Starting soon......all input wanted

NYExpedite

New Recruit
Do what part time? Drive?
Unless your retired with a source of income coming in, Your going to need to work a little more then part time to stay afloat..

I would still work my day job. I already know that I would be able to make a small profit while working my day job and driving part time.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you could; that would be courier, not expedite

Most of my deliveries don't get me back home within 24 hours

Nothing wrong with courier. I've done it (before coronavirus) and made over $1000 for a quarter tank of diesel. Sadly that makes it more profitable than seeing new places

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

NYExpedite

New Recruit
If you could; that would be courier, not expedite

Most of my deliveries don't get me back home within 24 hours

Nothing wrong with courier. I've done it (before coronavirus) and made over $1000 for a quarter tank of diesel. Sadly that makes it more profitable than seeing new places

I don't mind being gone longer than 24 hours, just won't be staying out for weeks at a time. I can be gone for a few days at a time, like over the weekend especially. I've seen a lot of short 50 or 60 mile runs pay expedite carriers $200 or more depending on the lane.

I really appreciate all the feedback. It's good to have it from the people who have been doing this a while.

Reactions: Ragman and Turtle

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you only want to work weekends why not discuss this with the proper person where you work. You know there are good paying short hauls on the weekends, go for it.

Had about an hour long conversation with one today about why I was really only able to get him $1.07 a mile pretty much anywhere unless he goes on 200 mile or less runs.
An hour conversation with a driver. Must have been a slow day at the old brokerage shack. Could you give us the abridged version of why you could only give a driver $1.07/mile?

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello All,

I am planning on starting an expedite business soon. I have experience with straight truck driving in the past at past jobs. I currently work at a brokerage and we have a lot of cargo van/straight truck freight. I know the business pretty well but have wanted to start my own business for a while, i have been working on a business plan the last couple of weeks and am having some trouble figuring out some things:

Where do cargo van owner operators find freight? I have tried getting on with Sylectus but they have strict requirements that seem impossible to get around.
Where is a good place to get a cargo insurance quote from, and what types of insurance do I need exactly?

Any and all input would be helpful. I plan on being the driver for a while, until I can start making enough money to potentially justify hiring someone or adding another van.
Check with Shelly at CIS. Don’t know their number but check the front page of this website because they are a regular advertiser here. Last time I looked into it was about 4 yrs ago and rates for my 2012 MB Sprinter were about $5500/yr. Now don’t be surprised if the rates are much higher than what I was quoted. I had heard that the rates went through the roof after that quote. Hope this helps.

Reactions: brokcanadian

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well he's ready to start soon. Do you really believe he didn't check to see if he'd be approved for insurance yet :p
In the OP I thought he asked for an insurance company. I don’t know if he knew what commercial insurance cost. Thought I would sort of enlighten him on it.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the OP I thought he asked for an insurance company. I don’t know if he knew what commercial insurance cost. Thought I would sort of enlighten him on it.
/s

Edit: sorry, I forget that some people are living life straight up. Here, if you want 1 truck insured, they have a simple answer for new drivers: no

Cutoff for my rate ($7000 Canadian a year) is 10 years commercial driving experience. Those on fleet insurance forget. At least this year didn't take 4 months to process the renewal

Last edited:

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I won't have really any costs except for any van repairs and gas and maintenance for roughly the first year, that's what my banked money is for..

This statement alone tells me you are going to have a tough go. So you're going to burn through all your cash (and you will burn through it WAY faster than you think) AND then get a loan? You are going to be running your business from behind....and that makes people make bad decisions because they have to. This business is much better if you are working for yourself and not the bank.

NYExpedite

New Recruit
/s

Edit: sorry, I forget that some people are living life straight up. Here, if you want 1 truck insured, they have a simple answer for new drivers: no

Cutoff for my rate ($7000 Canadian a year) is 10 years commercial driving experience. Those on fleet insurance forget. At least this year didn't take 4 months to process the renewal

So i can't get commercial auto insurance unless I have 10 years of experience? That seems a bit unreasonable. But yes, I have looked into insurance costs.

And to the guy who mentioned running the business from behind, I have saved up money FOR this business. I have seperate money I have saved and invested in other things that is my personal money. It would take me another 3 years to save up enough money for a van and insurance. I don't need a monumental amount of money.

$1.07 per mile story TLDR; brokers and shippers control the game at the moment, with everything shut down, the T/L Ratio is unbelievable. Mind you he went to where he his going for $2.57 per mile, but the way out was cheap as hell

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So i can't get commercial auto insurance unless I have 10 years of experience? That seems a bit unreasonable. But yes, I have looked into insurance costs.

And to the guy who mentioned running the business from behind, I have saved up money FOR this business. I have seperate money I have saved and invested in other things that is my personal money. It would take me another 3 years to save up enough money for a van and insurance. I don't need a monumental amount of money.

