Sprinter?? Transit?? Diesel?? Gas??

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Since my Sprinter is getting higher up in age and mileage (11 years old and 678,000 miles) I have been thinking: What will I replace it with if something major happens to it? There are 3 choices: Sprinter, Transit and ProMaster. I eliminated the ProMaster based on looks alone, so for me, there are two options in the ‘new’ category: Sprinter with the 2.1 liter 4 cylinder engine and 7 speed transmission, or the Transit with the 3.5 liter V6 EcoBoost and 6 speed transmission, or another good ol’ 2004-2006 5 cylinder Sprinter in the ‘used’ category. I would consider the Transit diesel, but there is no info out there on it, so, for now, I will skip it. If money was of no concern, I would just go out and buy the Sprinter since I just like a lot of things about it: looks, range per tank of fuel, torque at lower rpms with no downshifts, and most of all, the awesome diesel sound. But unfortunately, I am a cheap a$$ so I wanted to know how much these two vehicles cost to operate long term.

To find the fuel mileage of these vehicles I tried to find owners that use them the same as me, with the majority of the miles on the highway. I had to discard some of these mileage figures since they were not reliable (I talked with a Transit owner a few months ago and when I asked him what his mileage was, he responded: ‘About 25 mpg since I drove from Cleveland, OH to Detroit, MI on half a tank of gas.’) Enough said. Anyway, there were many more very informative people that I talked to. Thanks go out to all the people that took their time to chat with me about their vehicles.

I looked at these two vehicles from the point of view of a guy that buys a vehicle from the stealership, ie, dealership, drives it as fast away from there as possible, and keeps it away from them as much as possible. I have experience with various dealerships, Ford, Dodge, Honda, VW, and all are about the same. They all try to make as much money off of us as possible, throwing parts at the vehicle that don’t need replacing. So, in my calculations I only included the prices of parts, since I would be the one doing the maintenance. Parts were priced at various local and online parts places that supply original parts or manufacturer approved. I followed what the manufacturer recommends for maintenance intervals.

A few words about the price of fuel. I know that there are gas stations today that sell a gallon of diesel for $1+ more than a gallon of gas, but I don’t buy my fuel there. In my experience, in average, I buy diesel that is only $0.50 more expensive than gas. The extra range of the Sprinter coupled with GasBuddy app help tremendously here. So, I ran the numbers for cheap fuel (diesel $2.50/gallon vs. gas $2.00/gallon) and also expensive fuel (diesel $4.50/gallon vs. gas $4.00/gallon).

So, this is what I came up with, given that both vehicles will be driven 200,000 miles, which is only about 2 years for an expediter.

Sprinter:
Oil Changes every 15,000 miles: 13*$104=$1,352
Transmission Service every 60,000 miles: 3*$150=$450
Fuel Filter every 30,000 miles: 6*$83=$498
Air Filter every 60,000 miles: 3*$18=$54
Rear End every 100,000 miles: 2*$32=$64
Coolant every 150,000 miles: 1*$30=$30
DEF $10 every 3000 miles: 66*$10=$660
Fuel: 23 mpg, $2.50/gallon: $21,739
Fuel: 23 mpg, $4.50/gallon: $39,130
Total cheap fuel: $24,847 or $0.124235 per mile.
Total expensive fuel: $42,238 or $0.21119 per mile.

Transit:
Oil Changes every 10,000 miles: 20*$55=$1,100
Transmission Service every 150,000 miles: 1*$100=$100 –I am assuming here, since all I could find about the transmission is that it doesn’t have the dipstick and to take it to the dealer to deal with it.
Air Filter every 30,000 miles: 6*$16=$96
Rear End every 150,000 miles: 1*$30=$30
Coolant every 100,000 miles: 2*$30=$60
Spark Plugs every 100,000 miles: 2*$36=$72

Fuel: 17 mpg, $2.00/gallon: $23,529
Fuel:17 mpg, $4.00/gallon: $47,058
Total cheap fuel: $24,987 or $0.124935 per mile.
Total expensive fuel: $48,516 or $0.24258 per mile.

So, with the cheap fuel prices we have now, over 200,000 miles a Sprinter will save $140 over the Transit. If the fuel prices go up to $4.00 for gas and $4.50 for diesel, then the Sprinter will save $6,278 in 2 years, or about $261 a month.

The 4 cylinder sprinter owners that I talked to haven’t had DPF/DEF issues yet, so hopefully MB solved some of the issues that plagued the earlier models. Also unknown is how reliable Ford’s twin turbo system is. I am pretty sure that if issues arise, it will not be cheap to fix. Both of these vehicles/engine combos are pretty new so it remains to be seen how reliable they are and how expensive they will be to fix.

My conclusion? I will keep squeezing every penny out of my current Sprinter and revisit the issue when I actually need to buy something. Most probably I will look for a used 2004-2006 Sprinter with its excellent fuel mileage and no DPF/DEF to worry about.

Attachments

• sprinter.jpg
    sprinter.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 46
  • transit.jpg
    transit.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: hdxpedx

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to ask, are you doing all your maintenance yourself? Since, the numbers you put for oil and fuel filter for the sprinter is low by about 60 to 80 bucks depending on where you go. I can't get the service done for less then 185 at the frieghtliner dealer in Dallas and 200+ at the dodge dealer. Now if I was able to use one of those car care places like KarKar or Jiffy lube without fuel filter 80 bucks.

