Sprinter Transmission

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
After 658K mi my transmission has finally decided it has had enough! The fluid was changed regularly & the torque converter drained properly. In all honesty, I have not been kind to it. I've demanded allot from that specific part. I think the temps were just too high the past couple of days .... blazing heat.

Sprinter owners! Who has had to replace the transmission in their NCV3 2007-2009 Sprinter?
Performance?

Mercedes in Midland, TX has quoted $14K+ for a reman, parts & labor. Yeah right, that's not gonna happen.

Silver Star Transmission, OKC ....?
Jasper Transmission, Jasper, IN ....?

Any feedback is appreciated ....

Last edited:
Reactions: hdxpedx

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Silver Star quoted $2,800 for a reman.
It includes the torque converter and & fluid.
100K mi warranty
$200 next day shipping

$3K ...

Reactions: danthewolf00

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One more note ....
Mercedes here will let me purchase a unit and they'll install it.
Labor - $1,750 ..... their hourly labor rate is an eye popping $175 per ..

Reactions: mccll01

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have a Silverstar in my Sprinter.

The book time on a transmission swap is 10 hours. The real time is 5-6 hours. Any experienced mechanic can swap it out.

Reactions: Grizzly

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Silverstar in my Sprinter.

The book time on a transmission swap is 10 hours. The real time is 5-6 hours. Any experienced mechanic can swap it out.

Thanks ...
That's what I figured.
How's the Silverstar been?

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One more note ....

I went with the Silver Star for mine. I'd call around for install rates and have it towed elsewhere, if needed.

Reactions: dalscott and Turtle

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
One more note ....

I went with the Silver Star for mine. I'd call around for install rates and have it towed elsewhere.

Yeah, that's what I'm researching ....
How's the SilverStar? Current mileage on it?

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
How's the Silverstar been?
Top notch. I change the fluid every 35,000 to 50,000 miles, erring closer to the lower figure (per Silverstar recommendation).

The OEM transmission lasted me 372,000, which is in the middle of the typical 350,000-400,000 shelf life range of the OEMs. The Silverstar has 401,000 on it now, but I expect it to last quite a while longer since I've been changing the fluid at half the mileage intervals I did with the original.

If this one were to go down tomorrow (or, hey, even today) I'd get another Silverstar.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The interval on my Sprinter for fluid is every 60K ....
I'd change it between 50-60K ....
Currently it was at 39K ....

sigh ...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The interval recommendations have certainly changed over the years. In the manual for those early Sprinters (mine is 2005) flatly states change the fluid "once only at 80,000 miles." A lot of people did just that, and then replaced the transmission at 250,000-300,000 miles. Turned out, if it's going to fail around 300,000 miles anyway why waste all that time, money and fluid.

On the other hand, one arguably meaningless anecdote is the guy out of Louisville who delivered newspapers down to Western Kentucky every day, religiously changed his fluid out at a place in Paducah every 20,000 to 25, 000 miles and finally replaced the original transmission at just over 900,000 miles. So there is that.

The note from Silverstar that came with my transmission said every 35,000 miles, but in a phone conversion they said I could stretch that, but no more than 50,000 miles, and only then if using their fluid (more on that below). Since I've had mine, most of the changes have been between 25 000 and 30,000 miles, only because that's just how it worked out. But I still shoot for about 35,000 miles, and once went to 49,000 miles.

Most people far as I know, are in the 60,000 to 80,000 range.

Turtle, did you continue to use Silverstars fluid or did you resume using the MB 236.10/12/14 fluids?
The Silverstar fluid was developed by BG, and is literally the MB 236.10/12 fluid with one can of BG ATC Plus added to it.

4902pre_daab13b5241b774.jpg

I usually get it off eBay.

So I've been using the MB spec fluid, with some of that fluid swapped out for the BG ATC Plus.

I don't know for sure, but I think the MB 236.14 fluid is the same as the 10/12 fluid with the BG added to it. Same performance characteristics, anyway. But I still haven't confirmed that. I would be comfortable using the MB 236.14 fluid and not adding the BG to it. But I've still only used that fluid one time, the most recent fluid change, and all other times I've used the Shell ATF 134 with the BG added.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used the Shell ATF product since I've had the van. Bought it at 110K mi.
Soooo much cheaper than the Mercedes fluid ..

Reactions: hdxpedx

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The 236.14 fluid is sometimes referred to as the 7 speed fluid as it arrived on the scene when the 7 speed/4cyl combo appeared (the 7 speed could not use the 10 or 12 fluids). Like a lot of OEM recommended fluids nowadays it has a lot to do with fuel economy and not so much long life. In the bit of sampling I have seen on the .14 fluid...it isn't nearly as robust a lubricant as the .10/.12 fluids were. The fuel economy needs are a big driver now of lube appoval, so much so that some lubes have to have warning labels stating they are not "approved" for use in California in certain applications. It's pretty nuts.

One note on Turtles fluid cocktail he uses. The Silverstars are rebuilt with a different (and better) clutch material internally that responds quite well to the different oil. The compatibility of oils to the clutches in an auto transmission is paramount to long life, shift quality and lube life. I would caution anyone from using the BG or any other additive really in any properly functioning transmission and for sure an MB unless it is on its deathbed or you know it has been rebuilt with compatible clutch materials.

Silverstars are awesome units...many of the MB 5 speeds they rebuild find their way into drag cars behind Hemi monsters. Gotta be durable for that!

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
PayPal and ebay noticed me checking out transmissions and offered a tranny from over_drive Chicago $2000. 2005 Sprinter, Just had to take it to a shop for installation with signed warranty. Paid $500 labor. A lot cheaper.. Hope this helps. Mine made it 460,000 miles. Now it flys.

Sent from my SM-G930P using EO Forums mobile app

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Silverstar.
I have called at least 15 other shops in town and found one! other shop that will replace it.
Auto shops .... diesel shops .... truck shops .... nobody but nobody wants to touch it.
My home shop, Egolf in Brevard NC, will replace it for less than $600 labor .... love that shop.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I would caution anyone from using the BG or any other additive really in any properly functioning transmission and for sure an MB unless it is on its deathbed or you know it has been rebuilt with compatible clutch materials.
I concur. I really don't think I'd recommend BG ATF Plus for a non-Silverstar transmission. It is a friction modifier and requires the compatible clutch materials (or, as noted, the trans is already slipping and is on its last leg, anyway). The only reason I use it is because Silverstar explicitly recommended it.

On a side note, Chrysler has a Mopar branded bottle of transmission treatment they use in older transmissions that are beginning to slip. The liquid in the bottle is BG ATF Plus.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I change the fluid every 35,000 to 50,000 miles, erring closer to the lower figure (per Silverstar recommendation).
Turtle, is the fluid change for your Sprinter a DIY project? Did the Silverstar come with a drain plug or do you drop the pan? What about filter changes?