Starting my own fleet.

Drew21

New Recruit
Researching
Think how much you could save if the only expenses you had to worry about with the profits from the truck was the truck expenses itself. And the main focus is the moral of the drivers. Just like pilots, the better you take care of them and show respect the more likely they will be respectful and present good conduct at customer docks. To help build a good relationship with shipper and to help secure lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Let's just say when someone starts a conversation with "How Much Should I Charge" or "How Much Should I Pay " many of us are skeptical. You wouldn't go to a job interview and start off with "What's The Pay"! If you want advice go to Newbies Paradise thread and read back aways. Then formulate some questions that help you understand how the business works, not how it pays. Good luck

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Why don't you tell me. What would it take for you to risk it with someone whose willing to fund his own business start up. Not that I'm asking you to but I want to know. 35% of the load and flexible home time. Not going to be living off the truck profits. So I can save up faster and won't be pressed for trying to run a driver to death to make payments. Least enough to make decent profit after insurance, tags, and taxes.

I don't know you, and you don't know me. Why would i give up the security i have to drive for you? Sell me on the idea....

Drew21

New Recruit
Researching
I doubt anyone with a good job already will leave to drive for someone just starting. I have some resources from truck drivers I know that said they would help me out and drive for me. They know me and know I keep my word too tho. Talked to one guy I know that can find his own loads if need be.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I doubt anyone with a good job already will leave to drive for someone just starting. I have some resources from truck drivers I know that said they would help me out and drive for me. They know me and know I keep my word too tho. Talked to one guy I know that can find his own loads if need be.

Im just playing devils advocate.

I really do wish you .

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are also looking at adding on a truck and after actively being expediters for the past thirteen years I am still struggling with how to make this work so that all of us will be profitable.

For you to make it work with no experience you need to do a lot more research and getting your own authority and driving is not going to work in the Expedite arena.

Start making plans by talking to drivers, contacting current fleet owners, attend the Expedite Expo next July, and have the patience to learn what Expediting is all about.

Remember not everyone is going to want to share all of their hard-earned knowledge with you and you not have to do the research to first figure out how expediting works.

Reactions: RoadTime and Ragman

C&J

Active Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I work on the river as a pilot and am saving up to buy a truck and trailer out right. What are the best pay splits to find and keep a good driver. I will continue to work on the river and live off my boat wage while using the profit from the truck to grow and get more trucks. But want a good pay system for the people that help me get my biusness off the ground. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I realize this post original tread is kinda dead, BUT....having read thru it, I thought it posed many good ideas to kick around and maybe learn a few things.

I don't understand why those involved in trucking would inform another would be owner to seek another investment, when they themselves are in trucking???

I know several ( a few ) owners who have never turned a wheel, but have smart business sense. And started out asking questions from those with experience. Starting from scratch, and are doing well. Headaches, yes...but what business owner doesn't???
Personally, I think to my self...why would anybody want to make "widgets'? or own a MacDonalds? etc......

If the OP is still around....my first question would be, if you lose that driver and your equipment is idle....can YOU jump into that truck and at the very least, have it ( the equipment ) pay for itself....? Or will it sit, and become an investment draw down....much like a stock investment can go down. Not sure if that is a good example n this case, but I'm kicking around ideas to start a dialogue.

Now my husband, and biz partner, could answer these questions....but he won't post on boards. He feels too much negativity.... prove him wrong????

If you write "just don't do it"....write why YOU are doing it? Why aren't you
"Investing" your time and money elsewhere?

Just food for thought and discussion.....

Sandra James

Rookie Expediter
Researching
I'm not asking you too. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row for it.

You're missing my point.

You're starting a fleet in this business without even knowing anything about it. If you did, you would know how much to pay.

My advice, get into a truck, learn the business first, then build your fleet.

Yup totally agree with you or else he could encounter great loses