Starting expediting ?'s

Roaddawg

Active Expediter
I would like to know if anyone can give me some advice on where to start. I was looking to start in a straight truck. But I can not afford the down payment these people are wanting for these trucks. Where could I lease a straight truck and do well with and not go broke trying to make a living? Any help would be great. I am a team myself and girlfriend. If this helps. No tie downs can stay out for weeks at a time as long as there are loads.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Hi roaddawg, have you thought about going with a sprinter or maybe driving for a fleet? You will have to start with a company that does not require experience. I believe Panther accepts straight truck drivers with no previous experience. Look on eo' s home page there is a link to them. I am sure they could hook you up with one of their fleet owners. Good luck!

armin88

Expert Expediter
I would like to know if anyone can give me some advice on where to start. I was looking to start in a straight truck. But I can not afford the down payment these people are wanting for these trucks. Where could I lease a straight truck and do well with and not go broke trying to make a living? Any help would be great. I am a team myself and girlfriend. If this helps. No tie downs can stay out for weeks at a time as long as there are loads.

I wouldn't jump your guns,you should drive for a fleet owner for at lease 6 months maybe more before becoming an O/O right off the bat.Do you have any trucking experience?

LisaLouHoo

Expert Expediter
I agree, drive for someone else for a few months to see if you can tolerate sleeping in a vehicle in all types of weather, at times waiting days between loads, driving all night, time management, etc. Not to be a downer, but the excitement of seeing the country is offset by the reality of the trade.

Sent from my ADR6300 using EO Forums

Roaddawg

Active Expediter
We have met up with a few fleet owners, yes they are from panther. Just the fleet owners in this business are so shady. They try to get you to believe what they want you to believe that you will make $1000's driving with them. The one that sticks out to me is the one that tried to get us to go into a cargo that was trashed and I would not even put my ex mother-in-law in. The van was just so beat up that it really surprised me that Panther would let someone put equipment on the road like that. What we are worried about is if they vans are like this for Panther what does the straight truck look like and are they in the shape to drive.
Not to much trucking experience but traveling experience yes.
Yes I have read the newbie's page and I would like to hear straight from the people that has done this and how they got their start.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
We have met up with a few fleet owners, yes they are from panther. Just the fleet owners in this business are so shady. They try to get you to believe what they want you to believe that you will make $1000's driving with them. The one that sticks out to me is the one that tried to get us to go into a cargo that was trashed and I would not even put my ex mother-in-law in. The van was just so beat up that it really surprised me that Panther would let someone put equipment on the road like that. What we are worried about is if they vans are like this for Panther what does the straight truck look like and are they in the shape to drive.
Yes I have read the newbie's page and I would like to hear straight from the people that has done this and how they got their start.

I can tell you that van ownership is the only way to go. I don't get the idea of fleet ownership with vans, paying pennies means that you get pennies and in today's market what could be a bad run today would the great run tomorrow.

My advice is simple, buy a van and get started. If you can't afford a van, then go do something else. It is not important that anyone does this work nor is it a mandate in life to live marginally, sleeping in strange places and having some sprinter owner in shorts try to sell you a jar of "homemade South Dakota" pickles in the middle of the winter night in some walmart parking lot.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can tell you that van ownership is the only way to go. I don't get the idea of fleet ownership with vans, paying pennies means that you get pennies and in today's market what could be a bad run today would the great run tomorrow.

My advice is simple, buy a van and get started. If you can't afford a van, then go do something else. It is not important that anyone does this work nor is it a mandate in life to live marginally, sleeping in strange places and having some sprinter owner in shorts try to sell you a jar of "homemade South Dakota" pickles in the middle of the winter night in some walmart parking lot.

Thanks for the plug...:p I think you have "pickle" envy...

BTW...great advice on van ownership..IMO

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Well panther has the owners keep the straight trucks up because dot regulates them and makes there CSA score go up. So much as a light out raises the safety score.

As for the van you looked at I haven't seen any that bad on the road. I have seen some beaters for smaller companies but not the larger carriers.

Roaddawg

Active Expediter
Well I do not want to do a van. I would rather do a straight truck. But the vans I looked at where beaters. Sprinter with back bumper missing, cargos with dents in them. But I can a ford a van but I feel I would make more with a straight truck. Thanks to all for the answers and advice even though some are very grumpy for some reason I do not know if you got one of those pickles stuck in your throat or not LOL!!!!!

