Sprinter Vans any good?

ARNACUS

Expert Expediter
I currently work for First Class Expediting in Rochester Hills, MI and own a 2001 Ford E350 Super Duty extended with the V-8 Disel. I get about 18-20 mpg and was wondering how people like the new Sprinter type vans by Freightliner and Dodge. Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Adam:+

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Read through the van postings on this forum- there is quite a bit of Sprinter info here:)
-Weave-

Chuck

Expert Expediter
I've had a lot of problems. I was ill informed about warrenty. I consider it insufficent. I froze all last winter. The salesman did not tell me abour a heater booster which is avaiable as an option for $1150.00. Parts are never available they have to be ordered from warehouse in Memphis. You cannot idle engine because it carbons up the EGR valve and injectors. The cost of an EGR valve is $527.00 plus labor. You cannot develop any engine heat even if you reved engine to 2000 RPM.

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Chuck,
After 4 egr valves and 6 injectors I just had a Espar air heater installed. I hope this will help.
The Espar is expensive but it will run 24 hours on a little over one gallon of diesel so in the long run it will pay for itself.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Marty,

I would love to hear how you like and how well the Espar system works for you. Please keep us posted!

Also, if you don't mind me asking - how did you hear about the Espar heater?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------
On the keyboard of life, always keep
one finger on the escape key.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/fastcomputer.gif
-----------------------------------------

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Lawrence,

So far the Espar heater I purchased for my Sprinter is working great. I chose the Airtronic 4 model which seemed right for either a Sprinter or a large truck sleeper. The Airtronic 2 model would suffice in a GMC,Chevrolet, or Ford van.
The Airtronic 4 cost me $1600 out the door installed. I belive the Airtronic 2 would have been $1250.
The lowest temperature I ran into so far is 25 degrees and the Espar unit ran most the time at the medium setting, keeping it nice and toasty inside.
There are 4 sttings that are automatically chosen by the thermostat. Low is 3,400 btu, med. is 6,800 btu high is 10,200 btu, and boost is 13,600 btu. Fuel consumption is .03gal/hr. in low,.07gal/hr. in med.,.1gal/hr in high, and .13gal/hr. in boost. Battery drain is .6 amps.in low, 1.1 amps in med., 2 amps in high, and 3.3 amps in boost.
If you idle a truck, for purposes of producing heat, 8 hours a day, for 5 days a week, over a 30 week period each year you would use 1,200 gals of fuel. That is assuming an average consumption of 1 gal/hr. At a price of $1.40 per gal. it would cost $1680 to heat your truck for just one winter.
Using the Espar Airtronic 4 heater for the same amount of time you would use 84 gals. at a cost of $117.60 at the medium setting or if you perfer to sleep in tropical conditions you would use 120 gals. at a cost of $168 with the setting always on high.
I will leave you to figure out what the additional savings would be in the wear and tear category.
Obviously, the savings benefits of using the Espar heater over idling an engine for heat, would be enough to pay for the Espar heater in just one season's use.
I will let you know how well the Espar heater works in extreme temperatures later this season.
To answer your question as to where I heard about the Espar Heaters it was on a great site on the web, www.expeditersonline.com.
Just click on Open Forum and go to search.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Are these heaters available for gasoline powered vans? Do you know of anyone in the Detroit area that installs?

Thanks

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Larry,
All Espar heaters as well as heaters of this type are designed to use diesel fuel but do not dispair. There is a solution for gasoline powered vans. That is to add a small tank to hold diesel fuel.
A gallon of diesel will last about 20 hours so as you can see a very small tank would suffice.
For more information contact Espar of Michigan in Romulus, Mi. Their phone number is : (734)-947=0123. Ask for Ray.

G

Chuck,
Who put in your heater and what was the cost?

Hows it working out for you?

Stoy

Expert Expediter
I got this from the Espar website. Espar Air Heaters operate on Gasoline or Diesel fuel and are manufactured in 12 or 24 Volt models.

G

I'm getting frustrated with my sprinter. I got it Jan. 12, 2004 and at 54K miles I'm on my 3rd EGR valve. My fuel mileage is also droping. It got about 20 at first now but down to about 18 now.

What is the waranty on the EGR valve and what will it cost me to replace when I finally have to buy one?

Marty

Veteran Expediter
Hi Childsafe,
I don't have my Sprinter anymore but I can answer your questions. When new I was getting 20 mpg. at 80,000 miles I was getting 16 to 18 mpg. Before I lost my Sprinter in February I was getting 14 to 16 mpg. That was with 160,000 miles on the odometer.
DC Vans sent two of their top mechanics to go over the vehicle but neither every found anything wrong that would cause the lowered mpg.
I went through 6 EGR valves. The warrentee for the EGR valve is 100,000 miles. After that it will cost you well over $500 each time.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
TW.. I meet 2 other Sprinter owners this week in Ohio both were new with about 20,000 miles...The one guy was on his second van as the first was replaced under the lemon law and the other guy was on his 3rd erg valve as well.... Still want one?

Marty

Veteran Expediter
The driver who got a new van due to the lemon law was luckier than I. Unfortunetly for me the State of Ohio, in which I live, excludes vehicles used for commercial reasons from its lemon law.
I was promised a new van if mine couldn't be fixed but when after all attempts were exhausted the manufacturer backed out of their promise.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
It seems like the Sprinter is more of a concept vehicle. Seems like alot of complaints with EGR valves ect. I wonder if anyone has this vehicle and has not had problems with it?

comfort king

Expert Expediter
I'm hearing alot about EGR problems with the Sprinter. That's because the Mercedes engine is very efficient and does not like to idle. Excessive idling causes EGR problems along with lower mpg and increased engine wear and $$$$$$. The Espar D2 or D4 are both excellent choices for a Sprinter owner or anyone that would like to increase fuel mileage, reduce engine wear, emissions, and stay comfortable, WITHOUT idling. Call us, we can help. 800.837.3900

comfort king

Expert Expediter
One more thing. Most Espar Heaters are available in petro (gas) versions as well as diesel for you gassers. 800.837.3900.