Sprinter/Transit/Promaster window insulation set

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Oregon Aero covering is a material called Mordura. It's a high-tech knit fabric comprised of both nylon and polyester yarns with exceptional strength. It has been the fabric of choice for Class 8 heavy-duty truck seating for over thirty-five years, and is also used in hospitality, residential and office situations. About once a year or so I pull the foam out and wash the covers, lay them flat to dry, and give them a good coating of Scotch Guard.

I have the 2-inch seat cushion and the full back with lumbar that is also 2 inches. Over the years (13 years now) my 2 inch seat cushion has become hard and compressed to an inch or less. One of the straps broke loose of the stitching on the full back cushion, because the thread gave out. I ordered a new seat and full back a couple of weeks ago. In black, because they were out of the charcoal fabric.

I talked with them at length about several things. One thing I found out is the average life expectancy of the seat cushions. For most pilots, which is what these are designed for, they last virtually forever., because they're only putting in a few hours a week For short daily flights (2-4 hours a day) or long monthly flights and chair use (8 hours a day), they should last 10-12 years at least. When I'm not driving or in the bunk, I'm still sitting on this cushion, watching TV or on the computer. For that kind of heavy duty usage they would expect 6-8 years. And it was just about 8 years when I noticed mine was compressed too much and not bouncing back. It was just in the last year that I noticed that I was getting stiff and sore after 6 or more hours of driving, so I knew a replacement was coming. The strap that broke lose accelerated the replacement.

But I also found out they sell the Comfor Foam cores for about half the cost of a new cushion. And they do repairs on the covers, as well. Said the charge for repairs depends on the repairs, but for broken stitching it would be minimal, if anything at all. So I plan on ordering new cores for the charcoal covers I have at home, and will send in the full back to be repaired. My stepdad has already gotten fully attached to even the old cushions for his easy chair at home.

I learned before I got he Oregon Aero that the cheaper foam, even more expensive memory foam, didn't really work for me. I found myself having to adjust my position in the seat every few hours to prevent a sore spot from happening, and after 4 or 6 hours I was stiff and sore all over. The Nifty Spiffy NASA Comfor Foam eliminated all of that nonsense.

You can also buy the NASA foam from Aircraft Spruce. The tbacksaver foam and the seat cushion foam are a little different. The Oregon Aero seat cushion is a custom combination of the 3 firmnesses of the foam but all 3 firmnessess can be bought with the 3-inch selection and can be cut to fit in you have a razor sharp fillet knife.

Reactions: RoadTime

guido4475

Not a Member
Mine is 5 years old and finally showing signs of compression. I have the back section that I never used. Anyone wanna make me an offer on that one?