Starting a NEW Empty Nester's Life!!!

jackieg

Active Expediter
NEWBIE ALERT! New to the site but heard great things about all of you. Im about to take my CDL course (2 full weeks in April) then He (husband) and I will be signing up (with who?) and becoming an O/O Team! Looking forward to the 'change' little nervous Definitely in the dark with all that you all do everyday out there! He's been studying the business for about a year. Ive been focusing on studying for class B and reading forums here. I just wanted to touch base with you who are out there and can lend me your hand. Thanks!
Safety First, Jackie

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Welcome!
Lots of stuff to learn, definitely. Don't hesitate to ask, if you can't find what you're wondering about. If you prefer, you can send private messages to those who might be able to answer questions that aren't necessarily of general interest. A bit of reading will give you some idea as to the area and level of expertise [if I may call it that, lol] of the regulars here. For example: if it's a team question, I'm the wrong person to ask, because I drive solo, but there are many teams who would be happy to help. Discovering who knows what is especially priceless for a newbie, IMO.
:D

jackieg

Active Expediter
For my class B CDL with General, Air Brake& HazMat its a combined course through TTI in Buffalo NY It will include my permit DOT and License I Cant Wait~I'll be the only woman in class though :S

paullud

Veteran Expediter
For my class B CDL with General, Air Brake& HazMat its a combined course through TTI in Buffalo NY It will include my permit DOT and License I Cant Wait~I'll be the only woman in class though :S

Don't go through the school unless both of you are rookies. The school is likely way more expensive than other schools because of it's location. There are better options out there to obtain a class B.

jackieg

Active Expediter
Im getting the feeling that 'school' isnt as necessary as I thought... I've already signed on, I might as well take in as much info and hands on learning that I can! I wish I had joined this site & asked for advice BEFORE this decision was made! Now I'll focus on passing and LIVING on the Road! yikes!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Here is a great place to do some preparation. You need the General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Hazardous Materials. You should be able to get a copy of your states CDL manual at the DMV. Give it a read through, then do some tests....repeat, repeat, repeat. You'll be acing the practice tests in no time. My experience has been that if your acing these practice tests, you'll ace the state's written test. Here's the link: http://www.cristcdl.com/otc/

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Im getting the feeling that 'school' isnt as necessary as I thought... I've already signed on, I might as well take in as much info and hands on learning that I can! I wish I had joined this site & asked for advice BEFORE this decision was made! Now I'll focus on passing and LIVING on the Road! yikes!
Don't feel bad....many come to the site well after they have purchased the wrong truck, signed with the wrong carrier and basicly done everything wrong. Then they want help as to how to fix it. It's a little too late for "fixing" generally...lol. It's sad, it really is, but just not a lot that can be remedied at that point.

You did good! :)

jackieg

Active Expediter
He DOES! He has Owned/Operated His Auto Repair Business for 30 years/worked on ALL vehicles inc diesel& Drives ClassB bus&trucks for 25+ years! I am the one with little to no experience~should'a Paid Attention all of these years, I guess! lol

jackieg

Active Expediter
Cristcdl is THE SAME SITE I already have saved in my favorites! I started with it about 2 months ago-off&on a little-and I LOVE learning this way! I test, re-read, then re-test till I get 100%. It has Really helped a Lot Between that and youtube videos Im learnig, all be it ever so slowly! I didnt want to go to 'school' Totally in the dark, Thanks!

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
He DOES! He has Owned/Operated His Auto Repair Business for 30 years/worked on ALL vehicles inc diesel& Drives ClassB bus&trucks for 25+ years! I am the one with little to no experience~should'a Paid Attention all of these years, I guess! lol
lol....nah. You have plenty of time. Just take it in steps. Study for the written tests and you'll be well ahead of the game. You could even take the written test and have your license before class starts. Then...while the rest of the class is studying for the written test, you could be practicing for the pre-trip which is a major part of the driving test.

I have no idea how much time you have available to do these things...but since you mentioned that he has a repair business. IF he happens to have a truck sitting around that is available to you, he could go over the pretrip inspection with you a couple of times (there are guidelines in the CDL manual). You could start on that now too. Class is a whole lot easier when your well ahead of the pack...lol. :)

Just throwing out some ideas to keep ya busy :D

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
Wow...I'm sorry. I'm using my phone app and didn't realize I was posting in the women's forum! Lol.

------->Running for my life!....:D

jackieg

Active Expediter
Thankfully I have all the time I want/need! I'd Love to take my permit early, but its already paid for thru schooling, so I might as well wait. He has any vehicle available (we even have a friend who is an Instructor!) Pre Trips gonna be a bugger looking at all sorts of 'stuff' I hadnt bother to take notice of all these years! lol But I know some drivers, one Instructor and they are ALL willing to help me. Im looking forward to the journey! Ps Im going to be learning to drive in a Big Yellow Bus next week on private property, just for maneuvers...!

paullud

Veteran Expediter

It isn't the end of the world but there are many cheaper options out there for schools. Some don't even go to a school and just rent a truck to train with someone that already has a license. Some places you can use a 3rd party tester instead of taking the road test through the state. I live east of you over in Utica, NY and when I took my road test through the state for my class A I had to parallel park. A rookie really has no business trying to make that maneuver and including it in the road test is ridiculous considering it is pretty much a pointless skill.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wow...I'm sorry. I'm using my phone app and didn't realize I was posting in the women's forum! Lol.

------->Running for my life!....:D

You're silly! Men are allowed to post here, and they only need to run for their lives if they say dumb things.
You're safe. So far.
;)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It isn't the end of the world but there are many cheaper options out there for schools. Some don't even go to a school and just rent a truck to train with someone that already has a license. Some places you can use a 3rd party tester instead of taking the road test through the state. I live east of you over in Utica, NY and when I took my road test through the state for my class A I had to parallel park. A rookie really has no business trying to make that maneuver and including it in the road test is ridiculous considering it is pretty much a pointless skill.

Ditto for the Class A in Mo - I had to parallel park a t/t, which never ever happened once I'd done it and was driving one. Stupid rule!

Jackie: the pretrip is an important part of the test, because it's an important part of driving commercially. It was like a foreign language to me, too, but it's not hard to learn, and the knowledge is worth aquiring and retaining, I promise.

jackieg

Active Expediter
Like you, I will have to parallel park, NY and its regulations... thats exactly why we r moving to TN! ps been to your neck of the woods!

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Like you, I will have to parallel park, NY and its regulations... thats exactly why we r moving to TN! ps been to your neck of the woods!

My wife and I are planning the exact same thing. We plan to sell the house this year and have been looking at houses in the Knoxville and Kingsport, TN area. NY seems to be chasing away it's residents with taxes and regulations. There are a few members here that live between Buffalo and Utica.

jackieg

Active Expediter
we r outside of Knoxville right now Love the Area Cant Wait to be here 100%! NY really IS chasing its residents away with tax/regs/gun laws!