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
Well I think u can do jest as good in a van if not better then a ST When u look at all the cost of both in a st u have to run as a team to make any money (so I've been told) so I like cv more then a st less head ache in a van no dot reg and no logs but thay both have there pros an cons I would stay under 10000 lb to me that's better

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Well I think u can do jest as good in a van if not better then a ST When u look at all the cost of both in a st u have to run as a team to make any money (so I've been told) so I like cv more then a st less head ache in a van no dot reg and no logs but thay both have there pros an cons I would stay under 10000 lb to me that's better

That's funny. I've talked to van drivers and according to them my pay is double theirs and they sit more than us.

I've looked in to van and was persuaded by the fine members not to buy one as the miles aren't that good. The van would be good for a) someone without a cdl b) someone who doesn't need the money but like to get paid to travel.

None of this was meant to be offensive to van drivers so please don't take it that way.

Roaddawg

Active Expediter
From my Q's and A's. Example: Panther Straight Truck $1.39 per mile plus $.39 FSC. Plus $.45 DH Mile and $75 LO. The driver I spoke with 587 Mile run.$1.39 x 587=$815.93 x 60%=$489.56
FSC $.39x587=$228.93 + $489.56 = $718.49 + DH 65x$.45=$29.25 + LO Pay $75

$489.56 + $228.93 +$29.25 + $75 = $822.74
Fuel Cost = 587/10.5= 55.90 Gal.
55.90x$3.80=$212.42

$822.74-$212.42=$610.32
$610.32/587=$.96 per mile was the average net per mile. They got 60% of truck Rev. and they paid fuel. That's not to bad if you ask me. This was their last load for the weekend and they had clock 2600 miles for the week at the average of $.92 per mile net pay after fuel. Plus their LO pay and dead head. So this is the main reason I would rather go to a straight truck and not a van. This team was telling me this was one of their slow weeks in the last 6 months that they had been in the straight truck. Of course they was setting in Walmart Parking Lot eating Sonic LOL. in The Villages Fl.

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
That's funny. I've talked to van drivers and according to them my pay is double theirs and they sit more than us.

I've looked in to van and was persuaded by the fine members not to buy one as the miles aren't that good. The van would be good for a) someone without a cdl b) someone who doesn't need the money but like to get paid to travel.

None of this was meant to be offensive to van drivers so please don't take it that way.

None taken but the op cost is also double that or more then a cv from what I've heard( and we all know how that is ) is to make any money in a straght truck u need to run teams and u need to stay out 3 to 4 weeks at a time. The cost to run my van (payment , phone , ins , oil change , and prevent work) is about $900 a mo not including fuel that is close to a truck payment for a straght truck I think. I get .90 to 1.00 per mile I stay out 2 1/2 week at a time most of the time and then Home a week or two with my kids I avg 4000 to 6000 miles a mo

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
None taken but the op cost is also double that or more then a cv from what I've heard( and we all know how that is ) is to make any money in a straght truck u need to run teams and u need to stay out 3 to 4 weeks at a time. The cost to run my van (payment , phone , ins , oil change , and prevent work) is about $900 a mo not including fuel that is close to a truck payment for a straght truck I think. I get .90 to 1.00 per mile I stay out 2 1/2 week at a time most of the time and then Home a week or two with my kids I avg 4000 to 6000 miles a mo

I think an important factor you are overlookingis the OP is ooking to team drive with his g/f.

As a team, they can make more in a ST than they can make in a cv. In a cv, the freight & market is going to limit your miles. Aka there is no financial advantage to having a team in a cv than a single imo.

I did up to 1300 mile runs in a cv, I would never share the moneyfrom a van witha codriver even if she was my wife, I'd send her out in her own cv but I guess that's why I'm single lol

Another EO member I know went in a cv for 6 months with his wife to get her experience but separated once she could go on her own and he jumped to a truck.

When I was a company driver in a sprinter I wasaveraging $400 a week after deductions now that I'm in a ST as a company driver I'm making closer to $700 a week after deductions.

I find the freight is more reliable & consistent in a ST and you don't have to run hard (no more 900 mile runs & you make more)

Work smarter not harder really is true. I hate logging and I often am stuck scrambling to catch up on 3 days worth while I'm getting loaded but it's worth the hassle imo.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
You're scrambling to catch up on three days' worth of logs? Do you have a CDL?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can tell you from experience that if you get pulled over, get into an accident or pulled behind the scale, you won't have any time other than getting your paper work out for the officer because if you even hint at three days of updating the log, you may be facing a 10 hour reset (maybe a 34 hour reset for that matter) and one big fat fine. OH and not to forget the CSA points and if the officer is a real a** and you are under load, being told you have to be in the sleeper for that 10 hours and not overseeing the unloading of your truck.