Sterling SportChassis Or Peterbilt 330 crew cab Fuel Mileage??

hummincummin

Active Expediter
Im currently Looking to get into a little bigger Unit then my dodge dually right now. Pulling my 42ft enclosed im getting roughly 12-15mpg at 65mph.

Im throwing around the Idea of getting into something like a sterling sportchassis, peterbilt 330 crew cab, freightliner M2, etc and buying a 52ft enclosed trailer.

The power options id take will be either a 8.3 Cummins, or C7cat.
More then likely they will be hooked to a 6spd alison trans, But id get a stick trans if i can find one in these trucks.

as for my rear end gearing id make it tall and give the truck long legs as i'd be doing the tuner programer,etc.

Dose anyone have any experience or knowledge as to what kind of milage I can expect with these trucks pulling that kind of trailer?

Or maybe someone with a straight truck could let me know what they're getting in there trucks with set up as mentioned above.

anything helps!

thanks!
Mark

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If you are getting 12 to 15, stick with the dually. The others if they get 10, you are lucky. The offset in the cost of fuel alone would justify not getting a bigger trailer or upgrading to a larger truck. 2 to 5 miles per gallon over 100k a year adds up to a lot of money.

The gearing is set according to the engine and trans combo, with the idea that the ideal "sweet spot" on the engine is generally around 1800 rpms for those smaller engines.

As for which one, Cummins. Cat is ok, they don't make them any more and parts are getting harder to find with the same thing about proper servicing.

hummincummin

Active Expediter
Thanks for the reply.

I was reading and it seems the "common" mileage if around 8-9mpg.

Now with all things considered I do have a heavy foot so I may get even less. who knows.

but the extra 11ft of cargo space dose fit ALOT of stuff in my business. sometimes an extra few thounsand. over a 4000mile round trip I usually do a week, How much would the 4mpg difference really be in terms of fuel cost?

Another thing I like about the sterling sportchassis in particular is the sleeper it can come with.

Another option I was thinking is a toterhome set up with like a 10ft sleeping quarters. if the milage wouldent change. Why not bring all the comforts of home with me?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Buy a CAT engine if you want to be screwed by the manufacturer at any opportunity and spend lots of time visiting you local and not local service shops. Buy a Cummins if you want a pretty darn good engine and a little bit better fuel economy. What's the mpg worth? Simple arithmetic. Round numbers for simplification, 100,000 miles a year and $4 diesel.

15mpg 6667gal $26,668
12mpg 8333gal $33,332
10mpg 10000gal $40,000
8mpg 12500gal $50,000

So, moral of that story is you guys who admit to lead feet are spending a lot of money unnecessarily as well as a lot more engine wear due to the higher rpm.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Buy a CAT engine if you want to be screwed by the manufacturer at any opportunity and spend lots of time visiting you local and not local service shops. Buy a Cummins if you want a pretty darn good engine and a little bit better fuel economy. /QUOTE]

You are quick to jump on Cat and slow to explain that this is based on your own experience. Not everyone feels as you do about them.

I like mine and have no problems finding parts (as suggested repeatedly by another poster on here) and have had very good service out of two different trucks with Cat engines. My 3126 in a Pete 330 w/9 speed averages 8.5 mpg. I try not run over 65 mph. No idea what my ratios are.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yes, it is based on my experience where they denied warranty coverage when two shops both said it was definitely a warranty covered repair. It cost four grand when they finally paid a portion of it, bringing it down enough that a lawyer won't touch it and it would cost as much in lost time, expenses and fees to sue them and recover. I presume not every one of their engines is a piece of junk but I know some are and I know the company itself is unethical and will cheat you if they get the chance. I want nothing to do with potential junk and definite crooks. If you are satisfied with them good. Good luck in the future.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it is based on my experience where they denied warranty coverage when two shops both said it was definitely a warranty covered repair. It cost four grand when they finally paid a portion of it, bringing it down enough that a lawyer won't touch it and it would cost as much in lost time, expenses and fees to sue them and recover. I presume not every one of their engines is a piece of junk but I know some are and I know the company itself is unethical and will cheat you if they get the chance. I want nothing to do with potential junk and definite crooks. If you are satisfied with them good. Good luck in the future.

I understand and have read many times before of how they treated you. But it is very unlikely that the poster will be buying a truck with a Cat product that has a warranty.