starting in this business

Mcats Express

Expert Expediter
Driver
Can i make about $500.00 a week take home after i pay my fuel and misc. expenses, on the road? i would be working for someone who has a cargo van. thanks. making like .40 cents a mile

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
If your 40 cents a mile is net after fuel etc. you should be able to get in 1500 miles in a typical week with a typical company. If 40 cents is your gross before expenses, nopt likely.

Can you give us some more details?
\
Terry

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Still kinda vague?
Is it .40 cents per loaded mile, or for ALL miles dispatched.
Very big difference
Terry is the expert on vans.
In my opinion at that rate for loaded miles, you are stretching to AVERAGE $500.00 per week.
Just an observation
Davekc

Mcats Express

Expert Expediter
Driver
.40 loaded miles, and i get fuel surcharge, emty moves pay.my medical insurance will be $66.00 a week. so can i take home 500.00 clear a week? i would be with pantherii.
or would i be better off buying my own cargo van? thank you for you help.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
In your case I would think you would do better to buy your own van. Possibly used to keep the cost down. Resale on vans is much different than other equipment.
Before jumping, I would have at least 3 months of operating and personal finances set aside.
If unsure or lack funds, I would drive for an owner to meet those requirements.
However, $500.00 net average per week would seem pretty hard driving for someone.
Maybe some of the current van drivers can help you out on this.
Davekc
owner
20 years

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
I know Panther II is offering .77 a mile plus 100% of the fuel surcharge. The person that you have been talking with is going to keep .37 a mile for providing you with the van. Then they are going to stick you with the cost of fuel to boot. Sounds like a bad deal to me. Panther is very flexiable in van requirements (hence the reason I am signing with them) they require a 96 or newer, white, with out windows (it can have them in the rear and side doors) and 3/4 ton or better. I suggest if your really serious about getting in to the field, look for a Ford Econoline E350 extened van. Stay away from anyhing with a V10 or 460V8, you'll go broke. The 5.4 and 5.8 a both bullet proof, the 4.3 V6 is a lead slug. The 4.9 Inline six is also a good motor but I think you'll only find those in 95 and older vans. Chevy also made a great van and all the engines they put in them will last a long time. Of course the 305 V8 will be better than the 350V8 on gas. If your not sure, give Panthers recuiting department a call, I am sure there is a van owner looking for a driver that is willing to offer you a better deal.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't drive a van so this isn't direct experience but hopefully will be of some help. Before you sign with someone for 40cpm minus fuel do some more looking. From what I've heard talking to drivers it's most common to get 60% if you are paying fuel. Based on the 77cpm to the van that would be 46.2cpm to you.

Guesstimating 15mpg you are looking at about 13cpm for fuel leaving you with 33cpm plus fuel surcharge money. I don't know what fsc is for vans and imagine it's significantly less than what I get for my D unit. For now I'm going to leave that out and it will be your weekly bonus.

Based on 33cpm you would have to run 1500 paid miles to have $500 to pocket, after fuel. That's IF you get with someone giving the 60/40 split and IF you avg. 15mpg at no more than $2 a gallon.

The fsc money would then become bonus/emergency funds. It won't be a lot but would probably cover tolls and laundry each week at least. Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I know very little about vans. I used to have two here in town doing local but that is now run by my daughter and her husband. My thoughts based on your data are as follows: BAD DEAL! I would look elsewhere or as DaveKC said get your own.

As for engine,I agree as someone stated earlier do not get FORDs V10. I own one in my Excursion and my over the road trucks get better mileage. Great engine to pull with but stinks on gas mileage. Stay away from that. It will break you in a few weeks.

Raceman
Owner Two Straight Truck.
Part time driver of one of my trucks and local TT.
15mon.OTR Expediting
1 yr local Expediting
Line Haul TT 2mon.
OTR Straight Truck Plt to Plt off and on 5 years.
Based in Cincy Ohio
Currently at Express-1

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I realize some may challenge me on this. As a rule though, there isn't enough income from a van to support two people from different families. It may work out for a father/son, husband/wife etc, but overall I'd be hesitant to suggest a van income can support two people.

Good luck to ya,
Danny

bryan

Veteran Expediter
HI
You would have to run 2000 paid miles per week .
That is difficult to do sometime. And if you plan on eating 1 hot meal per day you'll need to run even more. It can be done .
2000milesx40=$800.00
2000miles/18 mpg=111galx$2.43per gal=$269.00
$800.00-$269.00=530.27
$14.00 x 6 days per week = $84.00 1 hot meal
530.27-84.00=$446.27
Just for the record I.ve averaged 127,000 miles per year for the last 9 years, but 1/4 of those were empty miles .Fuel cost have almost doubled in the last 2 years so you might want to even go higher than$2.43 per gal. I was doing my taxes today an seen where I bought 29 gals for $45.00 thats $1.55. ah the good old days.
THANKS AND HAVE A GOOD ONE BEST OF LUCK

bryan

Veteran Expediter
OH YEA
JUST WANTED TO ADD A MAJOR COST THAT GETS MISSED BY A LOT OF FIRST TIMERS IS SELF EMPLOYMENT TAX
IT 15.3% OF YOUR TAXABLE EARNINGS . WHEN YOUR AN EMPLOYEE YOU PAY HALF OF THIS TAX AND YOU EMPLOYER PAYS THE OTHER HALF.A LOT OF OWNERS CONSIDER THERE DRIVERS SUB CONTRACTORS SO THEY DO NOT HAVE TO PAY HALF OF THIS TAX.
SO MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE OWNER BEFORE YOU START DRIVING FOR HIM.

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
IN REPLY TO BRYAN TAX ANSWERS, IF YOU ARE AN O/O SIGNED ON TO A COMPANY YOU ARE CONSIDERED AN INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AND THE LEASING COMPANY DOES NOT PAY ANY TAXES AT ALL YOU ARE ON A 1099 MISC FORM
YOUHAVE TO PAY YOUR OWN TAXES, if YOU MAKE A PROFIT YOU WILL PAY INCOME, SS, AND MEDICARE TAXES ALL 15.3% PERIOD

iKNOW THIS DUE TO THE FACT THAT I HAVE THE TAX FORMUM ON THIS SITE.

fRANK
FRANK'S TAX & BUSINESS SERVICE