You also forgot to add cab air filters and engine air filters in your numbers.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
or me, since Ive put a new transmission and had there rear end rebuild it would be cheaper for me to drop a new motor in the van if I don't have any other major problems. 10K is cheaper then 45 to 50 K unless you need the extra height of this vans or the extra between the wheel wells 53.5 sprinter and 54 for Tranist. If you were to buy the extended versions then Sprinter would be 15 feet and Transit 14 feet in the cargo area.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since my Sprinter is getting higher up in age and mileage (11 years old and 678,000 miles) I have been thinking: What will I replace it with if something major happens to it? There are 3 choices: Sprinter, Transit and ProMaster. I eliminated the ProMaster based on looks alone,

Don't they all look about the same from the driver's seat? I figured the only thing that mattered how it looked was the bottom line of the spreadsheet.

Reactions: Craincourier

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I have to ask, are you doing all your maintenance yourself? Since, the numbers you put for oil and fuel filter for the sprinter is low by about 60 to 80 bucks depending on where you go. I can't get the service done for less then 185 at the frieghtliner dealer in Dallas and 200+ at the dodge dealer. Now if I was able to use one of those car care places like KarKar or Jiffy lube without fuel filter 80 bucks.

You also forgot to add cab air filters and engine air filters in your numbers.
Yes, those are parts only prices. I do all the maintenance myself.

Yes, i forgot about the cabin air filter, but th engine air filters are in there.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
Don't they all look about the same from the driver's seat? I figured the only thing that mattered how it looked was the bottom line of the spreadsheet.
Maybe they do, but besides the ugliness there are a few other things that prevent me from considering it. If you open the hood you can't even see anything in there, let alone work on that engine. And for a DIY-er like me that is unacceptable.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm not crazy about Fords engine choices. If it were me today I'd go ugly.

Just wondering why everyone seems ok with the 3.6 engine in the Promaster but doesn't think the base 3.7 Transit engine will do the job?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Just wondering why everyone seems ok with the 3.6 engine in the Promaster but doesn't think the base 3.7 Transit engine will do the job?

It's gotta be a Ford/Chrysler thing. We're all "old". The Ford, Chrysler, Chevy, etc that we all grew up with doesn't really apply. They're pretty much all the equivalent of the imports we grew up with. Lots of aluminum, electronics and plastic.
Can't work on them much without a computer.

FlyingVan

Staff member
Owner/Operator
I would like to know that as well. Is it because of aluminum block/aluminum heads on the Ford? I dont know what the Pentastar in the promaster is.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I just feel the base Ford is a weak engine (I think you said it yourself when you drove one). I haven't heard the same about the Dodge (and I'm the furthest thing fromva Chrysler guy)

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just feel the base Ford is a weak engine (I think you said it yourself when you drove one). I haven't heard the same about the Dodge (and I'm the furthest thing fromva Chrysler guy)

Yes, the one I drove felt weak at highway speeds. But I've never driven a PM to compare. The Ford has 5 less hp but rated 1 mpg better and both have the exact same torque numbers. I bought the 3.5 Ecoboost for the fun factor. I still like having lots of power that I'll probably never use.

On the "Ford Transit USA" forums people seem satisfied with the 3.7. Plus the same 3.7 in the F150 has over 300 hp. I'm thinking a programmer/tuner could get that power back. (Like a Bully Dog)

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, the one I drove felt weak at highway speeds. But I've never driven a PM to compare. The Ford has 5 less hp but rated 1 mpg better and both have the exact same torque numbers. I bought the 3.5 Ecoboost for the fun factor. I still like having lots of power that I'll probably never use.

On the "Ford Transit USA" forums people seem satisfied with the 3.7. Plus the same 3.7 in the F150 has over 300 hp. I'm thinking a programmer/tuner could get that power back. (Like a Bully Dog)

That's the great thing about having choices. I just wish GM would get into the game.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Where did you get the MPG from since vans aren't required to post them on the sticker, it has always said N/A.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
.....If you open the hood you can't even see anything in there, let alone work on that engine. And for a DIY-er like me that is unacceptable.

I went for the Nissan NV Hi Roof for the above reason. When you open up the hood, the engine compartment is so big, you can put a ping pong table in here, lol.

Now, I know Nissan's cargo space is a big issue for many expeditors. But for me, it works fine:)

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I went for the Nissan NV Hi Roof for the above reason. When you open up the hood, the engine compartment is so big, you can put a ping pong table in here, lol.

Now, I know Nissan's cargo space is a big issue for many expeditors. But for me, it works fine:)

And that's what it's all about.
YOU being happy with YOUR truck. :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am for the rebuild....For about $20k you could replace the whole drive line from stem to stern with a factory 100,000K warranty....do a $2k to 3k in body work and paint job...maybe $25 K you have a brand new van...that gets a "confirmed" 22 to 27 MPG and none of that DEF crap...

and an abundance of after market parts at a good price...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

I have a 2.7 liter go cart motor in mine, and I've never been stranded half way up a hill yet.

Reactions: brokcanadian