Starting expediting ?'s

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Really?

I'm not trying to bash you but ...

I can't figure out what it is with these two quotes, maybe I'm missing something.

maybe ... lol

I think we should stop hijacking this thread and you can give me advice via pm so we don't ruin the OP's thread.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think we should stop hijacking this thread and you can give me advice via pm so we don't ruin the OP's thread.

No I don't do it that way.

I post so others can read it. PM about an issue that affects everyone is like defeating the purpose of the forum.

The issue at hand is not just about starting, it is about starting right. If the person is going to start with a truck, logging is as important an issue as is how to drive.

Roaddawg

Active Expediter
OK guys and gals. Back to the Q's! We have been offered a position to drive for a fleet owner that is leased on with FedEx, But I do not see anyone up here from FedEx replying to any of the post. Why? What can you guys tell me about FedEx? Also what can you tell me about Expediter Services LLC. Are they a good company? Also what does the orientation cost for FedEx Custom Critical?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
But I do not see anyone up here from FedEx replying to any of the post. Why?

Don't know. I would think they are working hard so they didn't have time to post.

What can you guys tell me about FedEx?

They are a good company for some, bad for others. They do care about their brand (image) first and foremost and have a general attitude that you are a contractor and they are a company - live with it.

Also what can you tell me about Expediter Services LLC. Are they a good company?

Don't know first hand knowledge but heard they are the same - good for one but may not be good for others.

Also what does the orientation cost for FedEx Custom Critical?

Nothing. I don't think FedEx charges.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
OK guys and gals. Back to the Q's! We have been offered a position to drive for a fleet owner that is leased on with FedEx, But I do not see anyone up here from FedEx replying to any of the post. Why? What can you guys tell me about FedEx? Also what can you tell me about Expediter Services LLC. Are they a good company? Also what does the orientation cost for FedEx Custom Critical?

Sent you a PM.

ttruck

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
1.25 is what the straights are at now w/surchg. at .39 1.25 is w/ hazmat and lift gate,team.
we are at 60 /40 60% is .75 per mi plus fuel sur 1.14 per mile loaded less fuel the truck
i drive costs .47 cents per mile min.to drive,that leaves you at .67 per mile to the drivers.
if we can average 3700 mi. per.wk we do all right you will find that this is not the norm.
always.
with this said im sure you will hear many other things as time goes , check owners out ask a lot of questions of your your prospected owners ask to talk to ther past drivers or present drivers DO YOUR HOME WORK there are a lot of good oweners and some not good luck TTRUCK

Roaddawg

Active Expediter
So FECC is at $1.25 PM. That is with HM. I thought they were the best paying company? I am asking because I have talked to a lot of drivers but none from FECC. The drivers I spoke with from like Panther is averaging $1.39 PM and $.39 FSC, that is with out HM. HUMM! This is why I am up here asking all you guys and gals Q's because only the ones that are out there will tell you the truth. I see you are from FL. TTRUCK. Not that I am worried about home time but how often do you see it?

Monty

Expert Expediter
If you think it is confusing just getting started, wait until you are on the road. A lot of decisions to be made, and sometimes they require hard lessons to make the correct one.

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
The one thing I would recommend doing is giting an LLC. the way some people are sue happy these day an LLC is the best way to protect yourself should somthing happen and it is cheap mine was $550 small price for peace of mind

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
The one thing I would recommend doing is giting an LLC. the way some people are sue happy these day an LLC is the best way to protect yourself should somthing happen and it is cheap mine was $550 small price for peace of mind

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

Not worth the paper its printed on when your the one behind the wheel. It will help to protect your assets if one of your drivers has a wreck. If you personally have a wreck, forget it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

I understand your intent is good on this eve of Christmas but here is the thing, there is no entity (corporate or otherwise) that will protect an owner operator or a driver.

Your assets, personal and business are at risk because of the nature of the work and the law. The only thing that is untouchable is pensions and in most cases 401k/403b.

This lie that has been floated around by the carpet sale style lawyers and online corporation shops is that being incorporated will protect your home etc.. all to drum up business. People make good money by having off the shelf companies and providing services for those who think there is a need to "protect" their stuff. In reality most of the stuff can be done for under $100.

The real purpose of incorporating is to lessen tax liabilities and only that. With the way our tax code is, you need a good accountant who knows your business in order to show you what will work for your situation, everyone is different.

jansiemoo

Seasoned Expediter

There's no cost for orientation. As I told you on a previous post, I think Expeditor Services is the best place for anyone to start. Search the forums for posts about them- use both expeditor/expediter (I can never remember which spelling it is and it's a moot point because it's spelled twenty ways across the forums).
I drive for FedEx, but pay varies based on a number of factors- qualifications, truck equipment, etc. They have a flat rate program as well, last I heard.

Roaddawg

Active Expediter
There's no cost for orientation. As I told you on a previous post, I think Expeditor Services is the best place for anyone to start. Search the forums for posts about them- use both expeditor/expediter (I can never remember which spelling it is and it's a moot point because it's spelled twenty ways across the forums).
I drive for FedEx, but pay varies based on a number of factors- qualifications, truck equipment, etc. They have a flat rate program as well, last I heard.

Thank You I have done that now. LOL! From the older post I have read everyone thinks they are great so I think we will try them out until we get our own truck. Thank you to everyone that has replied to me and my Q's and even thank you to the ones that got off post with their conv's.