at times when loading but has never cost us a load.

The height you are quoting WOULD have cost us loads.

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
One more question guys. I'm looking for a manual transmission but there are hard to find in under 26,000 category.

Is auto OK? What do you think?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One more question guys. I'm looking for a manual transmission but there are hard to find in under 26,000 category.

Is auto OK? What do you think?

I have a 10SP autoshift in my truck. Does fine. It a 48K gross truck. Why do you want to limit your load capability with a light truck?

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
Buddy of mine ones told me, when he was driving automatic Ryder rental, truck had a problem climbing up hills in Pennsylvania.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Buddy of mine ones told me, when he was driving automatic Ryder rental, truck had a problem climbing up hills in Pennsylvania.

It may, I don't know. My truck has enough power, 450HP, to go anywhere. It has an engine brake as well. I can make it do just about anything I want it to do. PA is easy, except for coming down RT40 west bound into Uniontown off the "summit", but it did it without a problem. It's done, Donner Pass, the "Grapevine" and the ALCAN highway.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter

I used to run those Ryder and Penske trucks in my old job. Most are 260hp-300hp with a real automatic allison or similar tranny. They are made to be ran around town, not really for over the road work. They are geared to give you lots of take off power but they run hard to push you down the interstate at 65. That is why they don't climb hills worth a darn.

Also, most of those engines were designed to run 300,000-500,000 miles at most. Ryder and Penske sell them mostly to places that won't be putting many miles on them a year and they can last for years. In expediting you may burn one up pretty fast. There are a lot of people on these forums that have close to a million on similar trucks, but they were built as expediters, with proper gearing and suspension and the owners have taken great care of them. I know those Ryder and Penske trucks can take a lot of abuse in their life as rentals and leases.

Just some food for thought. Are you opposed to going to a 33,000lb truck? There's quite a few in the classifieds that are real purpose built expediters.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I drove a UHaul truck up I81 for a moving client back in 2004. An '88 International 26' with a 210-hp 7.3 non-turbo and a 5 speed. Between Pine Grove and Hazleton, the hills get a mite steep. This truck climbed them in third, engine screaming, at a breathtaking 28 mph. A three-year-old on a Big Wheel passed me on the right and flipped me the bird :p

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've seen a handful or 10 tt crawling up hills! It ain't purty

Yellows, Roadways, Dollar Signs, etc on 80 in PA in the 70's. Daycabs with Detroits, screaming up the hills at 15 or 20 mph, rolling coal like a choo choo train :eek: , and me in my Nova passing them at a then-illegal 64 mph like they were standing still...

Yes, I remember :)

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
Just placed a deposit on a truck !!!!! outside body height 109 and the width 102. This is gonna be my first truck. Wish me good luck.

Basic Info
Make:FRTL
Brake Type:Air
Color:Red
GVW:26000
Year:2009
VIN #:.....ADAP7981
Liftgate
Extended:No
Type:Tuck
Ramp:No
Side Gate:No
Engine
A/C:Yes
HP:280
Model:ISB'07 280/2600
Make:CUMM
Body
Height:109
Make:MORG
Model:GVSD109-26/102
Width:102
Floor Type:Wood
Plywood Lining:No
Rear Door:Roll
Translucent Roof:No
Wood Slats:Yes
Type:ALUMINUM VAN
Length:26
Chassis
Wheel Base:289
Reefer
Cold Plate:No
Transmission
Model:FS6406A
Speeds:6
Type:Manual
Make:FULL
Odometer
Miles:442321
Suspension
Type:AIR RIDE
Wheels
Aluminum Wheels:0
Wheel Type:Steel
Additional Features
Curb Side Door:No
E-Trac:Yes
Logistic Posts:No
Road Side Door:No
Seat Type:Bucket
CurtainSide Door:No
Belly Box:No

guido4475

Not a Member
Just placed a deposit on a truck !!!!! outside body height 109 and the width 102. This is gonna be my first truck. Wish me good luck.

Basic Info
Make:FRTL
Brake Type:Air
Color:Red
GVW:26000
Year:2009
VIN #:.....ADAP7981
Liftgate
Extended:No
Type:Tuck
Ramp:No
Side Gate:No
Engine
A/C:Yes
HP:280
Model:ISB'07 280/2600
Make:CUMM
Body
Height:109
Make:MORG
Model:GVSD109-26/102
Width:102
Floor Type:Wood
Plywood Lining:No
Rear Door:Roll
Translucent Roof:No
Wood Slats:Yes
Type:ALUMINUM VAN
Length:26
Chassis
Wheel Base:289
Reefer
Cold Plate:No
Transmission
Model:FS6406A
Speeds:6
Type:Manual
Make:FULL
Odometer
Miles:442321
Suspension
Type:AIR RIDE
Wheels
Aluminum Wheels:0
Wheel Type:Steel
Additional Features
Curb Side Door:No
E-Trac:Yes
Logistic Posts:No
Road Side Door:No
Seat Type:Bucket
CurtainSide Door:No
Belly Box:No

You did good it looks like. I am guessing you are going to be a local expeditor. I didn't see any sleeper specs on it, and being as how it has a 26' box on it, it would be a small sleeper if any, if it had one.I truly wish you the best of luck and success!

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
I have a 01 FL70 I bought almost 5-yrs ago,it is just about like yours except mine has the ISC 225 HP motor.It cam w/a 4.11 gear & changed it to 3.42,I mainly drive interstate & got tired of hearing the engine spin to 2400 to go 65,it now runs 1800 @ 65 & gets almost 3 more mpg with the gear change.

Good Luck!!

Polish_Drive

Rookie Expediter
You did good it looks like. I am guessing you are going to be a local expeditor. I didn't see any sleeper specs on it, and being as how it has a 26' box on it, it would be a small sleeper if any, if it had one.I truly wish you the best of luck and success!

THX.

Yeah, its one of those FRTL that have little sleeper build in the cab. I think its 38inch or so.