Sprinter, van, straight truck??

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
I'm getting into the expedited business with a buddy of mine. I've done a lot of research and I'm thinking that my best bet will be to start with a company like Panther then go from there. My question to you learned folks would be what's your opinion on cargo van, sprinter, or straight truck? I've got around 10 grand to invest. My first idea was to be an independent driver but from what I've gathered on here it seems that teaming up may be the way to go. Is the additional miles enough to justify teaming or would I be better off minus the partner? I'm in Louisville, KY and that seems to be a pretty good place as far as freight lanes go and I don't mind staying out for an extended period of time.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated from you fine folks.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Straight truck team will yield the most revenue, assuming you can stand to be cooped up 24/7 in a 50 square foot box with your partner. Minus the partner you'll get about the same miles in a straight truck as you will in a van. As for the ten grand investment, make sure that you don't chunk all of that into the down payment for the truck or van and not have at least $5000 in the bank for the initial operating expenses and emergency fund. Starting out without a substantial initial operating/emergency fund is the surest road to rapid failure in expediting.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
10 grand isn't a whole lot to invest to get into this business. It will provide a down payment on a new or used van, with some left over for setting it up for expediting and reserves. A van is a very small place to live in. Unless you two are real good buddies (same household) I don't think there is enough money to be made and split running a van.

As for a truck, Hours of Service regulations tend to favor teams. If you want to run team, why not try it out with a fleet owner for awhile and save more money before buying?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
10 grand is what you should have in savings for emergencies, try the fleet owner idea and see if you like it then invest in a truck or van, unless you are married and get along good with your spouse a van is very small for two people

dotcommark

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks for the input. Do to some legal issues it looks like the person I was going to team with is out of the picture for now.
I've been seeing some pretty good deals on cargo vans and with limited funds I'm thinking that will be the route to go.
I'm afraid to get locked into a situation driving for an owner realizing that the money isn't going to be that great. If I don't have a decent amount coming in then it will be difficult to put back any for a van. Right now I need about $1000 a month for house payment and bills so that's why I am wanting to buy a van outright so that won't add to my monthly outflow. I was hoping to get into a van, and "fix" it for expediting for around 7 or 8 thousand. By then I'll have a little more saved up, say 5000 in reserve. Hopefully that would be enough to keep me afloat.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I was starting over today I would be in a van, if you can make a van work and make money, then when time comes to replace the van, you cal look at moving up to a truck.and by the way I've always been in a van.

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
MY first year and things that broke on my cv, one tranny, one computer, one alternator, one water pump, one radiator, serpentine belt of course, one tune up, 2 wrecker bills, yes u will need some back up money for sure and don't think u are going to make enough money the first year to save a lot as ur fuel bill will eat u up quick , not to count on 9 bucks a meal if u eat out, frugal frugal frugal is the word. Living in a tuna can for 2 will get close, I don't recommend it, but that's my opinion, good luck,to u both..............

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Another thing about teaming is don't think that twice the drivers means twice the miles and twice the pay.

One way to start with a van is to sell your car/truck and then replace it with a cargo van. In other words, don't leave money parked in a driveway somewhere.

eb