Startup Surprises

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Experienced Expediters and Newbies;

What was the most unexpected delay or problem that you encountered when you entered the Expedited Industry? IRP Plates?, Driver's License? Other???

Thanks,

HotFr8Recruiter
:D :D :D

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We were surprised that we had so little free time. Everybody we talked to said to be prepared to sit and wait for freight. Entering the business in August, we found ourselves way more busy than we expected.

Adjusting to irregular sleep was also a challenge. We did it but it took a while to get used to the idea that the night is for driving at least as much as it is for sleeping.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Sleeping was our worst surprise also. We both had never had any problems sleeping in the passenger seat while the other was driving but in a bed that is a different story! We where so worried about getting enough sleep that we stressed ourselves and couldnt sleep. Something about having all the semi's zoom about a foot from you head at 70 mph is a little nerve wracking. Now with ear plugs and a memory foam mattress we sleep almost like babies going down the road.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
When I started one of the requirements was that I remove the cargo bulkhead from my van - company were we signing with wanted maximum space for freight - all the way up to the back of the seats if necessary. So that meant that I'd have to heat/cool the entire interior ...... not knowing how often I'd have to be camping out overnight this posed a bit of a problem - so I decided to insulate the van, along with putting in the E-Track and plywood flooring.

When I started doing this I think it was in February, dead in the middle of a horrible cold snap with temps way below average. Luckily I had a friend with a heated polebarn that allowed me to use it. The Sprinter barely fit inside - with about a foot or less at the front and rear. It took forever to get this project completed - I think over a month - and I didn't spend much time really doing anything else.

I'd have to say that it has paid off in spades - while it hasn't been terribly hot we have had a number of sunny days and the heat gain inside the van has been minimal - I haven't had to turn on the AC yet. And during the time that it was cold the cab heater was more than enough to keep it toasty inside.