Str8 Trk Driver Here

JuanUnos

New Recruit
Driver
With my years of experience in st8 Trk driving (16)
I’ve weathered many storms (financial),
But I’ve never seen it so slow. I don’t really want to bring company name into this. I’ve worked for just about all the company’s. Clear MVR to boot.
But we’re dead. Business wise. We had a great year spring, summer, fall, but the gears of our business are coming to a hault. Week end 12/03 $2900 gross to truck
Week end 12/10. $2300 gross to truck
Week end 12/17. $960 gross to truck
With one load this week, 280 miles @ 1.77 a mile
Much lower than the this years rate.
I am aware of location and the seasonal shifts, but as a solo driver, not owner, we do the 60/40 split, I buy the fuel. This is, I believe my slowest December, slower even than 2008, considering load pay differencials over the era, and fuel price. Listening to the “trucker radio buzz” roadrunner stock crash, FedEx too, talk of a slow or weak recovery from this past fall in Jan-feb, anyone else sitting like me?
What’s your business been like?

Last edited:

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sorry to be blunt, but if you pull a 280 mile load for $1.77 per mile, I hope you stay slow.

JuanUnos

New Recruit
Driver
Well, I was searching for more of a community spirited response, not a drive by knock out.
Maybe someone who actually has an answer might respond, one who realizes that any encroachment, or jab, Just like a echo, always returns to the sender.
Always. We seek mature and wise people who know our business and want to assist each other. That’s the purpose of this site, and we tend to want to lead each other, and respect one another. Not kick one who may be down or discouraged because we’re maybe one up momentarily.

I am seeking a knowledgeable driver or owner who wants to let others know, how’s their business doing? I’m slow, wondering if it’s that way all over? Or is It just our company?

Seasons Greetings

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand totally.
I retired a few months ago.
Consider myself fairly knowledgeable. And generally helpful.
Haven’t heard of anyone being slow. And up until early September most I talked to were smiling due to currently better rates/demand.
I’m sorry if I offended you.
It’s just my opinion, that someone pulling a 280 mile load in a straight for $1.77 really isn’t good tor our side of the industry.

And that’s another thing we do on the site.
Speak our opinion.

JuanUnos

New Recruit
Driver
Nice thetory, but it doesn’t work on the week before Xmas and there are no other offers. I’m hungry and have mouths to feed and it’s the holidays. Think if all coffee everywhere was always the same price, it might get a little stale. If you stop the river from flowing you might run dry. So I’ll take what I can to survive. Making someone feel it look smal because they gotta survive, isn’t the answer. I’m older now, but still running against the wind. The subject matter of this thread is delicate, And folks may fear participating, as this site is eyeballed by all the companies and recruiters,
So, here the companies have some power. No one wants to be discovered, by their company, if the truth doesn’t look good. Hmm, I guess they’ll not have a food critic column, as we all eat at truck stops !

Thanks for the response, but here we gotta stay
Pragmatic as folks tend to want to chew others up,
Or beat up on one another. Why is that become so normal?

I’ve hauled a lot of the Best paying loads this year, of my career making it seem like we finally made it, Drivers are actually getting their just reward. But things have changed and here we may never get a real honest response as some may fear the eyes of Texas upon them. I know I do, And the talk around dodge is not good, about January’s economy. Remember Alan Greenspan said on cnn this week “take cover”, now that’s a little scary. So yea, I’m concerned. I was supposed to be rich by now,
But something went awry!

Reactions: brokcanadian

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I understand totally.
I retired a few months ago.
Consider myself fairly knowledgeable. And generally helpful.
Haven’t heard of anyone being slow. And up until early September most I talked to were smiling due to currently better rates/demand.
I’m sorry if I offended you.
It’s just my opinion, that someone pulling a 280 mile load in a straight for $1.77 really isn’t good tor our side of the industry.
Maybe the OP took the 1.77 just to get moving. Sitting makes one do some undesirable things.

Last edited:

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm staying in a van. I see a repo straight near me for $3500, $1.77 sounds great to me...apparently not lol

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Hate to hear things are moving slowly maybe the season, the current stock market or basic fear of what’s to come when you hear TAKE COVER, I've been gone about three years, ailing and passed mother, home and issues, then my own issues, getting new knee this month. Was looking to come back to straight truckin as I enjoyed it quite a bit. Looking at the new trucks with better transmissions and engine packages, looking around at the various company’s, ill stay in touch, new knee goes in very soon, possibly looking for a spring fee try. Wish you all a Happy and more prosperous new year.

Reactions: RoadTime

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Nice thetory, but it doesn’t work on the week before Xmas and there are no other offers. I’m hungry and have mouths to feed and it’s the holidays. Think if all coffee everywhere was always the same price, it might get a little stale. If you stop the river from flowing you might run dry. So I’ll take what I can to survive. Making someone feel it look smal because they gotta survive, isn’t the answer. I’m older now, but still running against the wind. The subject matter of this thread is delicate, And folks may fear participating, as this site is eyeballed by all the companies and recruiters,
So, here the companies have some power. No one wants to be discovered, by their company, if the truth doesn’t look good. Hmm, I guess they’ll not have a food critic column, as we all eat at truck stops !

Thanks for the response, but here we gotta stay
Pragmatic as folks tend to want to chew others up,
Or beat up on one another. Why is that become so normal?

I’ve hauled a lot of the Best paying loads this year, of my career making it seem like we finally made it, Drivers are actually getting their just reward. But things have changed and here we may never get a real honest response as some may fear the eyes of Texas upon them. I know I do, And the talk around dodge is not good, about January’s economy. Remember Alan Greenspan said on cnn this week “take cover”, now that’s a little scary. So yea, I’m concerned. I was supposed to be rich by now,
But something went awry!

I see the Seger plug there. How bout some Steely Dan?

I drive refer t/t, and 1.77 seems to be just slightly below my avg. IOW, I don't complain there. I won't fault you for a rate like that. I know what it's like out here; and I know what it's like deadheading from my last drop in Springfield, MO to the Detroit area with a side stop at the ER. Life is too short for truck drivers to get their feathers ruffled over the small stuff.

2226.jpg

Best you can do it just...

kk-251-cat.png

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm staying in a van. I see a repo straight near me for $3500, $1.77 sounds great to me...apparently not lol
$1.77 is a decent rate for straight as long as you are not in those expensive trucks with fancy stuff that cost 100k to buy

Sent from my SM-N900T using EO Forums mobile app

Unfortunately, 100k for a straight doesnt get you much now and days. I remember my first new expeditor straight back in 95. A International off the dealer lot, a few options, but plain otherwise. $47,000. Paid it off in 2.5 years. Labor rate at Eagle International was $42.00 an hour. Oil change was 89 bucks. So sad how times have changed.