sprinter

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you can, you should. I cannot. If laws change and I do get a CDL, I'll carry it to my grave...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a cdl,i want to drive a sprinter that doesnt require a cdl,would i need to renew my medical card ?Thanks
If you want to keep your CDL, yes, you'll need to renew the medical card. Can't have a CDL without a medical card.

Will

Rookie Expediter
If you want to keep your CDL, yes, you'll need to renew the medical card. Can't have a CDL without a medical card.
The state of Pennsylvania you can re-new your CDLs w/out medical card But you can't use them. They give you a forum that need fill out if ya want to use them again

texx010

Expert Expediter
Researching
In some states if you drive what is legally considered a commercial vehicle, which can include a sprinter rated at 10,000 lbs or more, then a medical card is required even if a CDL is not required to drive that vehicle. Many straight trucks are rated at 25,500 lbs which is just under the CDL class B limit of 26,000 lbs, but their drivers are still legally required to have a valid D.O.T. medical card.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Most expedite companies require a dot physical even in a van. This is a company rule not a dot rule. Their are a few of the smaller companies that do not require it. In general those companies all tough possibly good to drive for are not as secure financially as most larger ones.

The huge majority of sprinters are under 10,000 lbs so legally no you do not need the physical but you do need to ask individual companies as to their policy.

Last edited:

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
A Blair Enterprise operated by Tom Robertson - knowledgeable, stand-up, well respected gentleman. Feel comfortable with Tom.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i had a cdl and drive a sprinter, ceva doesn't required a cdl for a sprinter

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Here's an interesting ? If you don't have a Cdl and are driving a van or sprinter and need a medical card to work for said company is that medical card tied into the same tracking system as a Cdl drivers state reporting office so the dot can track it as well ?