$1.07 per mile story TLDR; brokers and shippers control the game at the moment, with everything shut down, the T/L Ratio is unbelievable. Mind you he went to where he his going for $2.57 per mile, but the way out was cheap as hell
Not in Ontario Canada but you likely don't have to worry about that. It's the cross border.

They want to control and minimize risk. They view me the same as a transport truck, and can't help but worry about $100 million dollar lawsuits against a single vehicle. Being under 10k lbs they also have no way to check my maintenance or safety, i'm unregulated

Yes 10 years was mentioned to me. I've tried to get a friend into it, and they didn't even call him back with a quote

All this means for someone who wants a business driving, insurance should be step 1.

Reactions: Treadmill

NYExpedite

New Recruit
Not in Ontario Canada but you likely don't have to worry about that. It's the cross border.

They want to control and minimize risk. They view me the same as a transport truck, and can't help but worry about $100 million dollar lawsuits against a single vehicle. Being under 10k lbs they also have no way to check my maintenance or safety, i'm unregulated

Yes 10 years was mentioned to me. I've tried to get a friend into it, and they didn't even call him back with a quote

All this means for someone who wants a business driving, insurance should be step 1.

This is good, it's looking like I will probably have to sign on to a company, at least for the first year maybe. Do companies give you the ability to, while working with them, book your own loads with your own MC# if necessary? That's my only concern. I worked for a company that didn't allow drivers to book their own loads even as an Owner Operator.

I know that the first few months maybe even first year will be tough, but i raised a daughter by myself for damn near two years, put myself through supply chain management school, and worked full time through all of this. I wold say I have roughly 6 months until I am 100% ready to start this endeavor. Having support from my wife and parents and my in-laws(who want to invest) is also very helpful.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's the rub. Very very few companies allow that for obvious reasons

Mine does, but it's the result of a lawsuit before it was bought out by a huge company. They lost the ability to call us self-employed while telling us what to do, and how and where to do it

Most I've known who take their own freight use several dispatching companies in addition to their own customers.

Nothing stops you from having magnetic decals. That would keep them out of it, as long as you have a company that's ok if you say no to them when you have your own freight

(Don't ask for my company unless you're Canadian it wouldn't help)

NYExpedite

New Recruit
That's the rub. Very very few companies allow that for obvious reasons

Mine does, but it's the result of a lawsuit before it was bought out by a huge company. They lost the ability to call us self-employed while telling us what to do, and how and where to do it

Most I've known who take their own freight use several dispatching companies in addition to their own customers.

Nothing stops you from having magnetic decals. That would keep them out of it, as long as you have a company that's ok if you say no to them when you have your own freight

(Don't ask for my company unless you're Canadian it wouldn't help)

Yeah,

I already have a name and everything(Not NYExpedite, i made this account weeks ago before i came up with the name). I'm developing a financial plan now that allows any potential lenders to see my projected income vs projected costs. My father in law has owned a business and property for years, not to mention hes a genius when it comes to business and finance.

I know there are some companies that do allow you to do that, I just didn't know if there were more. I know i would be able to get first dibs on any of the expedite loads my current employer has to offer as well. My main concern/question right now is how I will find my own freight once I decide to break off from the company I lease on to.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
My main concern/question right now is how I will find my own freight once I decide to break off from the company I lease on to.
On the heels of that answer should be figuring out how you're gonna get paid for that freight. You can spend just as much time chasing down late payers and no-payers as you can chasing down freight. You want to be your own middleman, there ya go.

NYExpedite

New Recruit
On the heels of that answer should be figuring out how you're gonna get paid for that freight. You can spend just as much time chasing down late payers and no-payers as you can chasing down freight. You want to be your own middleman, there ya go.
Are factoring companies out of the question? I mean honestly I think paying a company 3% of the load is worth the hassle of not having to do all that myself. Again, I don't know anything about factoring companies from the payee side but my experience with factoring companies seems like its a solid deal

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Top 5 Freight Factoring Companies for Owner Operators and Small Fleets - TruckersReport.com

Check out that article for some factoring companies that don't require a minimum monthly factoring amount. But most importantly, read the comments posted at the bottom.

I only know personally two people who used factoring companies, one straight truck and one cargo van. Both of them said the same thing: "Factoring is a good deal for the factoring company."

NYExpedite

New Recruit
Top 5 Freight Factoring Companies for Owner Operators and Small Fleets - TruckersReport.com

Check out that article for some factoring companies that don't require a minimum monthly factoring amount. But most importantly, read the comments posted at the bottom.

I only know personally two people who used factoring companies, one straight truck and one cargo van. Both of them said the same thing: "Factoring is a good deal for the factoring company."
Good to know.